How does Butler get so wide open?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just watched some highlights of last season and it was surprising how many times teams completely lost Butler right over the middle. He must have had 4 TDs where he was 5-10 yards behind the defense, running right down the seam.

He also had some great catches in the back of the endzone and a couple catches where he just would not get tackled.

Really excited to see what he will do this year. Needs to get better at catching the ball with contact, but that is not easy to do.

Hoping Jones or someone can step in and do some of the things that Ryen did last year. Going to need a speed guy on the outside.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Was Butler being covered by DBs all the time? I know he lined up on the inside quite a bit, almost like a detached TE, so wonder if he was being covered by LBs while Lazard was being doubled on the outside.

A LB has no chance against Butler. None.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
have they talked about whether he'll take Lazard's spot this year? Or will they use him in the same role next season?

Regardless he seems primed for a big year.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Was Butler being covered by DBs all the time? I know he lined up on the inside quite a bit, almost like a detached TE, so wonder if he was being covered by LBs while Lazard was being doubled on the outside.

A LB has no chance against Butler. None.

with the weapons we had, Iowa shouldn't have been able to stop us. On our final possession of regulation, we called 3 ultra conservative plays. I swear, we target Butler just once in that sequence, that game is over. Of course throwing it to him is risky, it could have been picked or our QB could have been sacked, but I would have felt better about losing that game by trying to let our weapons make a play rather than the conservative 3 and out and kicking it to Iowa and letting them have to ball against our tired defense on a hot day with both starting safeties out.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
with the weapons we had, Iowa shouldn't have been able to stop us. On our final possession of regulation, we called 3 ultra conservative plays. I swear, we target Butler just once in that sequence, that game is over. Of course throwing it to him is risky, it could have been picked or our QB could have been sacked, but I would have felt better about losing that game by trying to let our weapons make a play rather than the conservative 3 and out and kicking it to Iowa and letting them have to ball against our tired defense on a hot day with both starting safeties out.

Our last offensive play that day was a drop by a wide open Buter

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
I really enjoyed a few times where Butler made a catch in traffic or on a comeback route, something like that, then bulldozed a defender or two for 5-8 extra yards. I believe he commented that people underestimate his strength, too, think he's just a skinny receiver, and he enjoys proving them wrong.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
The combination of Lazard and Montgomery usually had the safeties full attention, plus a CB. Murdoch got covered by the other CB, which left Butler in a lot of 1 on 1 coverages with LBs who were getting help from distracted safeties. Add in his deceptive speed, and the seam route could open up quickly for him if the safety was slow in getting back to help.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Still baffled that ISU didn't run that quick pitch to the outside to DM near the end of the game. Iowa's LBers really struggled to get outside on that play earlier in the game.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
have they talked about whether he'll take Lazard's spot this year? Or will they use him in the same role next season?

Regardless he seems primed for a big year.

I think they'll move him outside. I say this because it appears we've developed our TEs into pass catchers as well as blockers.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron