If we fire Messingham what type of OC could we get?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'd like to see Balance

I would be leary of Mumme since he was fired as head coach at Kentucky due to NCAA violations.

I would like an offense that is balanced run/pass and combines under center/shot gun formations. I think it is easy to fall in love with offenses that throw 50x a game, but most of those teams lose more than they win. They just put their defense on the field too much. What Leach did at TT is the exception, not the rule for teams that don't recruit from a large instate base.

IMO CPR needs to focus on an OC who can develop an O-line. I also think the defensive coaches need to re-evaluate recruiting /development of the front seven. Bend/don't break doesn't work when you can't stop the run.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Who's the OC at N. Illinois? The Huskies have the 4th ranked offense in the country per ESPN.

Link: 2013 NCAA Division I-A College Football Team Statistics Leaders for Total - ESPN

Could we hire him?

Edit: His name is Bob Cole. Anyone in the know about this guy besides running the 4th ranked offense in BCS?

Here's his bio, which probably doesn't tell a lot. He seems to lack both starz and offerz.

Bob Cole Bio - NIUHUSKIES.COM - The Northern Illinois Official Athletic Site

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
The thing I am most excited about for football season is the search for a new O-Coordinator; although, I am ready to be disappointed.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
In typical ISU fashion, it will be one of 2 scenarios,
a.) Messingham will still be the OC in Ames.
b.) It will be an underwhelming hire from a place like Ball State.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wouldn't mind hiring inside the Big 12; someone who knows what it takes to have an effective offense in this conference. Hell, bring in K-State's OC, that would be GREAT!

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
ISU had a good OC and let him get away. Unfortunately if you fire a coordinator after a couple years there isn't going to be a long list of guys wanting to step into a situation that unstable. A prerequisite for any coach with a respectable résumé would be complete autonomy to run the offense his way with his quarterback and I'm not sure Rhoads is willing to relinquish that much control.

I don't see ISU doing much better than Messingham and maybe with a healthier team next year he can get results.

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
Three names- all have holes in the resume but all have succeeded in tough environments too. Each can also recruit. Canales could succeed Mac- Brookhart was the golden boy of football 10 years ago and if he came- Sturdy can go to QB coach. We could do worse- we are doing worse

Les Koenning - Assistant Coach - Mississippi State University Bulldogs Official Athletic Site - HailState.com

Ex-CU assistant J.D. Brookhart leaving college coaching - The Denver Post
Mike Canales Bio - MEANGREENSPORTS.COM - The University of North Texas Official Athletic Site

To replace our DB coach (who is doing awful) This guy will cost us some $$$$
The Official Website of Eastern Michigan Athletics - 2013 Football Coaching Staff

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I'd like to see us go with a triple-option offense. We'll have the talent at the skill positions in the coming seasons to make it work, assuming we can find another Woody type for the fullback. This offense doesn't require a QB with exceptional skill to make it work, just someone heady enough to go through the reads and pick up the easy yards if need be. It doesn't require a particularly dominating offensive line either.We can't run the same types of flashy spread offenses that OU/OSU/Texas run. It's tough to beat them at their own game, when they get 5 star recruits, and we get 3 star guys. An option offense would give us our own unique niche that many of the coaches haven't faced before. Defenses will have only a week to prepare for a scheme we spend a whole season perfecting. In short, the beauty of the triple option comes in the scheme, and not the athletes. That's exactly what a team in a non-pipeline state like us needs.The difficult part will be finding someone who's skilled enough in the offense to run it effectively, without much oversight from the head coach. Coach Rhoads will also have to let go control of the offense, and totally trust someone from the outside, which I don't know if he'd want to do.

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
I'd like to see us go with a triple-option offense. We'll have the talent at the skill positions in the coming seasons to make it work, assuming we can find another Woody type for the fullback. This offense doesn't require a QB with exceptional skill to make it work, just someone heady enough to go through the reads and pick up the easy yards if need be. It doesn't require a particularly dominating offensive line either.We can't run the same types of flashy spread offenses that OU/OSU/Texas run. It's tough to beat them at their own game, when they get 5 star recruits, and we get 3 star guys. An option offense would give us our own unique niche that many of the coaches haven't faced before. Defenses will have only a week to prepare for a scheme we spend a whole season perfecting. In short, the beauty of the triple option comes in the scheme, and not the athletes. That's exactly what a team in a non-pipeline state like us needs.The difficult part will be finding someone who's skilled enough in the offense to run it effectively, without much oversight from the head coach. Coach Rhoads will also have to let go control of the offense, and totally trust someone from the outside, which I don't know if he'd want to do.

index.jpg

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Three names- all have holes in the resume but all have succeeded in tough environments too. Each can also recruit. Canales could succeed Mac- Brookhart was the golden boy of football 10 years ago and if he came- Sturdy can go to QB coach. We could do worse- we are doing worse

Les Koenning - Assistant Coach - Mississippi State University Bulldogs Official Athletic Site - HailState.com

Mike Canales Bio - MEANGREENSPORTS.COM - The University of North Texas Official Athletic Site

The Official Website of Eastern Michigan Athletics - 2013 Football Coaching Staff

LOL. Our DBs coach is awful? Ok, whatever that's a fine opinion but then you think you are going to hire Ron English who is a head coach and previously successful DC to come in and replace him? Then you have a figurehead in Koenig as the answer to OC? Brookhardt doesn't want to coach anymore. Canales may be okay but he probably doesn't have the chops for the Big 12.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Triple option offenses exist in places where the program cannot develop adequate size along the Oline. It's a gimmick to offset the size disadvantage they have. Yeah, it sometimes works, but you will get beat by teams with more talent. We also don't have QBs for this outside of maybe Lanning. It's a ridiculous suggestion.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Pretty sure that Miami proved teams with speed will destroy the triple-option.
Big 12 teams try to build on speed.
We'd probably be better off taking a knee.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.

I don't think English lasts another season after his Eagles go 1-11 or 2-10. So he may be looking for a job anyway.

I mentioned Canales in a thread about Coach Mac the other day. I would suspect he'll be taking over at UNT as well, but maybe not. I'm not familiar with his recruiting abilities but he's coached some successful QB's in the past. And I think we could use all the connections in Texas that we could get.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

I don't know where you are getting that from.

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
Guessing you did not like those- that's cool- just thoughts I threw out there. I agree w. your ideas for offense- fast, spread, attack and score. Also agree CPR needs to let go- so to speak. If you think this secondary is good- you know nothing about football and I am guessing you must know something. Awful, awful play from a unit most felt was possibly our strongest. Poor technique and regression. English is just a dream-agreed. Too good to come here for sure. I noticed you have yet to make any suggestions- just criticism of others opinion. Any suggestion of possible candidates or are you going to keep this current passive-aggressive trend going?
LOL. Our DBs coach is awful? Ok, whatever that's a fine opinion but then you think you are going to hire Ron English who is a head coach and previously successful DC to come in and replace him? Then you have a figurehead in Koenig as the answer to OC? Brookhardt doesn't want to coach anymore. Canales may be okay but he probably doesn't have the chops for the Big 12.