If we start 4-0 Gameday is coming to Ames.

cymark23

Aug 11, 2006
ok there's enough crack head in Iowa City who don't see the "real" football world clear glasses. GameDay will never come to Ames until we win a big game, meaning get to large bowl game or Big 12 championship game, then maybe the following year, may get consideration. Been attending games for thirty years

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Not saying, but just saying....don't dismiss this "rumor". There might be something to it, just certainly nothing set in stone...

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
I said earlier I will believe it when I see it, though there would be some really good "story" angles they could play up. I could see how it might be attractive to ESPN.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If a black and a woman can run for President/VP in 08, why not ESPN Dark Zone coming to Ames? Why not? Blame it on climate change?

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I said earlier I will believe it when I see it, though there would be some really good "story" angles they could play up. I could see how it might be attractive to ESPN.

In 2002 there was some really good "story" angles too:

1) ISU ranked in the top 25 for the first time since ???
2) A Heisman front-runner leading the team
3) McCarney building the program to a certain level
4) Having a chance against Nebraska for the first time in a while
5) Nebraska being ranked in the top 25
6) ISU actually beating Nebraska and knocking them out of the top 25

I don't want to say "never", but to think that they didn't come during a time where ISU football was being put on the map, playing against a traditional powerhouse, and with a Heisman candidate on one of the teams, it doesn't make me all that optomistic that a potential 4-0 ISU team (which will likely NOT be ranked at all), against a potential 4-0 Kansas team (which will possibly be ranked top 10) would garner Gameday.

I'd like to think that one day our program is big enough that they will come, but honestly, there aren't enough reasons to come to Ames this year, especially that early in the season.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
In 2002 there was some really good "story" angles too:

1) ISU ranked in the top 25 for the first time since ???
2) A Heisman front-runner leading the team
3) McCarney building the program to a certain level
4) Having a chance against Nebraska for the first time in a while
5) Nebraska being ranked in the top 25
6) ISU actually beating Nebraska and knocking them out of the top 25

I don't want to say "never", but to think that they didn't come during a time where ISU football was being put on the map, playing against a traditional powerhouse, and with a Heisman candidate on one of the teams, it doesn't make me all that optomistic that a potential 4-0 ISU team (which will likely NOT be ranked at all), against a potential 4-0 Kansas team (which will possibly be ranked top 10) would garner Gameday.

I'd like to think that one day our program is big enough that they will come, but honestly, there aren't enough reasons to come to Ames this year, especially that early in the season.

The biggest story line this year could be Kansas from last year out of nowhere and being 4-0 this year vs. this years potential Kansas. I am just trying to see how it would be justified, plus you have an AD that actively promotes these types of things to garner more exposure. I just think the double Cinderella scenario would make for a better story than 2002 did with a fading Nebraska. JMO

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Since this thread won't die, and I can't concentrate on real work on the day before the big game, I decided to do some research.

I've been one of the people here saying "never say never" to the possibility of this. Even if we're both 4-0 (and that's a huge "if"), I don't personally believe they'll come, but I'm also not going to rule it out.

However, you also have to look at the facts: based on history, Gameday almost always goes to a game featuring two teams from the Top 25. Using this week's coaches' poll (and I realize it could be drastically different by Oct. 4th), that includes...

(1) USC @ (14) Oregon
(16) Alabama @ (2) Georgia (I would see this as a real possibility except they also did this game last year)
(5) Ohio State @ (10) Wisconsin
(13) Arizona State @ (25) California

There are also three games with one team in the Top 25 and the other currently getting votes...

(6) Missouri @ Nebraska
(8) Texas @ Colorado
(9) Auburn @ Vanderbilt

I see one other possibility, based on ESPN's tendency to look for "stories"--Navy @ Air Force.

Like I said, the poll could change drastically between now and then, and if ISU and KU are both 4-0, there's a possibility our game could be one of those that falls under that category of one team in the Top 25 and the other getting votes.

Just some things to ponder.

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You know, at this point I think Kansas may actually make a weaker argument in this scenario than ISU. Sure, KU is ranked, but to this point they haven't exactly impressed in their first two games. They could also be in for a fight at USF tomorrow. I don't think Gameday would come even if both teams were 4-0, but at this point I think KU could drop the ball on their end as easily as we could.

That said, how much things have changed in college football in a couple years. If we were playing this seasons schedule a few years ago, I think we could have had a real shot at Gameday in week 7 with a 6-0 ISU (beating SDSU, Kent St, Iowa, UNLV, KU, Baylor) hosting traditional power Nebraska. Shocking how KU has gone from a pretty sure W to a top ten team, while Nebraska has managed quite the opposite...... that said maybe there is still a chance of a 6-0 ISU hosting Nebby...

Help Support Us

Become a patron