Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Brian Ferentz shops there...he is looking for his quarter back.
giphy.webp

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
So while I agree with you that natural sugars won't kill you, too much of them is still a major problem with the standard american diet today. Almost everything people eat is chocked full of sugars whether highly processed or not. Not only are the amounts of sugar/carbohydrates terrible for a person but they also are not satiating and they are extremely addictive.

Why do you think fat is the issue? You sound like you have been educated on this topic but it is my understanding that insulin is released by your pancreas to control high blood glucose levels and in turn converts the glucose into fat stores. The continued bombardment of carbohydrates on the blood cells over years creates insulin resistance by the cells themselves. The insulin that the body produces quite literally cannot keep up with blood glucose levels and the glucose begins to be evacuated in the urine if left untreated. Which is T2 diabetes. When eating a low carbohydrate diet your metabolism is forced to burn ketones(fat) and not rely on the constant stream of carbohydrates to function. This allows for metabolic flexibility.

Very few people are proposing a zero carb lifestyle but merely low carb. The basis of our diets should be meat and vegetables. Add in fruits and other carbohydrates sparingly and you have a recipe for success.

I am genuinely curious why you think eating like humans ate for thousands of years is really the problem and not the cure?
Bombardment of carbs? It's never a problem as long as the glucose has a place to go. I explained why fat is the issue with type two diabetics. They tend to have more lipids in their cells, which prevents the glucose from getting in. I am a type 2 diabetic, and I am a fit person. I was shocked when I found out. At first I tried low carb to control it. Got my A1C down but when I took a glucose tolerance test, I failed miserably. So this meant that I was still insulin resistance. So I started to do a ton of research and discovered how to reverse it. I eat over 400 carbs a day now, my A1C is running in the 5.2 to 5.3 range when I get tested every 3 months. AND I do well on glucose tolerance test, which means my cells are now insulin sensitive. All my other blood work is great too, hormones, everything (I am 55). I usually have a cheat day where I eat anything and a lot of it, but because I have an optimized metabolism from eating primarily whole food 6 days a week, I get away with it. I'm not saying everyone should eat high carb low fat, just type 2 diabetics, we know this works to reverse the issue of insulin resistance. People without type 2 should eat what works for them, is sustainable and keeps them healthy long term (very important). So whether that is high fat, low carb, high carb, whatever. Again, as long as they are healthy in doing so.

As for what humans ate 1000s of years ago? Well, human like species we know were around 2.5 million years ago and probably further back than that. For homsapiens we know they had a amylase enzyme 120,000 years ago. https://elifesciences.org/articles/47523. But what people ate most likely depended on where they were and what enzymes they had to handle to the food in the area. For example, we know the Inuit tribe has an enzyme the rest of us do not have, that is why you should disregard all these so called fitness experts and chiropractors on You Tube that promote eating a certain way and using Inuits as an example of why it would work for everyone.

Last edited:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Severe disappointment tonight...ran inside the SW side Hy Vee in Cedar Rapids...they are tearing out the pizza kitchen...no more hot and ready pizza from there! That is a shame...one of their better products and I LOVED the $7 Friday night special...

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Also curious as to whether this just speculation, but it can’t be great for them. They have to pay an employee to do my shopping, check me out, and bag my groceries; if I’m in the store, I’m responsible for all of those things.

After going all-in on eliminating employees and customer service, and remodeling stores with impulse-buy garbage, it is kind of funny to watch the whole thing (predictably) backfire.
Theoretically no different than a fast food drive thru. Faster customer churn rate. I believe what some of these stores are running into, is that the convenience is not translating into larger or more frequent orders. At least not enough to justify the labor resources required. Like the pizza delivery wars of the past, each store is pushing faster and faster delivery times, which leaves stores with a problem. Either chew through a few employees who get burned out and quit, necessitating hiring another, or increasing labor to handle the advertised turnaround time.

I'm sure each store has the numbers, and it would be interesting to see how the number of orders per day and the avg order value per day changed with the addition of curbside pick up.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
**** that.

Need me to pay a goddam browsing fee to get in the door? Don't trust me enough with your precious cart.

Sell your ****, generic food to somebody else.

LOL the reason they do it is so they don't have to send employees out to wrangle carts. I usually don't even get a cart just get a box and put in it what I need.
That's the nice thing about variety we can each do what we chose.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
LOL the reason they do it is so they don't have to send employees out to wrangle carts. I usually don't even get a cart just get a box and put in it what I need.
That's the nice thing about variety we can each do what we chose.
Son on east coast shops at Shop Rite. You put in a quarter to get your cart and get it back when you return it. It is not a big freaking deal. But his store thankfully doesn’t have a Chiefs store wedged between the Wahlburgers and the walk-in medical clinic with it’s waiting room right by the pharmacy like the HyVee his brothers go to in KC. The whole walking by the sick people to get your meds was enough to get them to at least go to CVS for their meds, as they inherited my asthma apparently.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Also curious as to whether this just speculation, but it can’t be great for them. They have to pay an employee to do my shopping, check me out, and bag my groceries; if I’m in the store, I’m responsible for all of those things.

