If you could go back in time and add a past Cyclone player to this year's team.....

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: If you could go back in time and add a past Cyclone player to this year's team...

Gary Thompson - he beat Wilt Chamberlain

Interestingly this is more true than we might think. If I recall correctly in at least one game they played some sort of a junk/hybrid defense like a box and one with the diminutive Mr. Thompson on Wilt the Stilt.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Re: If you could go back in time and add a past Cyclone player to this year's team...

While I'm tempted to say Grayer - he's my favorite Cyclone EVER and would be awesome - I've gotta go with Royce. Just thinking about a front line of Georges, Royce, and Jameel.....you would have two of the hardest players in the tournament to defend (on the court at the same time!) plus an athletic shot-blocker who can run and alley-oop with the best of them. Monte and Naz would have zillions of wide-open threes. <beginning to drool>

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

A few of many potential candidates, removing Fizer & Tinsley, with an eye toward “missing elements” for this year’s team:
Chris Babb — lock-down defender who also can shoot (not the most obvious choice, but would help in context of this unit and also fits chemistry of Hoiberg system)
Barry Stevens — an outside shooter like that, in this offense? Wow.
Jeff Hornacek — I’d even take 10 minutes of Horny per game to give Morris rest, with zero drop-off.
Victor Alexander — smooth, productive presence in the paint
Fred Hoiberg, Dedric Willoughby — cannot go wrong
Jeff Grayer — No need to explain
An animal-rebounder from Floyd/LE era

This tells me how many current fans know very little about our program. Grayer only played for Orr. How can u be a cyclone fan and say he played for LE? Lol. I think a lot on here are young, which is fine, but have no clue how good Grayer was. Grayer Avg 21 ppg for his entire career!! Not one year but career! He also avg 7.3RPG, 2 assists and nearly 2 steals per game for his career folks. its fun to dream.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

Dedric Willoughby hands down to questions asked. Start him at the 2.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

This tells me how many current fans know very little about our program. Grayer only played for Orr. How can u be a cyclone fan and say he played for LE? Lol. I think a lot on here are young, which is fine, but have no clue how good Grayer was. Grayer Avg 21 ppg for his entire career!! Not one year but career! He also avg 7.3RPG, 2 assists and nearly 2 steals per game for his career folks. its fun to dream.

Did he say he played for LE and TF, or is the last guy on his list "An animal-rebounder from Floyd/LE era'?

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa

Jeff Hornacek as a pin-point passer and dead-eye three point shooter gets no love today?

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa

The correct answer is Jeff Hornacek. He could run the offense and be an outside threat. Also a sneaky good defender.
Did not see on page 2.

MayorsAge

Mar 24, 2014

Brackins has good size and could fill it up too. Not great but seems to get overlooked a bit

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

With all this talk about Royce, I wonder if he's thinking the same thing as Matt Leinert and The Boz?

[video=youtube;-IyyQnRwijY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IyyQnRwijY[/video]

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Jeff Hornacek as a pin-point passer and dead-eye three point shooter gets no love today?

I love Hornacek, but I don't think that's what we are missing on this years team. He would fit in great though. Would be nice to address a weakness for the 2015 club.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

I am taking out Fizer and Tinsley b/c they would be an obvious choice, but I am talking about players other than those 2 players.....Mainly b/c they would replace Monte and potentially Niang, and I think we would want to keep those guys.

Would you add Fred? How about Kato? Kato and McKay in our front line? Kenny Pratt? Dedric Willoughby? Scott Bankhead?

Don't forget about the founding fathers of Hilton Magic. Stevens, Grayer, Hornecek, Tompkins...

You can even go way back in time and bring back The Roland Rocket, or even Waldo Wegner.

Who would you add and why? Which would help us the most?

Jared Homan. Basically a Hogue/Spangler type guy. Love those types of guys.

Didn't he have something like 20 pts and 20 rebounds in his last game (vs eventual NC North Carolina in the second round)??

We could use him on the glass for sure.

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Royce White for sure.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Jared Homan. Basically a Hogue/Spangler type guy. Love those types of guys.

Didn't he have something like 20 pts and 20 rebounds in his last game (vs eventual NC North Carolina in the second round)??

We could use him on the glass for sure.

19 and 20. I think that is still the last time ISU has had a player snare 20+ rebounds in a game.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa

Tyrus McGee - imagine this team with a solid, 45%, knock-down Trey sniper.

McGee was my first thought followed by Babb. Imagine this year's team with McKay on the inside and McGee coming in to light it up.... unstoppable they would be.