IHSAA 2023 Boys Basketball Tournament

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
PV certainly wasn’t a factor in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. Bettendorf was the big dog over on that side during that time, from a DSM Metro perspective anyway.

Bettendorf at least in football was tough for decades. I'd have to look on titles but they were usually in the thick of things.

The MVC had some really good teams in the 80s/90s.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Well when I was young it was Bettendorf is was very good at sports. I am not sure when they started coming on the scene in sports since I didn't pay much attention.

No doubt about Bettendorf being so strong for so long...but PV has been winning titles in sports other than football and basketball for awhile. I know those sports don't get attention but they are still worthy. I would guess there are many from Davenport who had similar thoughts about Bettendorf in the past.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Bettendorf at least in football was tough for decades. I'd have to look on titles but they were usually in the thick of things.

The MVC had some really good teams in the 80s/90s.

Bettendorf wasn't in the MVC during their title runs...or did you mean MAC? Bettendorf was in the MVC in the early 70s I believe.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I hear ya...the MVC with IC City High, IC West and Cedar Falls...along with Bettendorf dominated football for a stretch. Now DSM area schools are owning it!

Wash, Jeff, Kennedy had plenty of years in the 70s-90s where they were really tough.

And IIRC the Dubuque schools would maybe have teams that weren't great, but tough thorn in the side types.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
CR really just has Xavier. There are a couple of other private schools but I think only one that goes all the way through HS (Cedar Valley Christian) and they don't have much of a sports program. I think they only really field a couple of sports and are quite small.
Cedar valley Christian kids played on wash sports teams when I was there but it was only one kid that I remember doing it and he was 6'5" and a pretty decent lefthanded pitcher.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The Waukee vs Waukee NW game tomorrow is by all accounts the state championship game

Wonder what the crowd will be. What’s capacity for the State Tournament? Gonna be a lot of non-standard attendees with Omaha and Sandfort involved. Not every decade you get a to 10 guy like Omaha. Then throw in having two Top 100 guys going against each other in the same game. Then throw in one going to ISU and one going to Iowa and that seems like a recipe for a big game.

Reactions: dafarmer

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Wash, Jeff, Kennedy had plenty of years in the 70s-90s where they were really tough.

And IIRC the Dubuque schools would maybe have teams that weren't great, but tough thorn in the side types.
Late 70's CR Wash & Hempstead dominated the MVC. Kennedy was solid.

In the 80s Linn Mar (Hired Hempstead DC Greg Purnell) along with Bettendorf & Heelan had a lot of success.

The 90's was basically Bettendorf, IC and ICW.

Since 2000 FB Champs have been CIML teams- mainly Valley & Dowling.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It's a moot point after those last two quarters.

Unrelated: that DMOS ad is insidious.

So is their billing department. Son at Grandview had a charge that we never got a bill for. Then all of the sudden they were going to throw dept collectors on us. They blamed the fact that they "switched billing companies". They admitted they messed up. Then we find out the amount was almost double because they forgot to fill a bill 4 months earlier. I think I will find my own home remedy before I go to them if they were my only choice. Their billing is as bad as their ads!

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I am pretty sure Pleasant Valley is the school that if you are a good athlete anywhere near Betterndorf you are going to be recruited to play for them. That is why the sudden rise has happened with Pleasant Valley. Kind of doing the Des Moines suburb thing taking all the best players to mix with their core students.
That's not true at all

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
PV certainly wasn’t a factor in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. Bettendorf was the big dog over on that side during that time, from a DSM Metro perspective anyway.

PV was a good FB school in the 90's. Growing up in eastern Iowa the FB schools were PV, Bett and IA City high.

Clone23215

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 30, 2022
I’m a PV grad mid 2000s two things has really changed for them
1 the school is growing like crazy class size has almost doubled
2 not losing top athletes to Bettendorf my grade alone had 4 D1 athletes transfer to Bettendorf

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Grand View Christian leading 46-16 in the semifinal at half. It's to the point of complete ridiculousness.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Grand View Christian leading 46-16 in the semifinal at half. It's to the point of complete ridiculousness.
The Grand View Point Guard had like 24 points in the 1st quarter (not half) and basically lives about a 2 min walk from the Bondurant High School. Bondurant seems to be doing well without him, but a fun fact.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
The Grand View Point Guard had like 24 points in the 1st quarter (not half) and basically lives about a 2 min walk from the Bondurant High School. Bondurant seems to be doing well without him, but a fun fact.
His family drove him to Pella Christian from Bounderant through 8th grade. Dad was a pastor and died a couple of years ago i believe.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron