How good we Jerry Moses?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I watched the first half of the insight bowl while cleaning my house tonight. they interviewed jerry on the sidelines to talk about j.j. (one of my favorite all-time iowa staters). Reporter said he was the best player ever to come out of the state of iowa with over 100 collegiate suitors.

is that legit? what what was his connection to ISU for the clones to land him?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I watched the first half of the insight bowl while cleaning my house tonight. they interviewed jerry on the sidelines to talk about j.j. (one of my favorite all-time iowa staters). Reporter said he was the best player ever to come out of the state of iowa with over 100 collegiate suitors.

Is that what you call it?

CyBraveBear

Sep 28, 2011
Shawnee, KS
I was to young to remember him playing but worked with him a bit at Hy—Vee in Waterloo when I was in high school. Nicest guy you could ever meet.

Reactions: t-noah

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Reporter said he was the best player ever to come out of the state of iowa with over 100 collegiate suitors.

Legit. At that time, he was the most highly-recruited prep ever in the state of Iowa. Coaches would park in front of the house at all hours. Family had their phone disconnected just to stop it from ringing.

2x first-team all-state in football
2x all-state in basketball
High jump of 6-6 (indoor) and 6-4 (outdoor)
State indoor champ in sprint hurdles
14.5 outdoor in the 120y (110m) hurdles
Ran on the 880y (4x2) relay that won at Drake

It's too bad he struggled with injuries.

Last edited:

Jriddge28

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 19, 2020
Random story - When I was a Freshman, JJ was a year older and offered out of nowhere to give a friend and I ride home from class. Just saw us walking and offered us a ride. We knew he was a football player but he handn’t risen to fame yet, so we didn’t really know who he was. He was a genuinely good guy.

Reactions: t-noah and Aclone

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Legit. At that time, he was the most highly-recruited prep ever in the state of Iowa. Coaches would park in front of the house at all hours. Family had their phone disconnected just to stop it from ringing.

2x first-team all-state in football
2x all-state in basketball
High jump of 6-6 (indoor) and 6-4 (outdoor)
State indoor champ in sprint hurdles
14.5 outdoor in the 120y (110m) hurdles
Ran on the 880y (4x2) relay that won at Drake

It's too bad he struggled with injuries.
A couple other things that I heard about while he was at ISU. One is that after Majors had a commitment, he arranged to have him hide out in a motel as signing day approached. The big schools were trying to come in and steal him away, but they couldn’t find him.
Another is that his biggest strength was said to be his vision on the field. Coaches said that they had never seen a RB find the right hole and running lane as well as Moses.

Reactions: t-noah

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
I have family who went to school at East and watched them during their incredible football years. Jerry Moses is a name to this day that comes up when talking about football. I can't speak as someone who personally saw him play but people I know who did said he was simply incredible. The real deal.

Reactions: t-noah and aauummm

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

I'm too young to remember him playing, but my dad said had he not been injured he would have been one of the greatest Cyclones of all time.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
JJ's mom and dad ran the Y-care before/after school when my oldest was in kindergarten. They were two of the nicest people you could ever meet. Jerry was always throwing a football to the kids when I got there to drop off or pick up. I don't know how his arm didn't fall off.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

I knew Jerry extremely well. Played together in HS, roomed together at the State BB tourney, worked with his wife for many years. Attended his funeral.
Great guy and fabulous athlete. Always had a smile on his face. When asked how good he was, I always answer - he could have been the first black player at Alabama. He turned them down, the next year they signed their first black player. Also - I have a close friend who was a sports writer. He interviewed Johnny Majors after he was fired at Tennessee. Majors told him in the interview that Jerry was the best player he ever recruited ( remember, he had Tony Dorset). If I remember right, Jerry high jumped6’6” as a sophomore. The world lost a good person when he died. I could go on and on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron