Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Growing up as a kid we did all of our shopping in Storm Lake. They had a Pamida, Kmart, Alco, Sernetts, and a Ben Franklin. When Walmart opened in the early 90's every single one of these stores closed within less than 5 years except Kmart.
I remember each of those stores... Going on a Saturday was a full day that included stops at all those spots.

Reactions: carvers4math

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I remember each of those stores... Going on a Saturday was a full day that included stops at all those spots.

Yep! Storm Lake was about a 20 minute drive and we did all of our shopping there. We would have to go with mom about every Saturday to get groceries etc. Every once in awhile we would get to have lunch at either Hardee's or The Villager which was a HUGE treat.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I once watched one of my roommates in Ames drop $200 at a BP on Duff on his Dad's card. Beer, cigarettes, frozen pizzas, etc. It was a bold move that didn't work out well for him.
My parents would buy absolutely nothing on credit. Dated over a decade because Dad wouldn’t get married until he could buy the house with cash. Once when we were traveling, my older sister had to pay the hotel bill with her credit card because the hotel would not take the pile of twenties my father put on the counter to pay with. Guessing this was a growing up in the Depression thing.

Reactions: Macloney

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
We called

Growing up as a kid we did all of our shopping in Storm Lake. They had a Pamida, Kmart, Alco, Sernetts, and a Ben Franklin. When Walmart opened in the early 90's every single one of these stores closed within less than 5 years except Kmart.
I totally forgot about Alco and Sernett's!

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Yep! Storm Lake was about a 20 minute drive and we did all of our shopping there. We would have to go with mom about every Saturday to get groceries etc. Every once in awhile we would get to have lunch at either Hardee's or The Villager which was a HUGE treat.
We went with the Ken A Bob a lot of the time. Or McDonald's since the had the play ground out front.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Self-check is the best thing to happen to grocery/retail in a long time.
Could not agree more. Hy-Vee stopped training their baggers how to not squish bread or crack eggs many years ago. Cashiers these days are a 16 year old kid who is only there because their mom and dad made them get a job. They barely look at you let alone your typical cashier small talk. I would much rather take care of it myself and bag how I like as opposed to leave it to the 16 year old who thinks it's ok to bag my Draino with my sirloins.

Fareway baggers are not much better, which is kind of surprising considering they have the forced carry out to your vehicle. Something I also don't really care for. I'm not disabled and I'm not 85 years old, I can manage.
Fortunately Fareway has also started to put self checkouts in their stores.

Just don't make a mistake on those terminals, you'll be waiting 5 minutes for someone to come override the issue.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I don’t mind the self-checkout that much if I only have a few items. If I have a big cart, or some coupons, I’d rather go through the staffed checkout lanes so if there’s an issue with a coupon they can handle it instead of me waiting for someone to come help me. At the store we go to in Cedar Rapids, a lot of the checkers and baggers have been there for years and we recognize their faces, if we don’t know their names.

I’m also still waiting to receive the employee discount for checking and bagging my groceries. :)

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Strong disagree. I hate the fact if I go to Walmart, I have to wait in line behind people who have carts full of stuff moving at a snail’s pace to bag their groceries. Yes, I realize I should just use the store’s pick option.
They really need to enforce the self checkout as an express lane with under 12 items or something. Incredibly annoying when you have someone with two weeks worth of groceries using the lane like they've never seen such technology in their life, while you stand there with two items. Doesn't help that they only keep 2/20 checkout lanes open.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Rumor around HyVee corporate and IGIA is that HyVee is being bought out by Kroger

That makes sense, Kroger would probably just add the brand to their collection and not much would change. But dang, that’s got to be a HUGE number for HyVee. They don’t just have the stores, gas stations, drug stores etc. they have massive food processing centers, a massive truck fleet.

Any guesses what the number would be?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
That makes sense, Kroger would probably just add the brand to their collection and not much would change. But dang, that’s got to be a HUGE number for HyVee. They don’t just have the stores, gas stations, drug stores etc. they have massive food processing centers, a massive truck fleet.

Any guesses what the number would be?
No clue but it’d be huge for Kroger