If we fire Messingham what type of OC could we get?

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Since we are just spit-balling here, I'm going to mention former Cal head coach, Jeff Tedford. The guy has been working on the offense side of the ball since 1992 with coaching stops at Fresno State, Oregon, and obviously California. He also has a pretty impressive list of quarterback that made it into the NFL (Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, and Aaron Rodgers).

Now I don't know if ISU would have enough pull to bring him to the Midwest since he is a west coast guy, and most of his experience comes that part of country. Not mention he was fired in 2012 while having 3 years left on his contract so he was/still is owed $6.8 million, and I don't know if there would be language in his contact that states he wouldn't be able to receive what he is owed if he were to gain employment elsewhere. Just figured I would list another name who is probably long-shot.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I really hope CPR has the stones to hire Mangino. MM had issues at KU, but the stress level should be lower as an OC without the full weight (pun intended) of the program on him. He's a proven Big12 OC and he did wonders with QBs at KU. He could get a ton more out of Sam and Grant.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Since we are just spit-balling here, I'm going to mention former Cal head coach, Jeff Tedford. The guy has been working on the offense side of the ball since 1992 with coaching stops at Fresno State, Oregon, and obviously California. He also has a pretty impressive list of quarterback that made it into the NFL (Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, and Aaron Rodgers).

Now I don't know if ISU would have enough pull to bring him to the Midwest since he is a west coast guy, and most of his experience comes that part of country. Not mention he was fired in 2012 while having 3 years left on his contract so he was/still is owed $6.8 million, and I don't know if there would be language in his contact that states he wouldn't be able to receive what he is owed if he were to gain employment elsewhere. Just figured I would list another name who is probably long-shot.

Tedford would be awesome. He will probably just cash checks until he get another HC shot though. He's too good not to.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
My name in the hat is Trent Green. Current NFL brodcaster. I listen to his analysis every week on 810. He's obviously knowledgeble, but it'd be a question of whether he even wanted to tackle the job.

Ideally I'd like them to find someone with experience, but hard to get someone like that in Ames. Better off getting the right young guy and risk losing him after a few years.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If we can't get an established OC I would like to get a QB coach from an established offense. Not sure who best fits that bill though.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
How about a great recruiter who can prevent injuries.

Still go back to the UNI game where we had a healthy team (a half with a banged up QB) and we were still out played by a second division .500 team. At home.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What about current Hattiesburg HS OC Brett Favre?

Or can't we just get some faculty/students to build a computer that calculates what the most effective play in any given situation would be? If we don't win at least we get to beat the crap out of it, which unfortunately we can't, nay, won't do with the current OC.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
What about current Hattiesburg HS OC Brett Favre?

Or can't we just get some faculty/students to build a computer that calculates what the most effective play in any given situation would be? If we don't win at least we get to beat the crap out of it, which unfortunately we can't, nay, won't do with the current OC.

I wonder if a clipboard holder like Sage might actually be a better coach than someone like Favre,

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Did anybody see 60 minutes last night? The piece on Saban where they were in a meeting and he says. "We can't be getting to the line then standing there waiting on the shot clock ticking down waiting for the play." I wonder if CPR has ever said this to Mess. The other thing I took away from that piece was that Saban doesn't let his players worry about what the other team is going to do. They coach the kids to play a certain way, them require them to play that way. Think CPR and the coaching staff could have learned something from that last night.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Did anybody see 60 minutes last night? The piece on Saban where they were in a meeting and he says. "We can't be getting to the line then standing there waiting on the shot clock ticking down waiting for the play." I wonder if CPR has ever said this to Mess. The other thing I took away from that piece was that Saban doesn't let his players worry about what the other team is going to do. They coach the kids to play a certain way, them require them to play that way. Think CPR and the coaching staff could have learned something from that last night.

Sorry but after a dose of kaopectate and my glass of warm milk I just couldn't stay up for it.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
I think Sage would be a great fit right now for this team and coaching staff. The guy has read defenses his entire life, and he would also be the QB coach..since you know, he was an NFL QB and last I checked Mess wasn't

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

Tedford wouldn't take our job. He's got too many other options, inlcuding being mentioned as a potential HC at USC. Personally, I think he looked pretty average after Aaron Rogers left Cal. Jeff kept getting 4* and 5* talent and continually underachieved. He did have a good run up at Oregon though.

More realistically, I think someone of his caliber (not him) could be brought in as a consultant to do a complete evaluation of our offense during the offseason. Use something like that to help get a new young OC installed. It would help CPR too.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
As I stated earlier, Lincoln Riley (OC at Eastern Carolina) would be a great hire if you are looking for a young, talented coach.

Another candidate that i really like is Bob Stitt, head coach of the Colorado School of Mines. (Say What ???) He is an alum of Doane College, in Nebraska. I have linked an article (on Bob Stitt) from USA Today. Bob Stitt's offense: A college football gold mine

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
As I stated earlier, Lincoln Riley (OC at Eastern Carolina) would be a great hire if you are looking for a young, talented coach.

Another candidate that i really like is Bob Stitt, head coach of the Colorado School of Mines. (Say What ???) He is an alum of Doane College, in Nebraska. I have linked an article (on Bob Stitt) from USA Today. Bob Stitt's offense: A college football gold mine

I'm always hesitant about small schools coaches, but I'd take him. At this point anyone but Mess.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron