Hy-Vee: Where There's a Helpful Credit Card Skimmer in Every Point of Sale Terminal

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I think the Register mentioned the Hy-Vee data breach a week or two ago but this story dives more into the severity of this breach. Not good for Hyde and Vredenburg, not good at all.

1. I'm convinced that nobody out there can protect your data. It's just a matter of when and how severe the breach. You have to be vigilant about doing what you can to protect yourself.

2. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things Hy-Vee is doing just fine, but does it seem like they've been...I don't know...adrift a little these last few years? Going on all in the Market Grilles then scaling back, giving up store space to sell high-end clothes, this bizarre (to me, at least) love affair with Mark Wahlberg. Maybe it's just the fits and starts of trying to adapt to new consumer preferences but I often find myself wondering what's going on there. Or maybe I'm just pissed that they keep raising their prices on their Chinese entrees.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I think the Register mentioned the Hy-Vee data breach a week or two ago but this story dives more into the severity of this breach. Not good for Hyde and Vredenburg, not good at all.

1. I'm convinced that nobody out there can protect your data. It's just a matter of when and how severe the breach. You have to be vigilant about doing what you can to protect yourself.

2. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things Hy-Vee is doing just fine, but does it seem like they've been...I don't know...adrift a little these last few years? Going on all in the Market Grilles then scaling back, giving up store space to sell high-end clothes, this bizarre (to me, at least) love affair with Mark Wahlberg. Maybe it's just the fits and starts of trying to adapt to new consumer preferences but I often find myself wondering what's going on there. Or maybe I'm just pissed that they keep raising their prices on their Chinese entrees.

I don't think Hy-Vee is ever going to struggle. Just tapping into different/new markets.

How many 'grocery stores' sell clothes and have a full service dining restaurant? I'd say there are few, if any.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I don't think Hy-Vee is ever going to struggle. Just tapping into different/new markets.

How many 'grocery stores' sell clothes and have a full service dining restaurant? I'd say there are few, if any.

I'm not married but if and when I get married and am forced to go grocery shopping, a bar will likely be appreciated.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
They've always tried weird things in a few stores to see if it sticks. The other 230 stores just continue to go along just fine. I've been pretty impressed with how well their delivery service has come along in the metro.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The Market Grille is a great concept in theory...use their buying power to get their ingredients cheaper than everyone else, sell at the same price with higher margin.

The F&F/clothing store crap? Someone should be fired for suggesting that. Maybe next they can do oil changes out back.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I went ahead and froze my credit at the credit reporting agencies. A bit of a pain in the ass to do and undo, but we won't be opening any new loans any time soon, and it pretty much eliminates the possibility of anyone opening accounts in my name.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The Market Grille is a great concept in theory...use their buying power to get their ingredients cheaper than everyone else, sell at the same price with higher margin.

The F&F/clothing store crap? Someone should be fired for suggesting that. Maybe next they can do oil changes out back.

What's weird about the clothing thing is that they've tried it in the past and it failed then too. It does seem like a long reach.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
My point

Honestly oil changes would probably be more used and profitable than the restaurants and and clothes. Need to get groceries and need an oil change. Do it at the same place.

That's why I use mills fleet farm in mason city to get my oil changed and tires rotated. Leave the vehicle then go do some shopping in the store. Or walk across the street to the tj maxx and buy some cheap iowa state shirts.

• Agree
Reactions: ljm4cy

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I went ahead and froze my credit at the credit reporting agencies. A bit of a pain in the ass to do and undo, but we won't be opening any new loans any time soon, and it pretty much eliminates the possibility of anyone opening accounts in my name.

I've frozen mine as well. For most, if not all, of the credit bureaus all it takes is a quick online form with your PIN to unfreeze/refreeze your credit when someone needs to access it. That hasn't happened to me yet but it seems like only a minor inconvenience, if they don't eff it up (which is asking a lot).

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

This is a really good call. It's not really that much of a pain imo.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Yeah, I hated the Market Grille concept. I like HyVee meals when I'm in a hurry and don't want to linger for waiter service (and then leave a tip). If I wanted a restaurant meal, I'd just go to a restaurant.

I know some people love this, but I agree it is out of place at a grocery store. I like to go to HyVee for their food, but the wait staff stuff is just weird. Once in a while I will have a drink with a meal, but again, at a real restaurant.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Here's an idea. Make banks get to know their customer before lending money to them base on a 10 digit number. But ya, there is no way to keep all your information safe. That and instead of making you legally responsible for the debt make the lenders responsible for anything they lent to fraudulent applicants. That will stop this nonsense pretty quick.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I've grown to dislike my local Hy Vee. Just way too much going on. It seems like they are trying to become Wal Mart without the space-- cramming stuff into every available square inch. The Market Grille in our Hy Vee just isn't good. Bad service, so-so food. Then they threw a Starbucks in, which is fine, but there simply wasn't room. It's just way too cramped now.

• Agree
Reactions: urb1

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

HyVee has made a ton of terrible decisions over the last few years and I know first hand that they are struggling more than most people realize.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I was a big fan of getting slices of pizza from hy-vee. I don't want to order a whole pizza. It has been a couple of years since I've had pizza from my local hy-vee because of that.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I soured on my area Hy-Vee when they moved the can/bottle redemption machines from the front of the store to the back, so you have to take the Walk of Shame with a shopping cart teeming with empties all the way through the store. (Which exposes their opposition to the bottle deposit law on the grounds that it is unsanitary as a lie, but I digress.)

They did win back some of my favor when they upgraded the machines a year or two ago, however. They're much more user-friendly.