If the B12 remains intact and moves forward

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I wouldn't want to go full MACtion and play on Tuesdays or something, but if we would get more money by adding additional Thursday and Friday night games, let's do it. The B1G recently added Fridays so there is clearly money there. I'd prefer not to compete with high school football but we gotta do what we gotta do.
REGULAR Thursday and Friday night games are going to do wonders for the gameday atmosphere at JTS-not. And we will be the ones the network will demand as we will be one of the top teams in the league, horrible in November/December; bad other times! Our brand is enhanced by our gameday atmosphere, hope we don't lose what we have.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sure.

just making sure all the people trying to pretend this is really gonna be ok because we can win in the Mac understand how completely wrong they are.

plus, this game is literally still in the first quarter. Speculating on elevating g5 schools which will ultimately cost 40- 50 million dollars in your athletic budget, isn’t really a choice. It’s an ending
In a couple posts you managed to go from 20 MM hit to a 50 MM hit. I’m curious how far you think this will go.

Reactions: Cyzmc and HouClone

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
REGULAR Thursday and Friday night games are going to do wonders for the gameday atmosphere at JTS-not. And we will be the ones the network will demand as we will be one of the top teams in the league, horrible in November/December; bad other times! Our brand is enhanced by our gameday atmosphere, hope we don't lose what we have.

There is tension between being fan friendly and building the best program. We could add Northern Illinois and South Dakota State for drivable games and we could play them all at times Pollard chooses for maximum tailgating. But that means no money.

Even if the new Big 12 played one weeknight game per week throughout the entire season, that’s just one home game per school per year. Not exactly going to destroy ISU or the fan experience. One of the best crowds I remember was the Thursday night game vs Texas when Jeremiah George stuffed them at the goal line but we got screwed on the video review.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Don’t the presidents make these decisions? People underestimate the cultural fit Colorado State would be. Land Grant Ag school in old Big 12 territory. Don’t count them out.

I don’t understand the love for the bloated city colleges. Commuter schools don’t have any real fans. Houston cheers for A&M, UCF cheers the Gators. Memphis & Cincy fans may actually show up, however.
Cincy can draw TV viewers. 2019 Cincy-Memphis drew 2.5 mil. It was a good slot -network Black Friday. The same slot the next year had Iowa-Neb, which got just under 2.7. UCF can at times too.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
There is tension between being fan friendly and building the best program. We could add Northern Illinois and South Dakota State for drivable games and we could play them all at times Pollard chooses for maximum tailgating. But that means no money.

Even if the new Big 12 played one weeknight game per week throughout the entire season, that’s just one home game per school per year. Not exactly going to destroy ISU or the fan experience. One of the best crowds I remember was the Thursday night game vs Texas when Jeremiah George stuffed them at the goal line but we got screwed on the video review.

Because playing central Florida definitely the same as playing Texas.

good lord

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I agree, if we add schools, it means the remaining 8 are committing to the Big XII long term. This is where we have to depend on Jamie to have better information than us to make the best decision. If the Big 10 and Pac 12 have told us, sorry it ain’t happening now or in the future, then a new Big 12 is better than being one of the leftover two or three and ending up in the AAC or Mountain West. But if they’ve said, we might be interested when 2025 gets closer, then y”we’ve got to hold out. I trust Jamie to know what the best deal we can get is. But I recognize that the absolute worst case scenario for us is for the rest of the conference to break up and we are left without an invite to one of the other P5s.

If that’s the case, Jamie won’t be the ad by the time the new and “improved” big 12 begins play

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
20 million in tv.

ad hit will be much bigger. 50 is hopefully an exaggeration
So basically AAC levels. We are 28 MM TV for tier 1/2. We get 1 MM for tier 3 (rip off where we make less than on our own and OU and UT even gets a cut, so that could triple back to where it was) that puts us at 29 MM for TV and 11 for the rest. Bowlsby said 14 per OU and UT leaving. That drips us to 15.5 ( they aren’t getting a cut of our tier 3 anymore) plus 11 so 26.5. The CFP of expanded is estimated at 90 MM per bid. Put a team there (with 10 teams) and that bumps us to 35.5 total. That is going off then numbers we contracted for 10 years ago and no increase.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
So basically AAC levels. We are 28 MM TV for tier 1/2. We get 1 MM for tier 3 (rip off where we make less than on our own and OU and UT even gets a cut, so that could triple back to where it was) that puts us at 29 MM for TV and 11 for the rest. Bowlsby said 14 per OU and UT leaving. That drips us to 15.5 ( they aren’t getting a cut of our tier 3 anymore) plus 11 so 26.5. The CFP of expanded is estimated at 90 MM per bid. Put a team there (with 10 teams) and that bumps us to 35.5 total. That is going off then numbers we contracted for 10 years ago and no increase.

You’re arguing that 8 programs, that will see their tv revenue cut by an projected 14 million, because they essentially brought no media value without Texas and Oklahoma, will add 4 schools making less than 10 million in tv money and we will lose 3 million in tv revenue? Especially with the top two supposedly getting 80 + million per team, and the pac and acc getting that 35 number.

that’s optimistic, to say the least. Where is all that extra money going to come from for the big 8 plus 4?

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
I'll tell you what the draw is. They have national appeal and a national audience. Adding BYU is priority #1.

Not to mention BYU non conf schedule includes several ACC, SEC schools...

Honestly from a football perspective and revenue perspective I think the Big 12 should add BYU and Navy first.

Navy plays ND every single year and will forever. Navy/Army game every year draws 5 Million+

They can throw Navy in the conference for football only. At this point you do whatever you need to do to drive revenue.

This is a great post. Sincerely hope the service academies are in the mix. I would go BYU and the academies to get to 12. If 14, then I would go CSU and New Mexico. No city schools, no directional schools. Try to get some semblance of geographic coherence and provide an academic boost as well.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Some conferences don't even have GOR's, so nobody is going to hold out from a HUGE jump up in pay to a P5 conference because they don't have a GOR. Sure, they'd prefer it, but they don't miss out on the opportunity...no way. That chance to move up a notch may NEVER come again for these schools...they are going to say yes. Saying no would be grotesquely unwise.
What conferences don't have GOR?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You’re arguing that 8 programs, that will see their tv revenue cut by an projected 14 million, because they essentially brought no media value without Texas and Oklahoma, will add 4 schools making less than 10 million in tv money and we will lose 3 million in tv revenue? Especially with the top two supposedly getting 80 + million per team, and the pac and acc getting that 35 number.

that’s optimistic, to say the least. Where is all that extra money going to come from for the big 8 plus 4?
You obviously didn’t read my whole post because 1) I specifically said go 10 teams and 2) I detailed the money route.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Sure.

just making sure all the people trying to pretend this is really gonna be ok because we can win in the Mac understand how completely wrong they are.

plus, this game is literally still in the first quarter. Speculating on elevating g5 schools which will ultimately cost 40- 50 million dollars in your athletic budget, isn’t really a choice. It’s an ending

So now we are in the MAC? lol. BYU is a P5 program for all intents and purposes really. Adding them and 2-3 of the Top AAC teams suddenly makes us equivalent to the 4th best G5 conference?

From an on the field and court perspective the new Big 12 would be better than the PAC and an argument could be made better overall than the ACC. From a $$ perspective it won't be.

I'd rather have both but that isn't possible right now. So the best case scenerio is forming a new conference with the best fball programs you can. All the Big 12 needs to do is not be dead last in competitiveness.

• Agree
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Where are you seeing access to the cfp, where is that guarantee?

you guys are literally saying that 8 schools that lost half their tv money will somehow bring in schools that make 6-7 million from TV, and it will somehow even out to being competitive when the big 12 will literally be a minimum of 15 million a team behind even the pac 12.

that screams p5 conference.

thats right, you can’t add all these teams and take 7m a year, only way you could do that is if you pay based off streaming viewers and tv viewers…

I think what everyone misses, if we 30m behind the pac 10, we just can’t afford to keep Campbell or anyone else good. Any power 4 team just offers Campbell 10m and we go right back to sucking…same with basketball

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
You obviously didn’t read my whole post because 1) I specifically said go 10 teams and 2) I detailed the money route.

No I saw that you were using the numbers from 10 years ago.

but in your scenario, any new conference would be missing two key components. And Cincinnati and byu aren’t Texas and Oklahoma.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
So now we are in the MAC? lol. BYU is a P5 program for all intents and purposes really. Adding them and 2-3 of the Top AAC teams suddenly makes us equivalent to the 4th best G5 conference?

From an on the field and court perspective the new Big 12 would be better than the PAC and an argument could be made better overall than the ACC. From a $$ perspective it won't be.

I'd rather have both but that isn't possible right now. So the best case scenerio is forming a new conference with the best fball programs you can. All the Big 12 needs to do is not be dead last in competitiveness.

The new big 12 in your world doesn’t have one national brand program that will compel any network to give even equal money.

your fellow doom guy even projected 20 million tv dollars when he was trying imply we’d loan all these schools money to come to the big 12.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

There’s no reasoning with the people who are doom and gloom about ISU’s future if it’s in a reconstituted Big 12; they just can’t wrap their minds around it. That league will probably be better than at least one of the ACC or Pac-12 most seasons. And it will be in the playoff.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
2011 Okie St on a Friday begs to differ. I wouldn’t do it all the time, but if it is what it takes to maximize exposure and get enough revenue to be able to retain coaches and a good program, that’s what you do. When you’re talking about the survival of your football program, maximizing the time guys get to stand on asphalt and drink Busch Light isn’t a factor.
All that matters in terms of game day atmosphere occurs inside the Jack.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
In your context. Okie state equals temple, ISU equals Tulsa. Huge difference of the b12 adding 1-2 AAC and the opposite.

They’re the same teams though. networks don’t care about conference name, they care about the teams that make up the conference and how many eyeballs they can bring.

that conference has exactly zero name programs.

this isn’t 10 years ago when espn got outflanked by fox and cbs, so they gave Texas their own network to save the big 12 to stay in the game.