Hy-Vee vs Fareway - Sunday Commercials

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Kind of like the old HyVee regime?
Yeah except I don't see Fareway going all Hollywood like HyVee did. They are still in the mindset of "small family owned store" and that won't change for a long time. Their current CEO is in his 40's and starting working for Fareway at 14. His Dad was a VP at Fareway for a long time. It's funny because employees (and former employees) always joked about "the family" meaning anyone related to the Beckwiths and Kramers but that mentality has helped them prosper.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah except I don't see Fareway going all Hollywood like HyVee did. They are still in the mindset of "small family owned store" and that won't change for a long time. Their current CEO is in his 40's and starting working for Fareway at 14. His Dad was a VP at Fareway for a long time. It's funny because employees (and former employees) always joked about "the family" meaning anyone related to the Beckwiths and Kramers but that mentality has helped them prosper.

That was my point... That's how the old HyVee regime operated.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Fareway has a 10 year plan of adding 70 more stores and another distribution center somewhere so they can expand their footprint even further. And doing all of this with cash on hand.
I have high school classmates who work on crews that build the new stores (putting in coolers, checkout stations, shelves, etc.) . They are going to be very busy over the next few years.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and GMackey32

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
They recently made some financial moves that will allow them to expand rapidly over the next 10 years. Every store they build isn't financed, it's all money they have in their coffers. They are building more meat markets in the Kansas City area since those are wildly popular, including remodeling some of the first ones in KC because the building is just too small for their demand. And now they will be adding a fresh produce section along with the standalone meat markets. So their top two profit margin items sharing a brick and mortar.

I'm jealous that Fareway has meat markets now. I used to live in Kansas City and looking at google maps, looks like they have two locations. One of the locations on Ward parkway used to be McGonigle's, but looks like it was purchased by Fareway.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My apologies in advance for being way off-topic, but the discussion and comments of how Hy-Vee used to be/run has stirred up nostalgia in me for stores like Pamida/Alco/Shopko (still barely hanging on)..

Anyone else miss those, or similar, stores?
Kind of only retail in small towns. I think they were losing to dollar stores more than Amazon though.

I truly do not understand all the pushing non- food items into Hy-Vee. You have a lot better options for clothes and sporting goods in larger towns. And in small towns you can now buy better stuff with more variety on Amazon. I hear a lot of complaints from older people about how hard it is for them to trudge through a big store when they just need basic food items. Then navigate self checkout. I have an 82 year old neighbor who either asks me to order her stuff on my Fareway online order or else gets her food at Casey’s.

• Agree
Reactions: Bocy

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I'm jealous that Fareway has meat markets now. I used to live in Kansas City and looking at google maps, looks like they have two locations. One of the locations on Ward parkway used to be McGonigle's, but looks like it was purchased by Fareway.
They just announced a new one to be built in Olathe. They are super busy at their locations down there.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Fareway is very intentional and public that their market is smaller communities with need for grocery stores.
They opened one in Rockwell City after their local grocery store went out of business. Typically new stores are in the bottom 25% performance wise until they can get traction. This store is in the top 40% already.

Bocy

Nov 27, 2016
Central IA
Kind of only retail in small towns. I think they were losing to dollar stores more than Amazon though.

I truly do not understand all the pushing non- food items into Hy-Vee. You have a lot better options for clothes and sporting goods in larger towns. And in small towns you can now buy better stuff with more variety on Amazon. I hear a lot of complaints from older people about how hard it is for them to trudge through a big store when they just need basic food items. Then navigate self checkout. I have an 82 year old neighbor who either asks me to order her stuff on my Fareway online order or else gets her food at Casey’s.
Exactly. Definitely different issues insome of those smaller-town retail stores, but Hy-Vee's business model has tried to be too progressive and venture into a lot of weird categories or markeets instead of focusing on how they got to where there were in the first place. I know I'm preaching to the choir saying this..

It's not my area of expertise in any way, shape or form -- and I get trying to stay "current", but Fareway is/has proven that you can have a successful business model that doesn't require them to change their core strategy.

If Hy-Vee wouldn't have ventured off into such vexing markets, and do the same as Fareway, they (most likely) wouldn't be in this predicament. New technologies, ways of doing things, etc is great, but drastic core change is another thing..

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Hint" they don't want them to move to retail jobs. It's all a ploy for them to avoid severance and unemployment benefits. They are literally offering office folks cashier positions in order to skirt around having to pay them entitled benefits.
I don't feel any love for Hy-Vee and rarely shop there, but those might be the only jobs Hy-Vee currently has open. It wouldn't do any good to shift office personnel from a no longer needed position to a newly created, not needed position. If their need for office personnel has declined to that extent, they have no other options for employees who want to remain at Hy-Vee. Now, anyone who can should find and take a similar position at a different company instead of stepping down to a low level job at Hy-Vee. I also think Hy-Vee should be on the hook for severance, etc. for those that are forced out.

Reactions: Cyclones01

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My apologies in advance for being way off-topic, but the discussion and comments of how Hy-Vee used to be/run has stirred up nostalgia in me for stores like Pamida/Alco/Shopko (still barely hanging on)..

Anyone else miss those, or similar, stores?

Growing up as a kid we did all of our shopping in Storm Lake. They had a Pamida, Kmart, Alco, Sernetts, and a Ben Franklin. When Walmart opened in the early 90's every single one of these stores closed within less than 5 years except Kmart.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Exactly. Definitely different issues insome of those smaller-town retail stores, but Hy-Vee's business model has tried to be too progressive and venture into a lot of weird categories or markeets instead of focusing on how they got to where there were in the first place. I know I'm preaching to the choir saying this..

It's not my area of expertise in any way, shape or form -- and I get trying to stay "current", but Fareway is/has proven that you can have a successful business model that doesn't require them to change their core strategy.

If Hy-Vee wouldn't have ventured off into such vexing markets, and do the same as Fareway, they (most likely) wouldn't be in this predicament. New technologies, ways of doing things, etc is great, but drastic core change is another thing..

HyVee drastically miscalculated on the things people actually want in their grocery store. I don't care if you build a new flashy store in KC or Minneapolis just don't pass the buck onto the Iowa consumer that even made it possible. IMO that's HyVee's biggest miss, they turned their backs on the consumer that but the company.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't feel any love for Hy-Vee and rarely shop there, but those might be the only jobs Hy-Vee currently has open. It wouldn't do any good to shift office personnel from a no longer needed position to a newly created, not needed position. If their need for office personnel has declined to that extent, they have no other options for employees who want to remain at Hy-Vee. Now, anyone who can should find and take a similar position at a different company instead of stepping down to a low level job at Hy-Vee. I also think Hy-Vee should be on the hook for severance, etc. for those that are forced out.
I'm sorry but suggesting that an employee takes a position that would be a downgrade is absolutely insulting.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron