Hy-Vee on-line grocery

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I can see it being handy for families that are busy with both spouses working.

Fareway is so much cheaper here that I don't see it being worth the extra money for shopping at HyVee.

Not sure where you live, but Fareway is cheaper everywhere! :twitcy:

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Anyone heard of Costco providing pick up or delivery? The larger quantities of non perishable meat and produce would seem to be a better fit for us.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
If I ever have any issues w/ produce or meat..I just email in and they credit it for my next weeks order
Have to like this. Hate that you get bad groceries and then it is like, "return it and we will credit you".. Like who is going to drive to store to return $3.00 in bad apples?

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Know people who use the service and like it but I refuse to. I actually enjoy going grocery shopping (two young boys in tow too). I think others have touched on the drawbacks of the service quite nicely. ie Produce and meats, basically anything that isn't processed. I'd also mention, they don't have every single product listed on their website so you may miss a few special deals in store.

I also enjoy the social aspect of seeing everyone at the store and having my boys practice at theirs.

Anyway... the service isn't for me, but I understand it is for some people.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think others have pinponted my problems with it also. The things that are not perishable are just so much less expensive elsewhere and I don't trust them with the rest. I prefer Fareway for meat and produce as well.

I really wish they would do the delivery free though for elderly and invalid customers. We have a mom and pop store in town that still does that but they don't have the largest selection.

However, for people with busy lives who don't mind paying more for their groceries, it seems like a nice service.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I think others have pinponted my problems with it also. The things that are not perishable are just so much less expensive elsewhere and I don't trust them with the rest. I prefer Fareway for meat and produce as well.

I really wish they would do the delivery free though for elderly and invalid customers. We have a mom and pop store in town that still does that but they don't have the largest selection.

However, for people with busy lives who don't mind paying more for their groceries, it seems like a nice service.

The myth that Fareway has fresher/better product. Maybe your Fareway is better than the ones near me which are not that great.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The myth that Fareway has fresher/better product. Maybe your Fareway is better than the ones near me which are not that great.

Both Fareway and Hy-Vee vary greatly by store. Our Fareway is great and our Hy-Vee sucks.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
I love the delivery service. It seems to save us a lot of money as it keeps us from impulse buying a bunch of junk food that we see.

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
So my wife and I know the Waukee Hy Vee inside and out but between a broken back (me) and a totally busted up ankle (wife) she just tried this tonight. Curious to see how it goes first delivery.

She was very pumped at the order process as it seemed Hy Vee's website has been tracking our history. Very easy ordering but wondering how the produce and meat will go...

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I still like to pick out my own produce and meat so never used it. Would hate to get badly bruised apples/ brown lettuce/ old meat.

haha I hear ya. I worked in a produce aisle throughout high school and college.....and I still love to shop on-site.

I really cringe when some cashier is weighing my apples and bounces them down the counter to the bag boy.

wtf? they fricking bruise! I'll grab them out of the cashier's hand

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So my wife and I know the Waukee Hy Vee inside and out but between a broken back (me) and a totally busted up ankle (wife) she just tried this tonight. Curious to see how it goes first delivery.

She was very pumped at the order process as it seemed Hy Vee's website has been tracking our history. Very easy ordering but wondering how the produce and meat will go...

You can favorite items that you buy on a regular basis, too. Makes it easier t find them on future orders. There's a heart icon up in the top left or right corner; I forget which.

I started doing the pickup service about two months ago. It still takes me a good half hour to order a week's worth of groceries online but I can also do it at the crack of dawn while my family is still asleep. Saves us a family trip to the store later and we can do other stuff with our time - park, bikes, naps, whatever. But I still get my produce on site.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
My wife does a great job of delivering groceries to our house.....oh sorry you meant HyVee delivery, carry on.

My wife's a HyVee employee. Maybe I can use this feature to have her get paid to shop and deliver groceries to my house.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1027556d1447088263-best-memes-thisthreaddelivers.jpg
    1027556d1447088263-best-memes-thisthreaddelivers.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 157

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
haha I hear ya. I worked in a produce aisle throughout high school and college.....and I still love to shop on-site.

I really cringe when some cashier is weighing my apples and bounces them down the counter to the bag boy.

wtf? they fricking bruise! I'll grab them out of the cashier's hand

Showing our age here, but PapaLew & I really miss SaveUMore where we bagged our own groceries. We don't like the two items per bag or the bread smushed in alongside other stuff. On the big grocery trips we would also bag according to fridge, freezer, cupboards & bathroom. Made it easier to put the groceries away when you had two to three carts worth (houseful of teenage boys).

I generally still get my produce, dairy & bread, but the dry goods I'll order and pick up on my way home.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
As a Hy Vee employee, I can vouch that each aisles online shopper is trained how to correctly tell ripe fruit from overly ripe or rotting. Sounds absurd, but it's true. At least that's how it works in my store

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
I would like to try it, I just wish someone in this thread would give some advice as to whether it's good to use for meat and produce.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
As a Hy Vee employee, I can vouch that each aisles online shopper is trained how to correctly tell ripe fruit from overly ripe or rotting. Sounds absurd, but it's true. At least that's how it works in my store

You'd think your produce manager could tell rotting and remove it from the sales floor.

Help Support Us

Become a patron