Hy-Vee: Where There's a Helpful Credit Card Skimmer in Every Point of Sale Terminal

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
First off, it's awfully convenient of you to ignore the quality scores lol. But second, what was used to determine 'overall' price? Did they cross check prices on every single product in the stores?

I'm not arguing against anything other than groceries here, and I don't think Target is cheaper. Definitely not on meat, definitely not milk/dairy, not chips or coffee, not dressing..

Not only that, but it was a Twin Cities study that found Target competitive. And where is Target corporate HQ?

I can't prove it but my personal experience tells me Target is expensive for groceries, and so I suspect that this study was conducted with a stacked deck to make it appear they're better on price than they are.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er and Acylum

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Just dropped $140 at the Vee and got 0 fuel points.

What a joke.

Also checked my receipt and got charged an extra dollar for a squash. They are really bad about "sale" prices not ringing up correctly. To be fair though, the same thing happened to me earlier today at Target and is very common everywhere I go.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I like Hy-Vee because they have the best beer/liquor selection around here. That's pretty much the only reason I go though

• Winner
Reactions: baller21

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Just dropped $140 at the Vee and got 0 fuel points.

What a joke.

Also checked my receipt and got charged an extra dollar for a squash. They are really bad about "sale" prices not ringing up correctly. To be fair though, the same thing happened to me earlier today at Target and is very common everywhere I go.

At Hy-Vee if it rings up wrong it is FREE. I have gotten many free items over the years even though I was merely trying to just pay the accurate price. I agree that it does happen everywhere but when it happens at Hy-Vee you get rewarded. ;)

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
At Hy-Vee if it rings up wrong it is FREE. I have gotten many free items over the years even though I was merely trying to just pay the accurate price. I agree that it does happen everywhere but when it happens at Hy-Vee you get rewarded. ;)
I just had a similar issue. They are refunding me the item.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
My wife is retired and checks adds weekly. Each week she goes to Walmart, Aldi, HyVee, Fareway, and sometimes Natural Grocers. She keeps a weekly diary of what she spends for everything. It’s a pain in the ass to run around to all the stores but we estimate we save well over $1000 annually by doing this vs just hitting one store all the time.

So, is the time and effort worth $20/week in savings? Have you factored $0.58/mile for fuel and depreciation? I’m a long ways from retirement, but unless she’s bored, I can’t fathom doing that.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Uh I don’t think that’s true for the Ames stores.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Crazy that people still go to the grocery store. Make a commitment to only go to Costco for 6 months and get a product rotation sorted out. You will eventually figure out how to make it work. I go every week and I have my product rotation down to the point that I pretty much know the amount of bill before I walk in to the store assuming nothing new pops up or changes product-wise.
i
The grocery store ******** drive me nuts.

Plus you get a “fuel saver” just for being a member.

edit: I understand if you don’t live near a Costco

A lot of it is just convenience. I don't want to make a big production about buying groceries and having to plan a trip over to a big box store like Costco located on the edge of town. I have have 3 different groceries stores less than 10 mins from my house. I don't love going grocery shopping in the first place, so the thought of burning however much time that would take battling the traffic, walking the huge store, finding things, etc.., Zero interest.

Maybe when I"m retired and are looking for ways to burn time, maybe . Not now. Life is too short.

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Uh I don’t think that’s true for the Ames stores.

It is actually true at our stores, but you have to catch it. This means you have to remember the cost of every item and watch it for any discrepancies, alert the the cashier and get it corrected, sometimes after being verified by a store employee. It can be a hassle.

If every store charged an extra dollar per a random item or two per day it would add up to tens of thousands of dollars, easy. No exaggeration.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
It is actually true at our stores, but you have to catch it. This means you have to remember the cost of every item and watch it for any discrepancies, alert the the cashier and get it corrected, sometimes after being verified by a store employee. It can be a hassle.

If every store charged an extra dollar per a random item or two per day it would add up to tens of thousands of dollars, easy. No exaggeration.
Okay I’ll try that next time. I’ve caught several mistakes and all they do is correct the price and say sorry.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The F&F in the Fleur Hy-Vee was tarped off today...apparently getting ripped out, or it at least appears that way.

Also had one of, if not the first Market Grills, which has since been scaled back to the Express as well.

I noticed after the F&F was added, selection variety dropped as there was obviously less available shelf space. But they kept wide selections of weird items, like 15 different vanilla extract brands. Weird.

Glad F&F is apparently out, not looking forward to them rearranging everything again and having to relearn the store.
They replaced the F&F in the one we shop at with Joe Fresh.... Another hilariously over priced clothing section that never seems to have anyone shopping in it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron