Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Granted I only go into Hyvee to take cans and bottles back, for booze due to a better selection than other stores, or if I just need to grab something quick on a Sunday that I couldn't get at Aldi, I honestly can't remember the last time a Hyvee employee said "hi" to me or asked if I needed help finding anything while in passing. Young or old, they seem to just avoid eye contact. Hyvee has truly lost their ways.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Growing up as a kid we did all of our shopping in Storm Lake. They had a Pamida, Kmart, Alco, Sernetts, and a Ben Franklin. When Walmart opened in the early 90's every single one of these stores closed within less than 5 years except Kmart.
Growing up in CR we had Hy-Vee, SunMart, Econofoods, Aldi, even a Barlow's. I don't remember there being a Fareway until later into my teens. It was much better with all those options. I remember us kids going with mom and her stacks of coupons and we'd literally hit 3 different stores in a day to get the different things on sale at each. And of course Old Milwaukee for dad.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Growing up in CR we had Hy-Vee, SunMart, Econofoods, Aldi, even a Barlow's. I don't remember there being a Fareway until later into my teens. It was much better with all those options. I remember us kids going with mom and her stacks of coupons and we'd literally hit 3 different stores in a day to get the different things on sale at each. And of course Old Milwaukee for dad.

Old Mil? Man, you guys were living the good life, I grew up in a Falstaff and Milwaukee's Best house.

Reactions: NWICY and cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Are you too young to remember the Me Too stores...or the Eagle grocery stores in CR? Also...Old Mil Light was our high school beer! Couldn't wait for the weekends so we could grab some Old Mil Light for $3.49 a 12 pack!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Are you too young to remember the Me Too stores...or the Eagle grocery stores in CR?
Wow, forgot all about Me Too. Totally remember, the one in Marion eventually turned into the SunMart. Not sure if Me Too were Nash Finch stores and they all turned into SunMarts?

Good call.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Wow, forgot all about Me Too. Totally remember, the one in Marion eventually turned into the SunMart. Not sure if Me Too were Nash Finch stores and they all turned into SunMarts?

Good call.

I think you are right...they did all turn into SunMarts so they must have been owned by Nash Finch or were bought out?

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Lately, I will do store pickup from Aldi and Fareway. Pantry items usually come from Aldi and everything else is Fareway. That strategy is saving me about 40-50 bucks a week on groceries compared to Hy Vee.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Man, I used to shop at one of the CR ALDI's back in the late 90's/early 2000's. I would just feel filthy after leaving the store.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Wonder if Nash Finch would've done better taking on Hy-Vee if it'd put all its branding chips into one grocery store chain instead of splitting between Econofoods and SunMart.

Great question...it really did seem odd that they had different stores (at least in name) retailing the exact same products.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Growing up as a kid we did all of our shopping in Storm Lake. They had a Pamida, Kmart, Alco, Sernetts, and a Ben Franklin. When Walmart opened in the early 90's every single one of these stores closed within less than 5 years except Kmart.

Oh **** Ben Franklin! Totally forgot about that place.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Lately, I will do store pickup from Aldi and Fareway. Pantry items usually come from Aldi and everything else is Fareway. That strategy is saving me about 40-50 bucks a week on groceries compared to Hy Vee.

I did store pickup from Aldi until Instacart (who handles their online shopping) gave away my food order to someone else. Said I'd be refunded, but it would take five days. So then I had to get out of the car and go in and pick up the things I wanted. Not a big deal, but kind of defeats the purpose of using Instacart and paying their fee. The Instacart customer service just didn't sit well with me, so I just go to Aldi at an off time on the weekends so I don't have to deal with many people. I get 80 percent of our groceries via Fareway drive-up.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and ScottyP

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I did store pickup from Aldi until Instacart (who handles their online shopping) gave away my food order to someone else. Said I'd be refunded, but it would take five days. So then I had to get out of the car and go in and pick up the things I wanted. Not a big deal, but kind of defeats the purpose of using Instacart and paying their fee. The Instacart customer service just didn't sit well with me, so I just go to Aldi at an off time on the weekends so I don't have to deal with many people. I get 80 percent of our groceries via Fareway drive-up.
I've only used the InstaCart with little to no issues so far. The only "issue" was that they put in a marinated pork loin with my groceries that I didn't buy (didn't get charged for, either). I will have to keep that in mind going forward.

I did have a time when Fareway loaded me up with the wrong groceries but they called me on my way home so I turned around and went right back to the store to get it switched. Even with all of that, it was still faster than my experiences at HyVee (which has taken as long as 30 minutes waiting to pick up my order).

Reactions: MJ29

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Grew up in town with Pamida and Kmart. Loved Pamida, my Grandma would visit from Fort Dodge and take me there and always bought me a pack or two of baseball/football cards. Then a new "Big K" Kmart opened up and would hand out free packs of cards when you walked in the store. Pamida went away not too long after. Then I left to go to college. Then Kmart went under years later. All that's left in town is a Fareway, Hy-Vee, Dollar General and Dollar Tree.

Reactions: Kinch and Bocy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Apologize in advance for the long ramble. This is just my opinion as someone that worked part time in the stores in late 90's and early 2000's plus did an internship with their IT department and part time at corporate office for a bit after college until I got a full time job...

Back when Ron Pearson and even Rick Jurgens to some extent were running Hy-Vee they were a lot more calculated with their expansion and what new areas they were going to venture into while making sure not to sacrifice the basic principles the company was good at. Some of you all may remember the Heartland Pantry gas stations back in the days, that was a subsidiary of Hy-Vee but it was so poorly run and not profitable that Hy-Vee sold it off and got out of the gas station business for awhile. Then they started back up years later with a few Hy-Vee gas stations and grew that out slowly and now you see the Fast and Fresh gas stations popping up all over the place with Randy running the show. I was part of the part time staff that opened up the West Lakes store just down the street from the corporate offices. At that time that was their new flagship store and anything new they wanted to experiment/test out before they started rolling it out across the chain they would pilot in that store and we saw things that flopped and we saw some things that were really popular and since corporate offices were just a stone's throw down the street they were able to get good feedback. Again, under that era of leadership they were calculated with anything they were going to add to their stores and just didn't do massive expansions or widespread changes in a short period of time.

At the time a lot of the people at the corporate offices had worked in the stores previously and worked their way into those jobs at the corporate offices so you had people with a lot of front line experience running the operations now. I know in the IT department at the time some of our college interns probably were more technically savvy than some of the people there and even had 1 of the managers tell a few of us over beers one night they could probably hire a few of us to replace some people and we'd be significantly better than some of the people they've had working there for years but Hy-Vee at the time tended to reward loyalty so didn't matter if 1 of us could run circles around someone that had been doing an IT role for 10 years there, they only would hire on if they created new roles or someone left so taking a job there was never much of an option for most of the interns because at the time they just weren't growing as fast to have a need for it.

To me now nearly 20 years removed from working in any capacity at Hy-Vee but still know a few of the folks both at the store and corporate that I run into occasionally I think Randy has just changed the culture too much too fast there and tried to grow it out too much too fast. What made Hy-Vee what it was is the service not the all the stores with the bells and whistles and "one stop shop" that almost makes them trying to emulate retailers like Wal-Mart. It's become obvious that their partnership with Wahlburgers is not successful and I would love to see the financials on the stupid things they added like the exercise equipment, shoes, and nail salons as can't imagine they are doing great either. They are getting to a point they need to scale back and get back to doing what made them the successful company they were and be more calculated with their new ventures. Bigger is not always better.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I love the part where HyVee says that the corporate employees that they are cutting started out in retail so they'd for sure want to come back to retail.