After going all-in on eliminating employees and customer service, and remodeling stores with impulse-buy garbage, it is kind of funny to watch the whole thing (predictably) backfire.

When I worked at Aisles Online, a supervisor told me HyVee loses approximately $40 on every online order due to labor costs -- one person to shop the order (although when I worked there, you could have three people shopping one order -- one in main grocery, one in refrigerated, and one in frozen), one person to ring up and bag the items, another person to bring it to your car. Maybe that supervisor was full of it, but it makes sense.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
When I worked at Aisles Online, a supervisor told me HyVee loses approximately $40 on every online order due to labor costs -- one person to shop the order (although when I worked there, you could have three people shopping one order -- one in main grocery, one in refrigerated, and one in frozen), one person to ring up and bag the items, another person to bring it to your car. Maybe that supervisor was full of it, but it makes sense.

That sounds like a significant rounding up of labor costs (there’s no way they’re paying $20/hr and there’s no way it takes 2 hours to shop, check, and bag even my absurd orders) and completely ignoring any revenue. Grocery is a low-margin industry, and I don’t see how they would promote Aisles so actively if they are losing 5-6 figures a week (see what I did there with the rounding?).

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
That sounds like a significant rounding up of labor costs (there’s no way they’re paying $20/hr and there’s no way it takes 2 hours to shop, check, and bag even my absurd orders) and completely ignoring any revenue. Grocery is a low-margin industry, and I don’t see how they would promote Aisles so actively if they are losing 5-6 figures a week (see what I did there with the rounding?).

I was making $13/hour. And, again, there could be up to five people working on a single order.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

That would have to be some very inefficient employees to lose $40 on a single order..

When I'm there each shopper is simultaneously shopping about 6 orders, and I highly doubt it takes them more than an hour to shop those 6 ($2.50 labor per order). Ringing up and bagging a $100 order takes what, 5 minutes max ($1.25 labor per order)? Same with loading, rarely takes more than 5 minutes ($1.25 labor per order).

I wouldn't be surprised if they lose money on them, but no way I believe it's anywhere close to $40/order. Assuming $15/hour pay above - even if you double/triple those figures it's not even close to that.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I was making $13/hour. And, again, there could be up to five people working on a single order.
Sure, but those 5 people could handle 5+ (probably more) orders in a single $13 hour.. it's not like you have 5 people working on 1 single shop for an hour lol.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
That would have to be some very inefficient employees to lose $40 on a single order..

When I'm there each shopper is simultaneously shopping about 6 orders, and I highly doubt it takes them more than an hour to shop those 6 ($2.50 labor per order). Ringing up and bagging a $100 order takes what, 5 minutes max ($1.25 labor per order)? Same with loading, rarely takes more than 5 minutes ($1.25 labor per order).

I wouldn't be surprised if they lose money on them, but no way I believe it's anywhere close to $40/order. Assuming $15/hour pay above - even if you double/triple those figures it's not even close to that.

True. I also wonder if they were adding in the orders they had to refund or fix because shoppers made errors. And that happened a lot. Some of the teenagers I shopped with were clueless about picking produce. One actually asked me if the black spots on the raspberries were something bad. I told her, "If you wouldn't buy them and eat them yourself, don't pick them for a customer." I feel like that's common sense, but apparently not.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
with baby # 3 on the way in a couple of weeks, we are trimming our budget and have started to use Wal-Mart online grocery shopping. I agree that somehow Wal-Mart's customer service with online groceries is better than Hy-Vee.

Been using Wal-Mart online grocery for years now. They honestly probably do it better than everyone. My only knock is that WalMart runs out of common things sway too often but they are usually pretty good with substitutions.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I went to the Aldi’s on Hickman and Alice’s Rd the last time I was in town. Felt like shopping at Super Valu in the 80’s but without the Shasta. And it was packed. And everything looked like it had been rummaged through like a garage sale. Didn’t even think the prices were that great.

If there was an Aldi within walking distance I would probably shop there for a quick stop but no ******* way am I going out of my way to go there.
Man this hit me right in the feels. There was nothing better as a kid than picking through the Shasta, Fastco, or HyVee pop flats and building your own variety pack. Damn those were the days.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Son on east coast shops at Shop Rite. You put in a quarter to get your cart and get it back when you return it. It is not a big freaking deal. But his store thankfully doesn’t have a Chiefs store wedged between the Wahlburgers and the walk-in medical clinic with it’s waiting room right by the pharmacy like the HyVee his brothers go to in KC. The whole walking by the sick people to get your meds was enough to get them to at least go to CVS for their meds, as they inherited my asthma apparently.

Tell me you're rich without telling me you're rich...