HS Basketball players going the pro route

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
How many guys have TRULY been ready to play in the NBA straight out of HS? Good enough to be worth a top 5 pick in the draft.

Kobe
Lebron
Kevin Garnett
Tracy McGrady
Dwight Howard

Amare Stoudemire
Jermaine Oneal
Andrew Bynum

Tyson Chandler
Rashard Lewis?

And a whole lot of guys who never even became all stars much less stars.

How many guys since Lebron have been REALLY ready to play right out of HS?
Most those guys took at least a few years before they became really good. LeBron and Dwight Howard had the best rookie years of all those players.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
This is just completely false.
He was more popular in HS than most NBA players. He had a ton of followers on his social media accounts I think by the time he was a senior it was I believe close to 2 million followers on Instagram. His Dunks were being shown on ESPN at 16. If not for going to college he would have signed endorsement deals in HS and been making millions then and playing in the GL his highlights would still be on ESPN all the time and they likely would have put games in primetime just to showcase him. He had articles from major outlets writing articles on him in HS like the Washington Post, The Atlantic. Drake was wearing his jersey when he was 16 years old. He was probably the most hyped HS player since James. Barrett and Redish may have had some sites rank them higher but they didn't have his hype. No even close.
Also, he likely had both Adidas and Nike paying his family while in HS. He could have gone to UNC crappsville and his games would have been on ESPN. It wasn't about Duke, it was about Zion.
Zion was a very hyped player coming out of high school but his one year at Duke launched him into superstardom. He had a few high school games on tv but at Duke, he was on ESPN every game. Many who follow NBA closely knew he was good, but his year at Duke got him the attention of casual fans. He went from likely top five pick out high school to consensus #1 pick after his freshman year. Yes, GL highlights would have been shown but the primetime games were likely out because of the tv deal in place.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
One thing that always disgusts me about basketball at the high school/AAU level is the handlers involved. They take advantage of the players for their own personal gain.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This is just completely false.
He was more popular in HS than most NBA players. He had a ton of followers on his social media accounts I think by the time he was a senior it was I believe close to 2 million followers on Instagram. His Dunks were being shown on ESPN at 16. If not for going to college he would have signed endorsement deals in HS and been making millions then and playing in the GL his highlights would still be on ESPN all the time and they likely would have put games in primetime just to showcase him. He had articles from major outlets writing articles on him in HS like the Washington Post, The Atlantic. Drake was wearing his jersey when he was 16 years old. He was probably the most hyped HS player since James. Barrett and Redish may have had some sites rank them higher but they didn't have his hype. No even close.
Also, he likely had both Adidas and Nike paying his family while in HS. He could have gone to UNC crappsville and his games would have been on ESPN. It wasn't about Duke, it was about Zion.
Endorsement value skyrockets when casual, or even non-fans know who you are and want to buy stuff you endorse. His time at Duke made that happen. You knew who he was in HS, but I can read a couple of your posts and safely bet you know more about CBB and HS prospects than 99% of the population. It's not the knowledgeable avid fans, or all the other HS and college kids that follow on social media that make for the massive endorsements like Zion got. Once you are known by the casual fans and random Dads, your endorsements go to a whole new level.

Mikey Williams has 2.4 million followers in IG alone right now. He is nothing that remotely approaches a household name. If he was able to go the pros right now would he get some endorsements, but no casual fan has a clue who Mikey WIlliams is. None of those same casual fans knew who Zion was before the season started, and they wouldn't know who he was in the G League either.

Had Zion gone to the GL he would've got some endorsements too. But there's no way he would've garnered or maintained even remotely the same amount of interest among the casual basketball fan for months in the GL vs. what he got while at Duke. His time at Duke shifted him from somebody avid basketball fans knew to somebody that everybody that casually followed sports knew. That's a HUGE difference in the level of endorsements you get.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Endorsement value skyrockets when casual, or even non-fans know who you are and want to buy stuff you endorse. His time at Duke made that happen. You knew who he was in HS, but I can read a couple of your posts and safely bet you know more about CBB and HS prospects than 99% of the population. It's not the knowledgeable avid fans, or all the other HS and college kids that follow on social media that make for the massive endorsements like Zion got. Once you are known by the casual fans and random Dads, your endorsements go to a whole new level.

Mikey Williams has 2.4 million followers in IG alone right now. He is nothing that remotely approaches a household name. If he was able to go the pros right now would he get some endorsements, but no casual fan has a clue who Mikey WIlliams is. None of those same casual fans knew who Zion was before the season started, and they wouldn't know who he was in the G League either.

Had Zion gone to the GL he would've got some endorsements too. But there's no way he would've garnered or maintained even remotely the same amount of interest among the casual basketball fan for months in the GL vs. what he got while at Duke. His time at Duke shifted him from somebody avid basketball fans knew to somebody that everybody that casually followed sports knew. That's a HUGE difference in the level of endorsements you get.

Sounds like Dickie V. needs to start pimping the Maine Red Claws. You are absolutely correct on this issue. Real Estate........location, location, location. Duke is the location. No one is paying top dollar for a Red Claw Zion.

Reactions: Jerms

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The OE league is definitely well funded at this point but I doubt it can be sustained for the long term if they are going to be paying players $500K/year plus salaries for staff support. I am assuming they are aggressively pursuing Bronny James to help with OE exposure and potential TV deals.

There had been talk about the NBA reinstating rules to draft HS players but they got rid of it for good business reasons and it would be senseless on several counts to reinstate the rule.

And it's long past overdue to implement rules where if a HS player enrolls in college, they are ineligible to play in the NBA for two years (or three if they want to mirror MLB). They also need rules to stabilize the NBA Draft process where if an underclass CBB player is not drafted in the first round, they are no longer Draft eligible, ineligible to play in the NBA for one season and can return to CBB or play GLeague for one season. Far too many underclassmen remain in the Draft every year and end up not getting Drafted or get drafted in the late 2nd round without a NBA contract.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
The OE league is definitely well funded at this point but I doubt it can be sustained for the long term if they are going to be paying players $500K/year plus salaries for staff support. I am assuming they are aggressively pursuing Bronny James to help with OE exposure and potential TV deals.

There had been talk about the NBA reinstating rules to draft HS players but they got rid of it for good business reasons and it would be senseless on several counts to reinstate the rule.

And it's long past overdue to implement rules where if a HS player enrolls in college, they are ineligible to play in the NBA for two years (or three if they want to mirror MLB). They also need rules to stabilize the NBA Draft process where if an underclass CBB player is not drafted in the first round, they are no longer Draft eligible, ineligible to play in the NBA for one season and can return to CBB or play GLeague for one season. Far too many underclassmen remain in the Draft every year and end up not getting Drafted or get drafted in the late 2nd round without a NBA contract.
Bronny James doesn’t really make sense considering he’s the high school prospect who needs money the least in the world

Cycodolphan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2010
Players just need to be allowed to go directly to the NBA. College can certainly boost your image and make you a lot of money, but kids should be allowed to go grab their money right away if they want to.

Josh Selby and Cliff Alexander are a couple good examples of guys who could have gone straight to the pros if they were allowed to, but instead were exposed in college and lost millions of dollars.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
Players just need to be allowed to go directly to the NBA. College can certainly boost your image and make you a lot of money, but kids should be allowed to go grab their money right away if they want to.

Josh Selby and Cliff Alexander are a couple good examples of guys who could have gone straight to the pros if they were allowed to, but instead were exposed in college and lost millions of dollars.
In the past they would have gotten millions of dollars, but been exposed in the NBA. Good for the kid to make the money, but teams got tired of wasting money on players that didn't materialize hence the "one and done" rule. Hopefully there can be some kind of middle ground.

Reactions: JustAFleshWound

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I agree that they should be able to, but I don't think guys that were incorrectly believed to be good enough out of HS dropped in the draft is a very good rationale. There are a finite number of draft and roster slots. If a team gets fooled into picking a Selby out of HS in the lottery and guarantees him a roster spot, it ultimately means somebody that is a legitimate NBA player loses a spot.

So if allowed say Selby goes directly to the 2010 draft and gets picked in the first round. That means somebody that was a better player slides to the second round and loses a bunch of money. That seems like one of the few good things about the one year requirement.

And interesting fact, that 2010 first round featured only one player that ended up with less NBA action than Josh Selby. That was Craig Brackins.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Bronny James doesn’t really make sense considering he’s the high school prospect who needs money the least in the world
Bronny James is currently the most high profile HS player in the country and would definitely bring in the most exposure and TV eyeballs for OE. I agree he doesn't need the money but OE sure as heck does for the short and long term.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I agree that they should be able to, but I don't think a good rationale is that guys that were incorrectly believed to be good enough out of HS dropped in the draft is a very good rationale. There are a finite number of draft and roster slots. If a team gets fooled into picking a Selby out of HS in the lottery and guarantees him a roster spot, it ultimately means somebody that is a legitimate NBA player loses a spot.
And this is exactly why the NBA Players Association would be incredibly stupid to vote on reinstating the drafting of HS players. It's bad business for both the NBAPA and NBA front offices.

Reactions: JustAFleshWound

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's pretty rare that a player is REALLY ready for the NBA coming out of HS. They ran into that problem quite a bit before they created the 1 and done rule. NBA teams gambled on 18 year olds hoping they'd be good, but they just threw money at them and told them not to drown basically. I remember one guy picked out of HS died, I think because he partied to much.
You also had multiple cases where guys just weren't ready for the NBA but teams still took them and did a **** job of developing them. Guys who could have been all stars but sat on the bench and didn't turn into anything.

Yes one year in college protects GMs but it also gives HS kids a chance to figure out how to be more of an adult away from their parents. I think the G League option is pretty good because they are going to develop the kids and hopefully keep an eye on them better than an NBA team would. The kids are going to actually play in the G League too so it will help their game and make them more ready to actually play in the NFL
I doubt that the G League will prepare anyone for playing in the NFL.

;) :p

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
How many guys have TRULY been ready to play in the NBA straight out of HS? Good enough to be worth a top 5 pick in the draft.

Kobe
Lebron
Kevin Garnett
Tracy McGrady
Dwight Howard

Amare Stoudemire
Jermaine Oneal
Andrew Bynum

Tyson Chandler
Rashard Lewis?

And a whole lot of guys who never even became all stars much less stars.

How many guys since Lebron have been REALLY ready to play right out of HS?

Kobe got put into an awesome situation which accelerated his development. If he'd have ended up in Charlotte and tossed into the deep end, it would have been totally different.

For me, its LeBron and Tracy McGrady and that's it. Howard and Garnett definitely would have benefitted from a year in college to help their offensive development.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Kobe got put into an awesome situation which accelerated his development. If he'd have ended up in Charlotte and tossed into the deep end, it would have been totally different.

For me, its LeBron and Tracy McGrady and that's it. Howard and Garnett definitely would have benefitted from a year in college to help their offensive development.

Interesting thought. I think Kobe would have been great regardless. He was such a hard worker that even MJ respected him after working out with him. He would not have had the rings in Charlotte, but he'd have been good and maybe left for a contender eventually.

Kobe is the closest thing to MJ in game style. Lebron is just so much bigger

Help Support Us

Become a patron