Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Wild. If I need one thing, I wouldn’t mind stopping at a Fareway, particularly since it’s a quick in-and-out, but if I’m shopping for the family, I want the options of Hy-Vee. Is this a big/small town thing?

I know Hy-Vee is trying to complete with Walmart and Target, but by reducing grocery choices to make room for other nonsense and going self-check, they’ve just reduced the incentives I had to go there.

Self-check is the best thing to happen to grocery/retail in a long time.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I needed a specific ingredient for a recipe that I could not find at Walmart or Target. Had husband check Hy-Vee since the soap bombs make me sick if I walk in the door, they didn’t have it. Amazon had it for some crazy price. Found it at Fareway.

I feel like even with smaller stores, they have more selection for food, because besides a few toiletries and cleaning items, all they have is food.

• Agree
Reactions: urb1 and NWICY

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Wild. If I need one thing, I wouldn’t mind stopping at a Fareway, particularly since it’s a quick in-and-out, but if I’m shopping for the family, I want the options of Hy-Vee. Is this a big/small town thing?

I know Hy-Vee is trying to complete with Walmart and Target, but by reducing grocery choices to make room for other nonsense and going self-check, they’ve just reduced the incentives I had to go there.
Once Target and Wal-Mart got into the grocery game, grocery stores had a choice to make. Hy-Vee decided to try to compete with them. Fareway and others decided to just try to be really good at a couple of things (Meat, Produce, etc.). I think you could probably see a correlation in the fall of Hy-Vee with the rise of big box stores offering a full grocery department.

Reactions: RoseClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I feel like Hy Vee lost their way and forgot what made them successful.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. However, for the record, last season, I did some big meat orders with the HyVee in West Ames for tailgates. They gave me a good product and a good price and with good service. Even came out and helped me load it in my car. Hard to imagine them having done anything better.

Reactions: NWICY

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
This. The severance is a no go, but that kind of a change in job duties would qualify them for unemployment if they quit. Hy-Vee knows most people don't know this and the second they perform the new duties the opportunity to collect unemployment is over.

They're 100% trying to avoid unemployment, and they're gearing up for another round of layoffs probably in the next couple of weeks. This week, lots of people were called in and given a list of store jobs they could apply for. They were told their current position was being eliminated.

One person I know turned to LinkedIn to say that she would be looking for a new job soon as she was informed her position at Hy-Vee was being eliminated, but was not given a date. She then received a call from management who wanted to discuss the semantics of her LinkedIn post. They specifically took issue with the statement that her job was being "eliminated"; that she still technically works there. She confirmed with them that she would no longer have a job in her current role and that it was just a matter of finding out when her last day would be. They encouraged her again to consider applying for the retail jobs.

I don't know any other way to explain their behavior than that they're afraid of something here.

Reactions: RezClone and MJ29

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
They're 100% trying to avoid unemployment, and they're gearing up for another round of layoffs probably in the next couple of weeks. This week, lots of people were called in and given a list of store jobs they could apply for. They were told their current position was being eliminated.

One person I know turned to LinkedIn to say that she would be looking for a new job soon as she was informed her position at Hy-Vee was being eliminated, but was not given a date. She then received a call from management who wanted to discuss the semantics of her LinkedIn post. They specifically took issue with the statement that her job was being "eliminated"; that she still technically works there. She confirmed with them that she would no longer have a job in her current role and that it was just a matter of finding out when her last day would be. They encouraged her again to consider applying for the retail jobs.

I don't know any other way to explain their behavior than that they're afraid of something here.
I like Hy-Vee. Worked there in High School and college. Kid works there. We do all our shopping there. But man they make some dumb moves. You just made a move that has a serious effect on someone’s life and probably their family’s lives, and you’re checking to see what they’re saying about you on LinkedIn? Talk about classless and not being able to read a room.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

What a bunch of psychos! Looking up LinkedIn of people they canned. Especially when they have fired so many lately

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Who was the idiot that thought selling shoes was a brilliant idea? Probably was the President and he still has his job.

Reactions: Acylum

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Just have to say it's been a while since i've seen that "Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less then perfect " hyvee commercial.....

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Self-check is the best thing to happen to grocery/retail in a long time.

Strong disagree. I hate the fact if I go to Walmart, I have to wait in line behind people who have carts full of stuff moving at a snail’s pace to bag their groceries. Yes, I realize I should just use the store’s pick option.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I heard an interesting point on a podcast yesterday regarding Trader Joe's. There is some thinking that the reason TJ's is so popular is because they keep it simple. You have 1 or 2 choices for each item, which makes shopping so much simpler. Instead of stores like Wal-Mart or Hyvee, where there are 16 different brands of ketchup to pick from.
You mean tomato blood? I had never heard of these and saw one for the first time at Easter.

1651233936749.png

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Strong disagree. I hate the fact if I go to Walmart, I have to wait in line behind people who have carts full of stuff moving at a snail’s pace to bag their groceries. Yes, I realize I should just use the store’s pick option.

I feel like if you are going to wal mart, whether you are getting one thing or 100 things, you go in expecting the worst.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Coast to Coast used to rule small town Iowa main street.

View attachment 98356
My favorite store when I was a kid, they even had a few toys. We now have a Tru Value which is where I go if I need a kitchen utensil. They remain in some small towns. Also good for pet supplies. Husband likes buying the little hardware items in a baggie so you can just buy what you need and not a whole bag.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My favorite store when I was a kid, they even had a few toys. We now have a Tru Value which is where I go if I need a kitchen utensil. They remain in some small towns. Also good for pet supplies. Husband likes buying the little hardware items in a baggie so you can just buy what you need and not a whole bag.

Got my first bike from Coast to Coast and I swear that all of my friends did too. Once WalMart came around with their fancy Huffy's you started to see a little more bike diversity on the streets.

Help Support Us

Become a patron