How Many Losses Wins the Big 12?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I was really impressed with Nowell and Johnson. This was the first time I watched KSU. Why were they picked last? The unknown of Tang or lack of knowledge of these 2? But Tang runs a good program from what it seems. I assumed they have lucked their way to the top and would go on a slide. But with that coaching and those 2 I could see them being in the hunt or even be the favorite, unless the injury bug hits them like it did us. I'm still amazed the position we are in without Kunc and Grill, not to mention Williams.
Johnson is similar to Holmes (but maybe even a little quicker) in that, when he gets you on his hip, you are pretty much done. We did a good job of keeping him boxed in with immediate help for most of the game.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
In terms of hardest remaining schedules, TCU still has to go to ISU and KSU, but they get Baylor, KU and TX at home. They could easily stumble, but if they play to their potential, they should be in the fight until the very end.

Texas, on the other hand, has to play Baylor twice, play us again, and travel to KU, KState and TCU. And they are likely going to get Tech's best game in Lubbock as well. There have a good road win at WVU, but there could be a number of losses for them to close out the conference season.
TCU is so hot and cold. When they are on, they are one of the best teams in the country but then they have nights they just look bad.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
In terms of hardest remaining schedules, TCU still has to go to ISU and KSU, but they get Baylor, KU and TX at home. They could easily stumble, but if they play to their potential, they should be in the fight until the very end.

Texas, on the other hand, has to play Baylor twice, play us again, and travel to KU, KState and TCU. And they are likely going to get Tech's best game in Lubbock as well. There have a good road win at WVU, but there could be a number of losses for them to close out the conference season.
Texas already has 3 road wins don't they? They'll be in the race just as much as the other 5 teams.

All i know is that the Top 6 all have Sweet 16 potential just from watching other conferences.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
One thing ISU has going for us is we seem to have the #1 home court advantage at this point. All of the other teams have struggled in some of their games at home, but we've been pretty dominant in Hilton (even last night we controlled most of the game).
Everyone will lose at least a couple more on the road, but I think we have the best chance of winning out at home and finishing with only four losses.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
TCU is so hot and cold. When they are on, they are one of the best teams in the country but then they have nights they just look bad.
You can bet they will bring everything to Hilton for the rematch after we nailed them at their place. And road woes don't seem to be a problem after they dominated KU at the Phog.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If the conference can be won by a team with 5 or 6 losses, it raises a little doubt if the Big 12 is really as good as we think. Generally, I don't like the intrusion of this weekend's SEC Challenge, but this year it will provide compelling evidence about just how good the Big 12 is.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah, Nowell and Johnson are very very good players. Nowell is extremely difficult to stop because of the fact that he is lighting quick but can also hit from way deep. Top that off with his passing ability and really the biggest win for Tang was getting him to stay at KSU. I don't think they are nearly the team they are today without him. Johnson is a difficult guard just because he is so strong and the just drives it and seeks out contact and makes the refs call something and he can finish through contact.
Scariest thing about Johnson is he was visibly frustrated at times last night and struggling to get the looks he wanted, turning the ball over etc. Yet he still ended with a 15 and 10 double double somehow. Nowell, too, was held in check for pretty much the entire first half, yet ends 23 point 9 assists, doing most of that damage in the 2nd half. I'd hate to see what these two are capable on nights when they both really blow up.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
5, maybe 6. Someone mentioned the upcoming stretch of games for KU, KSU and UT, and it is just brutal. Easy to get on a slide, hard to get on a run.
So, if we win out at Hilton and beat the rest of the non-ranked teams on the road, we'd win the conference?

Reactions: Cyclonepride

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
If the conference can be won by a team with 5 or 6 losses, it raises a little doubt if the Big 12 is really as good as we think. Generally, I don't like the intrusion of this weekend's SEC Challenge, but this year it will provide compelling evidence about just how good the Big 12 is.
I would usually agree with you, but this year for us I would rest Grill completely and limit minutes for several other guys. This years team can compete with guys 7-10 much more than probably any other team. Get Ward, Watson and Rob more minutes. Lower all the starters minutes at least some. In the scheme of things this game doesn't mean much for ISU. The rest of the season will be a slug fest.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Lost majority of their team, including two best players.
New coach with no track record.
Nowell returning, but wasn't particular star last year (12ppg).
No idea how Johnson was going to be post 'injury' time off.
Someone has to finish last.
Also, Johnson committed to them about 10 minutes before the first game. Seriously, I think they had already started practices.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
5 losses gets you at minimum a share. 6 might get you a share too.

I would sign up for 12-6 in a heartbeat. I think we pick up 1 more road win either @WVU or @Tech but lose 1 at home. My guess is TCU. Would need to then unexpectedly win 1 of the three games @texas, @KState, or @Baylor to get to 12-6 in that scenario.

Reactions: DurangoCy

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I think five wins it outright and 6 losses would probably be a 3way share
Look at it this way, if the six ranked teams split their home and away with each other they'd all have five losses. And, it is also likely each of them lose one of the eight games against the bottom four.

The above scenario leads to several 6 loss teams. Find a way to lose five and I think you win the league outright

• Agree
Reactions: alarson and nrg4isu

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Texas already has 3 road wins don't they? They'll be in the race just as much as the other 5 teams.

All i know is that the Top 6 all have Sweet 16 potential just from watching other conferences.
yes...they have three road wins...over three of the bottom four teams in the league. They have yet to go to KU, TCU, Baylor.