How can the coaching staff not know what down it is??? EVER HEARD OF A TIMEOUT??

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I've OC'd high school football for a long time. I have always had a coach in the pressbox and his only job was to give me the down, distance, hash, or middle of the field after every offensive play. This allowed me to stay focused on the play sheet. If we can afford to have that coach in Texas High School football, I would think ISU could afford that coach as well.

^^^^ this !!! :realmad:

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
What people are missing is that it's important to tell players to pay attention to detail, even if you miss the most important ones yourself.

Agreed, Lanning should know that, but then again it seems like Sam never figured these types of things out either after watching him take a sack against Toledo.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Quick look at the game:
8 times we had them 3rd & long (8+ yards) & gave up 1st downs on 5 of them. 3 of those 8 times we brought 5 or more, & only 1 time was it successful for a stop. When we rushed 3 we had 2 stops & 3 failures.

keep in mind 1 time we blitzed & it looked to be timed well but a delay of game penalty stopped the play. Then after the penalty we rushed 3 & they got the 1st down. Also, we had stopped them when the procedure penalty nullified the play. Again they were successful after the penalty. We blitzed both times.

there were also 2 times we had them 3rd & 6. We brought more than 3 each time & OSU converted both of those, 1 by running the ball

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Back to the lecture at hand, Rhoads you see them ****ers with orange sticks in their hands?

They be the chain gang & they ain't movin, unless we get the 1st down that we've been pursuin'

we had 3 freakin minutes. No reason to crap the bed because of time. In fact I think Ryen had a decent return & D'Vario got 7 yards on 1st down. It's college so moving the chains stops the clock but our staff doesn't seem to know that. The whole thing was pathetic & we only scored 7 in the 2nd half. Ugh

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
The real question is would you take the head coaching job at ISU? I would just because of the money.

Maybe, but I would rather make JP's money, hang out with donors, travel to every football and basketball game on the university's dime, and help the HC's be great at their job by making sure they never got comfortable.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
Maybe, but I would rather make JP's money, hang out with donors, travel to every football and basketball game on the university's dime, and help the HC's be great at their job by making sure they never got comfortable.

Instead we have an AD who fluffs the pillows and tucks our football coach in every night....right before he promptly ***** the bed.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
Does sound like our staff of the last three years. What a mess, manginator.

We run a smaller running back on 4th and 1 and get stuffed at crucial time. This was the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen this ridiculous call

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The real question is would you take the head coaching job at ISU? I would just because of the money.

There are good coaches that would gladly take on the challenge, and succeed. The real shortage is in ADs that can recognize them. We definitely should have doubts about JP's ability, if not desire, to do so.