If you were the Big Xll commissioner would you add two more teams?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I'm good with 10 right now, especially in basketball. The caliber of teams looking to move up don't impress me. Cincy? No thanks. UConn, that makes as much sense as WVU did, which didn't make sense at all.

Memphis would intrigue me if they didn't have a football program that was worse than ours.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Were TCU and WVU the right teams to add?

Yes.

As far as TCU, the Big 12 needed to maintain a strong footprint in Texas, and, with aTm going to the SEC, needed to make sure the SEC did not gain too much recruiting ground in Texas.

As far as WV, the Big 12, at that time, was only going to pull from the Big East or a non AQ conference. West Virginia was by far the best team that was willing to come to the Big 12.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I would like to see two divisions for no other reason to have a fighting chance to be a division leader.

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
Were TCU and WVU the right teams to add?

Was texa$ the right team to add? I say we kick them cash-cows out and ask Arkansas to join.
I too like the round robin format...then again - I was o.k. with the Big 8 as it was before we added those other teams thinking we could have added two more teams (maybe Arkansas and Colorado State) and still be a competetive conference before this train wreck of a conference.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Cincinnatti and Memphis should be seriously considered if Memphis can throw some money into the football program. Their stadium is no worse than Kansas'. Their MBB program speaks for itself.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Cincinnatti and Memphis should be seriously considered if Memphis can throw some money into the football program. Their stadium is no worse than Kansas'. Their MBB program speaks for itself.

LOL. ABC/ESPN would prob offer the Big 12 less money by adding those 2 teams.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'd have added BYU and Louisville when the first two teams left, not sure if I'd have added WVU down the road if more left and WVU was available. I'm pretty clear on the record wanting BYU/Louisville immediately when megathread 1.0 was born.

In hindsight I think I was right on Louisville and wrong on BYU.

If Cincy/Tulane, Cincy/BYU or Cincy/UConn are the best possibilities I say no right now. If a better team to pair with Cincy comes available I would pull the trigger. I think we need to look beyond just a pie divided a certain number of ways and think long term stability, growth and brand image.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'd have added BYU and Louisville when the first two teams left, not sure if I'd have added WVU down the road if more left and WVU was available. I'm pretty clear on the record wanting BYU/Louisville immediately when megathread 1.0 was born.

In hindsight I think I was right on Louisville and wrong on BYU.

If Cincy/Tulane, Cincy/BYU or Cincy/UConn are the best possibilities I say no right now. If a better team to pair with Cincy comes available I would pull the trigger. I think we need to look beyond just a pie divided a certain number of ways and think long term stability, growth and brand image.

Someone needs to explain to me how having more teams in your conference helps with stability and image.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Someone needs to explain to me how having more teams in your conference helps with stability and image.

It doesn't automatically but less teams doesn't automatically either.

-A championship game has some pluses and minuses but it seems the positives outweigh the negatives.

-If expansion (or even potential contraction) happens where teams are not left on an island like WVU it could help.

-The Big Ten is strong in spite of it's name, not because of it. There is definitely a value to the Big 12 having 12 teams and there is definitely short term loss in changing the name completely, it's the field I work in so I'm quite certain there's some value here. It's likely small compared to others but it's definitely there.

-Imagine where the old Big 8 would have been if it had never changed. ISU/KSU/KU = completely screwed when Neb leaves for Big Ten, Mizzou leaves for SEC, then likely OU/OSU go PAC or SEC. May not have happened just like that, but certainly possible.

Just a few. I think people who think expansion automatically helps or automatically hurts are being silly. Nobody knows for sure in either direction, but many pretend to.

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Stability no way. Brand image possible. We probably don't seem as cache as the other big boy conferences because we don't have a title game.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It doesn't automatically but less teams doesn't automatically either.

-A championship game has some pluses and minuses but it seems the positives outweigh the negatives.

-If expansion (or even potential contraction) happens where teams are not left on an island like WVU it could help.

-The Big Ten is strong in spite of it's name, not because of it. There is definitely a value to the Big 12 having 12 teams and there is definitely short term loss in changing the name completely, it's the field I work in so I'm quite certain there's some value here. It's likely small compared to others but it's definitely there.

-Imagine where the old Big 8 would have been if it had never changed. ISU/KSU/KU = completely screwed when Neb leaves for Big Ten, Mizzou leaves for SEC, then likely OU/OSU go PAC or SEC. May not have happened just like that, but certainly possible.

Just a few. I think people who think expansion automatically helps or automatically hurts are being silly. Nobody knows for sure in either direction, but many pretend to.

I definitely agree with your last paragraph. The only thing I will add is the Big 12 is as stable as it has ever been right now, and it only seems to be getting stronger. Right now I'll go with the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality.

Stability no way. Brand image possible. We probably don't seem as cache as the other big boy conferences because we don't have a title game.

But no other conference plays a full round robin. I personally believe playing a full round robin to determine a champ says a lot more then determining a champ based off one game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really wish mizzou and nebraska were still in the big 12. Mizzou at least.

Yeah, me too. This whole conference realignment BS was stupid. I think Nebraska and Mizzou wish they were still in the Big 12 too actually. Mizzou fans hate being in the SEC. Geographically it stinks for their fans. And it's really hurt Nebraska in recruiting too. Nebraska has a tougher time in Texas now since they don't play down there at all anymore.

I actually wish we still had Colorado too. Just give me the old Big 12 back again. That was still the best IMO.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
what about Colorado State or Air Force? I bet the Big 12 would love to get back into CO (as would I)

I would LOVE to host a tailgate every other year.....

I still hold on to my conspiracy theory that CSU's new stadium is an attempt to be lured into a bigger conference, i.e. Big 12.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I'd love for us to add 2 awful football teams that have the potential to become OK, just so we might have a chance at a division title and a berth in the championship game.

Colorado State and New Mexico are two schools I'd love to see us consider. But, they offer nothing for TV and are horrible in football.

It's BYU & Cincy or no one at this point. Obviously they don't offer enough or it would have happened.

Why did Nebraska have to screw it all up and ruin the old Big 12? I miss those days. The traitor schools ruined a great conference and decades of tradition. Shame on them.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
When the next wave of realignment hits (it won't be for awhile) West Virginia will probably move to the ACC, and the Big 12 will probably take Clemson and Florida State from the ACC. Those are two rivals that can stay rivals in a much better football conference. Now do I stay at 11, or do I find another? I think I have to find another to keep up with the SEC and Big 10. So I add Louisville from the ACC or perhaps a team from the SEC or Big 10 that wants out. Those two conferences will eventually implode. They're a ticking time bomb.

Really? What makes you say that?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron