I did this so that you don't have to...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So, during a break at work today (that I'm still on, really) I went over to the CBSSportsline.com website to check out college basketball scores, and decided to visit the conference standings section. Next to each team, in addition to overall record, etc., they also list the NET rating.

As of the moment, our beloved Cyclones come in at #219 for the NET score. I decided to read through each conference and see how many different teams from all of these different conferences, both Power 5, mid-major, and low-major alike, compared to us.

It's really f*cking ugly.

I'll paste the link if anyone wants to check it out for themselves, but the entire American Athletic Conference have better NET ratings then we do. 6 teams out of the MAAC have a better rating. 9 teams out of the 'effin Patriot League(!) have a better NET rating.

With the exception of the Ivy League, who isn't playing this season, every single conference in Division I basketball has at least one team that has a better NET rating than Iowa State, and yes, that does include the SWAC (Prairie View A&M) whom we are otherwise undefeated against.

Obviously we are really, really bad this season, but looking at all of these numbers really sheds a light on just how bad this season's team is; as in historically, all-time bad.

I really, really want us to beat TCU later on today if for no other reason so that we can at least jump ahead of teams like Bellarmine and Niagara.

Here's the link to the standings if you can stomach it;

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
If we can win today, we should jump over the Campbell Camels, who are at number 218.

Reactions: canker2323

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
We get it, the Cyclone MBB program is a train wreck. The season will end mercifully in a week or so. It is certainly not the norm, but you would think that a fan base that lived through the 90s football seasons would handle things like this better. You have my permission to freak out if Prohm is brought back.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
We get it, the Cyclone MBB program is a train wreck. The season will end mercifully in a week or so. It is certainly not the norm, but you would think that a fan base that lived through the 90s football seasons would handle things like this better. You have my permission to freak out if Prohm is brought back.

I'd argue this is the equivalent to a zero win football season - how many of those do we have?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So, during a break at work today (that I'm still on, really) I went over to the CBSSportsline.com website to check out college basketball scores, and decided to visit the conference standings section. Next to each team, in addition to overall record, etc., they also list the NET rating.

As of the moment, our beloved Cyclones come in at #219 for the NET score. I decided to read through each conference and see how many different teams from all of these different conferences, both Power 5, mid-major, and low-major alike, compared to us.

I'll paste the link if anyone wants to check it out for themselves, but the entire American Athletic Conference have better NET ratings then we do. 6 teams out of the MAAC have a better rating. 9 teams out of the 'effin Patriot League(!) have a better NET rating.

With the exception of the Ivy League, who isn't playing this season, every single conference in Division I basketball has at least one team that has a better NET rating than Iowa State, and yes, that does include the SWAC (Prairie View A&M) whom we are otherwise undefeated against.

Obviously we are really, really bad this season, but looking at all of these numbers really sheds a light on just how bad this season's team is; as in historically, all-time bad.

I really, really want us to beat TCU later on today if for no other reason so that we can at least jump ahead of teams like Bellarmine and Niagara.

Bellarmine - Literally never heard of this thing.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011

Even Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs passed on this.

• Funny
Reactions: DurangoCy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I think the difference is FB had been mediocre for a long time, while we had success often enough in BB that when we were down we were never this down, you have to go back to the 70's for us to be this bad. I'm ready for this season to end.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Where do we stand now
spoiler]

• Winner
Reactions: jcisuclones