How ISU are you?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Recently, I heard an NPR discussion of a book titled "How ____ are you?" that focused on the authenticity of expressions of a particular ethnicity. It made me think it would make a good CF thread.

So, "how ISU are you?" What makes you truly a Cyclone Fanatic? What are the characteristics that make one an ISU fan? How far do you go to express your support for ISU?

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
Some characteristics for a true Cyclone Fanatic:

When you travel to areas far from Iowa, and see a stranger wearing either an ISU or and Iowa shirt/hat, you great them by yelling "Go Cyclones!"

Your pet has at least one ISU related item (collar, dog dish, etc.)

Your canned response to anything a Hok fan says is "Seneca Wallace!"

You can name three campus traditions off the top of your head.

You planned a wedding around an ISU sporting event.

You avoid any clothing combination that includes both black and yellow.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
About half of my closet is ISU shirts. I was born and grew up in Ames and have been a Cyclone fan since I was old enough to attend games (about 31 years). I was there when Hilton Magic was born. I watched Troy Davis rush for 2000 yards, then do it again, then watched his little brother do it too. I was at the ISU/OSU basketball game and the ISU/FSU football game. I attended every MBB and FB game while in school at ISU earning my engineering degree. I watched Bill Fennelly turn around the women's program. I met my wife class at ISU - we even "campaniled" once. I still won't walk across the Zodiac. My younger brother graduated from ISU. My parents met at ISU and my dad graduated from ISU. Two of my uncles graduated from ISU, both in an Ag field. One went on to be the head of the Toxicology Dept at VetMed. Two of my cousins graduated from ISU. My greatest anxiety in choosing to relocate away from central Iowa was that I wouldn't be able to attend many ISU games anymore (but with CF, Cyclones.tv and the new TV contract I can stay up to date).

I am a Cyclone.

Edit: Forgot to add that my three daughters, ages 6, 5 and 3 can all sing the fight song and have cheerleader outfits complete with pom-poms. My oldest even roots for the Hawkeyes to lose when they're not playing ISU.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbbone and isuska

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
my dogs name is cy every shirt I have that is not for dress is ISU the only websites I go to have something to do with the CYCLONES!!!!!

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
My love for Iowa State was born out of moving to Davenport (from Salt Lake City) when I was 6. The overbearing self-righteous worship of all things Hawkeye from the idiots around me and in the newspapers was suffocating. I don't think it's possible to hate the University of Iowa more than I did as a kid. I decided that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Boom! A loyal son forever true was born.

Reactions: MeanDean

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I planned my wedding for a weekend that ISU played Friday night and the hawk fans missed their game, I've told my wife's family if they give me or my son anything hawkeye it will become a dog toy and be destroyed in 10 minutes or less and ISU games dictate the rest of my day...if the Clones win I'm happy as hell and my whole day is ruined if they lose

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm from Chicago, but have come to love ISU sports, especially football and gymnastics. I'm one of the biggest ISU fans in our church. Friends who are alumni can't believe than I'm not a grad or even from Iowa.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
One grandpa taught vet med at ISU, the other graduated from ISU, I believe both grandma's worked at the library (or maybe bookstore), Both my parents graduated from ISU. 2 Uncles graduated from ISU, I graduated from ISU, both my sisters graduated from ISU. My wife graduated from ISU, which is where I met her.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
One grandpa taught vet med at ISU, the other graduated from ISU, I believe both grandma's worked at the library (or maybe bookstore), Both my parents graduated from ISU. 2 Uncles graduated from ISU, I graduated from ISU, both my sisters graduated from ISU. My wife graduated from ISU, which is where I met her.

Great pedigree!

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
My mother, my father, my sister has 2 and myself all have degrees from ISU.

My dad has had season fb tickets since forever and I have been to so many football games in ames. It has be in the 150-200 range.

I havent missed a bowl game.

I have twice attended all games home and away in a season.

I skipped one of my best friends weddings because the ******* scheduled it on a game day. Still ****** about that even though it was 10 years ago. (And so is his wife)

I park all farm equipment on home game days.

I could go on all day but these are the most diehard things.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
My cat's name is Cy
I once made my daughter cry when she was 2 and cheered for Drew Tate scoring a TD.
I will not wear anything black and gold together.
I will never by anything for any occasion that is Hawkeyes for anybody.
ISU losing makes me have a bad day/week.
One of my dauther's first words was Cyclones.
No matter how bad they are I will still cheer for them and think that they can win.

That are the few off the top of my head right now.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
I bleed cardinal and urinate gold.
Sounds to me like you need a bandaid and a glass of water! I keed, I keed. I often relate back to the Okie State game last year when trying to describe how I feel towards Iowa State. The amazing spectrum of emotions. I watched the game with my dad but did not say a word to him the whole second half. I don't think there is a word to describe the feeling at the end of the game. Iowa State is a part of who I am.

WAP311

Jul 17, 2012
Waukee
My wife and I both graduated from ISU.
We were married on the Campanile 10 years ago today.
My dogs name is Cy.
I have more ISU shirts and hats than I know what to do with.
I have ISU posters plastered all over my classroom including one of CPR on the front door as you walk in.
My basement is decked out in ISU.
License plates are on the way for both vehicles.
Watch/listen/attend every game possible.
Root for all former Cyclones in the Pros.
Buy Cyclone gear for Hok loving family member's kids.
Give crap every weekend to all Hok/Husker fans on FB and in person.

Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron