Horrific foul call in 4A Boys game

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Absolutely brutal. But this will continue to happen as long as officials getting to the state tournament is based on popularity rather than merit.

Rather that rehash it all again, I'll copy and paste from an email I shared with friends:

First, from that viewpoint it's a foul that shouldn't be called anyway. Second, if it was while the ball was in flight, the ball becomes dead immediately on an offensive foul and the basket can't be counted. Third, if it's after the ball goes through the hoop, it must be flagrant or intentional or it is to be ignored. Fourth, they had a chance to get together and hash this all out and had an easy out: The foul was with the horn and we're going to OT.

One of the non-calling officials needed to man-up and say no, we're not doing this. They're ALL guilty.

PS: IMO, you ONLY call that foul if that ball comes off the rim and he gets the rebound. Otherwise, NEVER.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
1. No doubt in my mind its a foul for sure

2. I'm a firm believer that fouls shouldn't be called unless it's completely obvious the last 5 seconds of a game. In no way possible could that ball have hit the rim, bounced out, and the Senior player get the tip in in 0.5 seconds. No way at all.

So, while I agree that it was a foul, I disagree that it should've been called. Let them play. Some refs don't have that concept.

I totally agree with you. It could've been called a foul, but it should not have. Some uptight ref who couldn't see the play couldn't keep his lips off the whistle.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Absolutely brutal. But this will continue to happen as long as officials getting to the state tournament is based on popularity rather than merit.

Rather that rehash it all again, I'll copy and paste from an email I shared with friends:

First, from that viewpoint it's a foul that shouldn't be called anyway. Second, if it was while the ball was in flight, the ball becomes dead immediately on an offensive foul and the basket can't be counted. Third, if it's after the ball goes through the hoop, it must be flagrant or intentional or it is to be ignored. Fourth, they had a chance to get together and hash this all out and had an easy out: The foul was with the horn and we're going to OT.

One of the non-calling officials needed to man-up and say no, we're not doing this. They're ALL guilty.

PS: IMO, you ONLY call that foul if that ball comes off the rim and he gets the rebound. Otherwise, NEVER.
Your second point doesnt make sense. If an offensive player lets go of the ball before making contact with a defender in a charge situation the basket counts, why would this be different?

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
And you haven't had refs say "two hands" to you?

A couple times, but I would still be physical and stuff like that would only get called if the opposing player oversold it. In this case, the opposing player made no attempt to sell the "push." Should have been a no call in that case and the whole game.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Your second point doesnt make sense. If an offensive player lets go of the ball before making contact with a defender in a charge situation the basket counts, why would this be different?
Not in high school

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Just tell ya that after watching the Girls games last week - there seems to be ALOT of questionable calls that go against Des Moines schools opponents. This is just one more case....In West vs SE Polk, nearly same amount of fouls in the game, however, SE Polk shot 13 more freethrows with several questionable calls of players on the floor - thus non-shooting fouls.

Guess even the refs couldnt save Urbandale, they got rocked by Bettendorf....one way to take refs calls out of the game of chance, simply knock someone out....IMO thats the only way you can assure yourself that this will not happen....

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
There was definitely a small push in the back when the ball was in the air, but nothing to warrant a foul call.

That's a foul all game. 2 hands in the back, full extension of the arms. If no foul is called and the shot is missed, rebounded and put back, that would be an egregious no call.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Just tell ya that after watching the Girls games last week - there seems to be ALOT of questionable calls that go against Des Moines schools opponents. This is just one more case....In West vs SE Polk, nearly same amount of fouls in the game, however, SE Polk shot 13 more freethrows with several questionable calls of players on the floor - thus non-shooting fouls.Guess even the refs couldnt save Urbandale, they got rocked by Bettendorf....one way to take refs calls out of the game of chance, simply knock someone out....IMO thats the only way you can assure yourself that this will not happen....
High school refs suck for the most part. Had instances where parents of the opposite team officiated games. And obviously the bias was off the charts bad. It shouldn't be that hard to get people who aren't parents to ref, it is what it is.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
1. No doubt in my mind its a foul for sure

2. I'm a firm believer that fouls shouldn't be called unless it's completely obvious the last 5 seconds of a game. In no way possible could that ball have hit the rim, bounced out, and the Senior player get the tip in in 0.5 seconds. No way at all.

So, while I agree that it was a foul, I disagree that it should've been called. Let them play. Some refs don't have that concept.

Regarding #2, you expect the official to know that there was half a second left and not 3 seconds left? Its hard enough to officiate a game straight up and no you think they need to start thinking about the game situation to determine if they should blow the whistle on top of it?

This call is why this official was doing state tournament games. Bad officials would call the foul if the shot was missed. Good officials call it when the foul occurs.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
The refs were bad the whole night. At one pointCarlo Marble (devyns little brother) got punched while shooting and no call. Refs were waiting to see if the ball was going in before calling a foul. On that last play, I had no idea what the call was. I was watching the shooter and wasn't following the action under the bucket. Great win for VHS though!

IlikeTornados

Jan 20, 2010
Ames
State tournament refs in every sport are always biased towards Des Moines Schools, particularly Valley.

Having said that the officiating in the next game was just as bad. High school refs may just be incompetent as a whole.