If you could take 1 former Cyclone and add them to the current roster, who would you choose and why?

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
I’d have to say Royce or Marcus. They are probably the two most imposing players I’ve ever seen where and isu uniform.

A wild card would be Deandre Kane. He was just a bad dude on the court who seemed to hate losing.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I mean Tinsley is one of the GOATs. And so is Georges.

But I feel like this team needs some beef.

So that probably means Fizer. I thought about Royce, but I don't think he fits this "team aspect" and would be diving after loose balls like they do. Fizer would.

Reactions: Wally86

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Fizer. While it’s understandable to want that sniper, that becomes less important when you’re giving shooters wide open looks at 3s. Fizer would dominate the paint so badly that he would naturally open up shooters. And let’s not forget the defense upgrade he’d bring.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked and CYDJ

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have never seen. 6 foot 4 basketball player that could score amongst the trees like him but I am going with White on this one.

The original Mismatch nightmare. I think it’s important to look at this strategically. Royce would basically make Ty Hunter irrelevant and I don’t think having a a non-factorfrom 3 and a liability at the line would be a good fit for this team. Now someone you can get posted up on the block and score consistently down low? That’s what we need.

In all honesty my KP comment was tic but realistically Jared Homan might be the answer to this question if we aren’t going to change the style/strategy of the current team.

Reactions: werdnamanhill

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
Fizer and Hercle Ivy. Okay that's two. But Fizer and Hercle Ivy. No three point line back then but Hercle would probably shoot 50% if he was shooting from out on Lincoln Way.

Reactions: 2122

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Real Answer: Big man. 1) Fizer 2) Royce 3) Cato 4) Georges 5) McKay

Fun Answers for more offense/flair: 1) Tyrus McGee 2) DeAndre Kane 3) Dustin Hogue 4) JVB

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Jeff Grayer:
6-5 / 200
20 ppg, 7 rpg
53% FG, 69% FT
mid-range jumpers all day
Big 8 all-defense team 4 times (in an era when the Big 8 had Danny Manning, Mitch Richmond, Harvey Grant, Derrick Chievous, Ron Kellogg, Dave Hoppen, Anthony Bowie, and Wayman Tisdale)

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Jeff Grayer:
6-5 / 200
20 ppg, 7 rpg
53% FG, 69% FT
mid-range jumpers all day
Big 8 all-defense team 4 times (in an era when the Big 8 had Danny Manning, Mitch Richmond, Harvey Grant, Derrick Chievous, Ron Kellogg, Dave Hoppen, Anthony Bowie, and Wayman Tisdale)

Grayer and Brockington would dunk and mid-range teams to death and it would be amazing to watch. It would be completely demoralizing.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
This team needs some muscle in the front court and some scoring, Fizer is the answer.

Ning was amazing for us, but I don't see him delivering on defense like what we are seeing from TJs team. You can't have a weak link in this or all the help and rotations break down.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There are a lot of good choices. Need to start with what does the team need the most? IMHO they need another big guy. Jones is a liability out there most of the time, and he is never going to score a lot. Conditt is okay, but gets in foul trouble, and he is not a threat outside 10 feet. What they really need is a scorer that can rebound and that doesn't take off defense.

White might be a great option. Niang would probably be my choice. He mostly checks all the boxes. Good scorer both inside and out. Can rebound. Can sorta defend the post. Makes his FTs. Great leader. Burton would be good to have too.

Really hoping that the King kid can play in January. Not the perfect answer, but getting another physical big guy is going to keep other guys fresh and out of foul trouble. Might as well get him playing. ISU is going to be a whole new team again next year unless a couple seniors decide to take their Covid year.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Fizer.

No explanation needed.
Royce White. All we are missing is a dominant big man.
Marcus Fizer is the easy choice.

Victor Alexander would actually be quite interesting.

As would Zaid-Abdul Aziz.

Heck, Royce White even.

Any of those, and this team makes a deep run.
I will give Victor Alexander some respect and love. I think he averaged 19 or 20 ppg game his first 3 years. He was here 4 years and in his Senior year (4th) he averaged 23.4 ppg, and 9 rebounds. That could work! Plus I think he had a nice NBA career.
1990-91 Iowa State Cyclones Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Jeff Grayer
Hard to argue against Grayer. He was the man!

Reactions: madguy30

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Let's get Dustin Hogue in there and we hold teams to under 30 regularly lol
cropped_hogue-kick.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron