How would you set up a college football playoff?

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Some of my friends want to get rid of the bcs, but when I ask them how they would set up a playoff, they won't give an answer.

So if you were to set up a playoff system, how would you do it?

How many teams?
Still have bowl games?
How do you determine which teams get in?
Neutral sites or some games played on a teams' home field?

any other propositions as well

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
Top 12 teams regardless of conference. Must get rid of championship games or move them up. Top 4 teams get a bye. Top seeded teams get byes for first week. The other 4 games are played at the higher seeded teams field. The bye teams now have a home game. Then use the bowl games from here It will be down to 4 teams which is only 3 big bowl games. The problem is if your team is #1 you will not travel to 4 or 5 away bowl games.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Some of my friends want to get rid of the bcs, but when I ask them how they would set up a playoff, they won't give an answer.

So if you were to set up a playoff system, how would you do it?

How many teams?
Still have bowl games?
How do you determine which teams get in?
Neutral sites or some games played on a teams' home field?

any other propositions as well

9 teams, 7 automatics and one play in game played the weekend after conf. championships. Teams that do not make the playoffs play in the bowl games - Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange Bowls would take the 1, 2 or at worst 3 placed conference teams to fulfill already standing bowl commitments. First round of playoffs will be at the teams home stadium based on record, if a tie - based on strength of non-conference scheduled wins. 2nd round would take place at neutral site, most likely rose, fiesta, orange and sugar bowls on a rotating basis. Championship game would be played at the site of the highest ranked teams win in the second round.

There are too many issues with this model (travel, pay-outs, diminished prestige of major bowl games, etc.) but it was the first thing I could come up with.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Maybe if people would give up the idea of there existing this mytical "National Champion" in college football we'd all be better off.

cy2win

May 15, 2006
Use the NFL system. Win your conference and you are in. It would make conference games more compelling. Each conference would have a conference championship game, essentially round 1. A uniform tie break system would have to apply to all conferences. The NFL type system would emphasize wins and take out the gymnastics/figure skating/diving judging aspect from college football. The rankings would mean squat. How important are the NFL power rankings in winning the Super Bowl? Home fields would be used for the first round after the championship games. After that, an NCAA Basketball tournament type site selection would be used for all subsequent rounds. All other teams not making the tournament would be eligible for a bowl game using basically the same standards we have today.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Use the NFL system. Win your conference and you are in. It would make conference games more compelling. Each conference would have a conference championship game, essentially round 1. A uniform tie break system would have to apply to all conferences. The NFL type system would emphasize wins and take out the gymnastics/figure skating/diving judging aspect from college football. The rankings would mean squat. How important are the NFL power rankings in winning the Super Bowl? Home fields would be used for the first round after the championship games. After that, an NCAA Basketball tournament type site selection would be used for all subsequent rounds. All other teams not making the tournament would be eligible for a bowl game using basically the same standards we have today.

This, as long as it doesn't eliminate the normal bowl games. To be honest. I don't really give a hoot who the national champion is if it isn't the Cyclones. So, if we get to 7,8 or 9 wins, I don't want us left out of a bowl game because they decided to take only 16 teams out of 120 div 1 A teams and make a playoff system.

There are too many bowls now, I admit that, but there is something about the bowl system that keeps your season important after you've lost 3 games already. If it's NC or bust, seriously, once you've lost 2 games, why even play the rest of the season? Keep the bowls, take conf. Champs and put them in a playoff. I'm sorry, I don't care how highly you were rated. If you can't win your conference Championship, you aren't a champion. Yes, this includes Oklahoma.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
8 teams:

Big 12, Big 10, ACC, Pac 10, SEC and Big East champions plus two at large play a playoff. Tell the big 10 they have to play a championship game to determine their winner.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
12 teams. Top 4 get byes as they are most likely the only ones who deserve it. Any team that is undefeated is automatically in. Tope 4 and seedings decided by the BCS. I can see no other reasonable way to determine seedings. There would be no limit on teams from each conference. The first four games are played during what used to be conference championship week and there are no conference championship games, therefor no divisions within conferences, nust rotating schedules. The next four games are played in the first week of December. The next two are the next weekend. After this, the two remaining teams play in the NC with all BCS bowls filling as they normally would. This way you keep your bowls but you also give a lot more teams a shot. It's a rough workup but it would be a start.