How does this end?

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I believe if we beat Texas, the Kansas State game will not have the Snyder fix in. If we lose to Texas, the Kansas State game will have the Snyder fix on and it will be dangerous for whatever crew Bowlsby sends to Ames.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
SaltyOddBudgie-size_restricted.gif

(of the big 12)

C'mon gang. Freddie needs more rainbows! :D

Reactions: Bigman38

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
I believe if we beat Texas, the Kansas State game will not have the Snyder fix in. If we lose to Texas, the Kansas State game will have the Snyder fix on and it will be dangerous for whatever crew Bowlsby sends to Ames.

I don't think ISU has to worry about this, if Taco Tech beats K-State. That eliminates them from bowl eligibility

Reactions: khardbored

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Winning out would mean we beat #15 which with head to head result would mean we go to at least 15 if there is 0 other upward movement after a top 15 win on the road.

UCF could easily lose to Cincinnati this weekend and drop 5 plus because they did so.

Ohio State faces Michigan.
WVU still has OU
Washington State still has Washington.
Syracuae has 2 ranked opponents left.

It's not unreasonable to think we cant move up 3 spots to get to #12, even without major upsets. Add a single major upset or 2 combined with ISU running the table and Clones are in the top 12.

If Washington State or UCF lose, the committee will tank them in the rankings because of conference perception this year.

We end above TX, UCF, Cuse, and Washington State and we're into a NY6 game. No massive shake ups or upsets needed for that to occur either. And there's plenty of other games that can be a massive upset that could send a team down significantly.

Yeah, there's not a realistic path to the playoffs for Iowa State but if the team wins out then they're playing in the Sugar Bowl, aren't they? So NY6 no question. Doubt we'd get in to the NY6 game that isn't the Sugar with 4 losses if we don't win out. But 9-3 with a Big XII title means Sugar.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211718886

Edit: This was assuming that we make the Big XII title game which we don't control our own destiny on. So yeah, I guess it isn't a totally sure thing since at 9-3 but with no title we probably don't have the cache to make the NY6.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2speedy1

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
I don't think ISU has to worry about this, if Taco Tech beats K-State. That eliminates them from bowl eligibility

They almost got eliminated from bowl eligibility last week until the last few minutes against KANSAS.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
If we win out we will be in a NY6, whether we go to the conference championship or not at this point.
If we lose one game we are out.
So if we go to the Championship we have to win it, win and we are in the Sugar, lose and we are going to the Alamo, or Camping.
If we win out but don't make the Championship. We should have a high enough ranking to get us to the Peach or Fiesta.
My feeling if we win out, and get the 9th game against IW, but not in the championship, the loser of the championship will fall below us in the rankings too. I would guess we would be in the #10 range baring any major chaos which would make us higher.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
it ends differently than the debbie downers here think. now suck it up buttercup

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
If we win out we will be in a NY6, whether we go to the conference championship or not at this point.
If we lose one game we are out.
So if we go to the Championship we have to win it, win and we are in the Sugar, lose and we are going to the Alamo, or Camping.
If we win out but don't make the Championship. We should have a high enough ranking to get us to the Peach or Fiesta.
My feeling if we win out, and get the 9th game against IW, but not in the championship, the loser of the championship will fall below us in the rankings too. I would guess we would be in the #10 range baring any major chaos which would make us higher.

I know the highest rated conference team (not in the playoffs) goes to the Sugar Bowl . . .

If we win out but don't make the CCG, and Oklahoma beats WVU in the CCG, and Oklahoma is in the playoffs . . .

Is WVU "automatically" considered the next best team in Big 12 rules since they played in the CCG?

That's one I wonder about.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I know the highest rated conference team (not in the playoffs) goes to the Sugar Bowl . . .

If we win out but don't make the CCG, and Oklahoma beats WVU in the CCG, and Oklahoma is in the playoffs . . .

Is WVU "automatically" considered the next best team in Big 12 rules since they played in the CCG?

we should be able to leap frog WVU in this scenario

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
We win out including a victory over OU mythe Big 12.
Washington State loses to Washington
Michigan beats Ohio State.
Notre Dame wins out .
Clemson loses to South Carolina.
UCF loses in their Conference Championship game.

Playoff committee says "Iowa State is so different from those three losses that they might be the only team that can compete with Alabama." And we get ranked 4th.

See y'all in Dallas in the CFP baby

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
IDK what to think.

I can definitely see OSU beating WV in the afternoon. Which would swing the door WIDE open for ISU. And then normally, Lucy would take the football away and ISU would choke due to refs or missed FG or something. Classic nut cup result.

But with CMC and the new world of having a normal football team, I just don't know. Everything's coming up Milhouse these days.

I think it's about 50/50 on both the Texas and WV games. So 1/4 that we are in 2nd place going into KSt game next week.

I don't think we beat OU in the CCG, if we get there, and I don't think we get to a NY6 unless OU goes CFP.

Holy mixed cultural metaphors, Batman.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

First, I do not know if it is the "Highest Rated" or the "Second Placed" team if the first placed team goes to the playoff. This is something we need to find out. Because it could effect us both if we go to the CCG and if not. Because if whoever goes to the CCG and wins, could possibly end up in the Playoff. That would mean either the loser gets the Sugar or the highest rated does.

With this for OK to make the CCG and the Playoff, you have to consider they won out... which means they beat WVU, and that would mean we are in the CCG with them. And they would then have to beat us to make the Playoff, thus, we are both probably the second placed team by reason of us losing in the CCG, and at this point possibly the highest ranked team outside the playoff, while WVU may be sitting higher.

If WVU wins out, then OK will drop, and WVU has a chance at the Playoff, For this to happen then they have to beat OK, the last game of the season and in the CCG. If this happens, I would see OK dropping below us in the Rankings, if we win out, but still being the second place team by virtue of the CCG. So in this scenario, do they take 3 Big 12 teams to NY6 Bowls? or do we get left out? Or do we go in place of OK? If say we finish out at #9 or #10, and OK ends in this scenario #13 or #14?

I don't know the exact rules in these scenarios, but I do know a lot of things will be more clear tomorrow Night.

• Informative

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
First, I do not know if it is the "Highest Rated" or the "Second Placed" team if the first placed team goes to the playoff. This is something we need to find out. Because it could effect us both if we go to the CCG and if not. Because if whoever goes to the CCG and wins, could possibly end up in the Playoff. That would mean either the loser gets the Sugar or the highest rated does.

2nd place seems to be the precedent.

2015: Oklahoma (#4) is the conference champion, and goes to the CFP semifinal. TCU (#11) is the next-highest ranked Big 12 team, but doesn't get in. Oklahoma State (#16) goes to the Sugar Bowl. OSU and TCU tied for 2nd in the Big 12 at 7-2, but OSU had head-to-head.

• Informative