Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
My point is that "not so nice" and "a lot of crime" are VERY relative terms. Sure it's not as nice and less safe than a new housing development in Robbins or North Liberty, but relative to truly "unsafe" places around the country - it's perfectly fine. People always act like if you drive through the wrong part of town your car is going to get stolen or you're going to get shot or robbed. It's insane and it's not true. Honestly, most of it is just pure racial prejudice.
You can apply the exact same thing to North Waterloo. Is it rougher than newer developments and other parts of town? Sure. Have I ever felt genuinely unsafe there at any hour of the day? Not at all.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
On a side note, my wife is a dedicated Hy-Vee shopper. She usually orders online and then picks up at the Grimes store. I always give her a hard time of how we can barely afford Hy-Vee. A few months ago she tried an order from Wal-Mart to see what the price difference was and I about fell over when the total at Hy-Vee was actually cheaper by like $6 on a $170 order.
There's no actual way that Hy-Vee is cheaper than wal-mart in general.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Like I said before, Hy-Vee doesn't close profitable stores, even if they are in a sketchy part of town. I worked at the East Euclid Hy-Vee and the crowd there was ROUGH in the mid 90's. We had to have a full time DSM police officer on duty after 8pm, I made multiple court appearances for things done in the store, only one place in DSM had more 911 call per year (Merle Hay Mall), constant issues with shoplifting, etc. but they would have never closed one of the most profitable stores in the metro (at the time). I worked some Christmas parties at a few of the Waterloo stores that were in extremely dangerous parts of town, which were not closed. I'm actually shocked Harding Hills/MLK in Des Moines is still in business, they seemed to lose a lot of money. When the Ingersoll location closed a lot of people were surprised that it wasn't MLK instead.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Go ask the old senior execs like Ron Pearson and Ken Waller what they think of Hy-Vee's new model. Randy Edeker absolutely trashed Hy-Vee's business model and erased years of work by the former executive team.
Weird. The old guard thinks the new guard doing something different is stupid.

I'm buying a guy out of our accounting practice. I do things the same way I've done them in larger practices for the last ten or so years. The old guy thinks the way I do this is stupid. We get to the same result. The bottom line shows I'm more efficient, can bill the same amount, and do so at a lower cost.

Reactions: Tailg8er

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Like I said before, Hy-Vee doesn't close profitable stores, even if they are in a sketchy part of town. I worked at the East Euclid Hy-Vee and the crowd there was ROUGH in the mid 90's. We had to have a full time DSM police officer on duty after 8pm, I made multiple court appearances for things done in the store, only one place in DSM had more 911 call per year (Merle Hay Mall), constant issues with shoplifting, etc. but they would have never closed one of the most profitable stores in the metro (at the time). I worked some Christmas parties at a few of the Waterloo stores that were in extremely dangerous parts of town, which were not closed. I'm actually shocked Harding Hills/MLK in Des Moines is still in business, they seemed to lose a lot of money. When the Ingersoll location closed a lot of people were surprised that it wasn't MLK instead.

I will be shocked if that store doesn't close in the next 2-3 years.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You can apply the exact same thing to North Waterloo. Is it rougher than newer developments and other parts of town? Sure. Have I ever felt genuinely unsafe there at any hour of the day? Not at all.
That's such a weird part of town. I worked, years ago, in that neck of the woods. I never felt unsafe in that neighborhood either but I literally got gas on Broadway less than 30 minutes before some guy got shot in the face at the pump next to the one I used.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
There's no actual way that Hy-Vee is cheaper than wal-mart in general.
I think you're right. I just wanted to give a real world example of it not always true. I use to do price comparisons for Hy-Vee and at the time, only Dahls was more expensive.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Hy-Vee seems to have a celebrity obsession.

I don’t think many cared about Marky Mark grocery store restaurants.

Do people actually buy Hy-Chi because of CC?

The only ones that seem like they may have been worth the investment are the Mahomes/Kelce ones for the KC market, but no idea how much they paid those guys. Not sure Cousins helped them any in Twin Cities.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Hy-Vee's sales are really good but WalMarts every day shelf price blows Hy-Vee out of the water. The other advantage Hy-Vee has is their house brand is rock solid. The great Value quality is pretty hit and miss.
Should have mentioned my laundry detergent is name brand, but not the high priced Tide.

EDIT: more info -- I typically go to Fareway for groceries. HyVee for a very few things, and on an occasional basis only.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My point is that "not so nice" and "a lot of crime" are VERY relative terms. Sure it's not as nice and less safe than a new housing development in Robbins or North Liberty, but relative to truly "unsafe" places around the country - it's perfectly fine. People always act like if you drive through the wrong part of town your car is going to get stolen or you're going to get shot or robbed. It's insane and it's not true. Honestly, most of it is just pure racial prejudice.
I don't disagree with any of that really, and that wasn't my point. But I feel compelled to reply because I feel just a little accused of being racist there at the end.

Our biz used to be down by the Homeport, and property crime IS an issue. So I drove around there quite a bit. Totally agree, you're not in any danger, especially during the day. Even at night, MAYBE you could get robbed if walking around. My point was if you live down there, you better have a fence, good locks, and not leave anything outside.
Below map is from crimewatch.org, just showing property crime.

1715615865529.png

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I had a friend whose dad ran a grocery store on University and I believe 1st avenue or something close. Made money but finally had to close and tear down because of the crime issues they faced in the 1970s. They tore it down. It was a busy intersection so good location in that regard.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I've lived on the "wrong side" of 19th for almost 20 years, y'all are crazy scared of your shadows

Coincidentally, they have some maps at the history center of 1930 era "redlining" and you'll never guess which area's people of color could buy houses in the 30s-60s and which they couldn't...

Not scared of anything, just pointing out the difference. Paradox was tongue in cheek; most all of us know the how and whys. My father in law lives on near 15th ave and my wife grew up in Wellington Heights. I know what it's like during the day and night. Am I afraid to walk around there? Not at all. Is crime a big concern? Absolutely.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
The stores in Iowa are almost all new builds, the ones aren't hardly old enough to remodel. I think there is remodeled one in CR that I stopped at it was nice. KwikStar is basically kicking Casey's *ss in most markets. It seems from a customer viewpoint.
They remodeled 2 in Mtown and built a brand new large one then demolished the old one at their 3rd location in the past 3 years.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
At some point, the Ana baptist economy will take over the grocery business in large parts of the midwest. In northern Missouri and southern Iowa they have invested probably close to a half of billion in infrastructure and distribution. It’s a few years left from really putting a dent into Hy-Vee and Walmart, but it’s coming.

Reactions: TD Hardeman!

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I think you're right. I just wanted to give a real world example of it not always true. I use to do price comparisons for Hy-Vee and at the time, only Dahls was more expensive.
I compare FW and HV ads to Walmart every week to see how much of a "sale" it really is. Lots of HV sale items are still more than Walmart regular price. I've also noticed lately they like to put things on sale at the Walmart price. Make the Walmart trip once a month for things that we need that are cheaper there.

Great Value brand does suck, won't ever buy their dairy again after multiple times getting bad stuff. We also had a chicken tender in a bag of tortilla chips once. Not sure how that even happens.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I compare FW and HV ads to Walmart every week to see how much of a "sale" it really is. Lots of HV sale items are still more than Walmart regular price. I've also noticed lately they like to put things on sale at the Walmart price. Make the Walmart trip once a month for things that we need that are cheaper there.

Great Value brand does suck, won't ever buy their dairy again after multiple times getting bad stuff. We also had a chicken tender in a bag of tortilla chips once. Not sure how that even happens.
Guy's complaining about getting free chicken tenders.