Hurl Beechum????

jmarter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2010
Yes, it is him/his family (I taught with his stepfather, the principal that was involved). Awful, awful.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
How are there no charges if someone got shot. Im assuming it was self defense, so wouldn't the instigator have some kind of charges?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
That is one terribly written story. I'm pretty sure they just keep updating the original story, throwing new bits of information, in random spots.

But in their defense, I'm sure there is not much solid information coming from the law enforcement. I'm waiting for the local police to find a way to screw this up.

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
I know a teacher at the school. Principal is African American. Some graduates from last year went to the principals house and were using racial slurs and the principal said that is enough time to go. Kid cold cocked him and he fell to the ground. Oh her kids started kick and punching principal. Step son went in to get gun told assailants to leave kids didn't stop so the son shot punk kids. After a while more kids out on Facebook that they were going to beat up the step son. Police saw posts all kids are arrested. I am sure they will be charged with hate crime.

Reactions: Clonegrad07

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
I know a teacher at the school. Principal is African American. Some graduates from last year went to the principals house and were using racial slurs and the principal said that is enough time to go. Kid cold cocked him and he fell to the ground. Oh her kids started kick and punching principal. Step son went in to get gun told assailants to leave kids didn't stop so the son shot punk kids. After a while more kids out on Facebook that they were going to beat up the step son. Police saw posts all kids are arrested. I am sure they will be charged with hate crime.
Smh that is messed up.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
That is one terribly written story. I'm pretty sure they just keep updating the original story, throwing new bits of information, in random spots.

But in their defense, I'm sure there is not much solid information coming from the law enforcement. I'm waiting for the local police to find a way to screw this up.

Agreed, badly written. Convoluted and missing a lot of basic facts.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Quick Facebook search on the kid who was shot, shows he may have some anger issues, and definitely has made threats to others through Facebook.

Read into it what you want....

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
This is pretty tough in Glenwood - I don't think Glenwood is trashy honestly. Scenery is amazing around there and their brewery is awesome... but like many smaller towns it has some issues. Glenwood seems to be evolving into a quasi Omaha suburb - for those that don't want to live in CB.

Per a friend in Glenwood - Principal Hutch is supposedly quite beloved - even by the most troubled kids there, so the whole community is in shock and I think its homecoming week so even more concerning.

Per release - there were 3 former male students, and 3 MINOR females - Hutch and his wife were assaulted, but Hutch sounds like he was/is in bad shape. Thus Hurl Beechum warned and shot one of the guys in the leg. Seems like total self defense and I'm sure that he is quite torn about this, but I would have done the same.

Other details (specifically events leading up to this & what was said there) are being held tight as I think this is being investigated by multiple angles. I REALLY hope its not a hate crime - but if it is I hope they throw the book at these toolbags. Seeing pictures of Hutch with kids and such - We need leaders like him in communities like Glenwood.

I can assure - there are a ton of prayers and tears over this, and the support for Hutch in Glenwood will only escalate over the week.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Those kids didn't know they were rolling up on a North High Polar Bear. Sounds like Hurl behaved reasonably. That's an awful story.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
What a weird, hard to follow story. I'm not up on self defense laws but if true that Hurl shot these losers to protect the principal (his step dad?) is that really a lawful use of a gun? I'm not judging I just don't know.

Hope he doesn't face any charges if he was truly defending the guy.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
What a weird, hard to follow story. I'm not up on self defense laws but if true that Hurl shot these losers to protect the principal (his step dad?) is that really a lawful use of a gun? I'm not judging I just don't know.

Hope he doesn't face any charges if he was truly defending the guy.

Self defense applies to defending others. However, since Hurl was hospitalized as well, he was also probably protecting himself.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I work in Glenwood, a lot of rumors going around. Sounds like it was a pretty bad situation, supposedly the kid that was shot was shot while running away after the first shot missed. Idk all the laws around when/how/where you can shoot someone but this sounds like they won't get it sorted out for a while. The kids involved were walking around town yesterday, so none of them has been charged. Its a bad situation but the town ahs really come together in support of Hutch.