Home Speaker Repair

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I'm in need for speaker repair for Pioneer CS-88a's (picture for reference). Nothing in CR area, that I know of.

Does anyone know of a place that could work on these? I will be in MSP, Ames, Waterloo/CF, and possibly DSM this week.

TIA

-keep

Attachments

• 1319-3.jpg
    1319-3.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 33

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I go to Millard Electronics. They are based in Omaha, but they have a tech that comes to Des Moines 3-4 days a week (his name is Regan - he's a good dude). I don't believe they are here on weekends. I had them do a warranty repair on a Pioneer receiver and I also use them at my job - I bring them out to look at our Samsung commercial displays. That's who I would recommend.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
pioneer_cs-88a_sch.pdf_1.png

Not sure how handy you are, but that's the service manual that a service tech is going to reference. You might have luck printing this off and taking it to a local guy in CR and see if they can help you out.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
What sort of repairs are you seeking?

I've done quite a bit of this as a hobby...might be able to assist.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'm assuming you're looking at replacing the tweeter surrounds? It's a PITA and takes awhile so it might be a bit pricey. If that is what you're looking at, have you tried looking around for complete replacements?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
What sort of repairs are you seeking?

I've done quite a bit of this as a hobby...might be able to assist.

Foam repair, maybe some speaker replacement. Also I know very little on audio stuff ..... so what is really wrong, I don't know.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
pioneer_cs-88a_sch.pdf_1.png

Not sure how handy you are, but that's the service manual that a service tech is going to reference. You might have luck printing this off and taking it to a local guy in CR and see if they can help you out.

I'd have sworn those were the plans for the Death Star.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Foam repair, maybe some speaker replacement. Also I know very little on audio stuff ..... so what is really wrong, I don't know.

Gotcha. I've always had my speakers reconed by others. I've done some crossover work as well, but if your looking for a complete overhaul, you may want to start checking around on audio forums for that speaker brand.

For example, the Klipsch forms have a huge user base with a TON of knowledge. I could tell you who exactly to go to for drop in replacements of most of the Klipsch products. You may find similar info for your speakers.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
If you're inclined to look at it yourself, start by calling these guys:

https://www.parts-express.com/

Otherwise, there is a BIG group of Midwest DIY folks that go nuts for this stuff. There's a pretty large event that takes place at Grinnell College every October. Building and repairing stuff like this:
http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/event-archive/iowa-2015/

Plenty of hobbyists around Iowa, and CR do this for fun.

Me? I'd gut the cabinets and install something state-of-the-art.

• Informative
Reactions: keepngoal

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I did new surrounds for my old Yamaha NS-325 10" woofers. Got the kit from Simply Speakers. They had a nice YouTube on how to.

Same site sells surround kits for CS-88A 3" tweeters:
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/pioneer-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-3p.html

If you like the old speakers I'd totally take on the refoaming, it's not that hard. Finding someone to do it would be more $$ then you'd want to pay even if you can find someone. You used to be able to mail in speakers to Simply Speakers for them to refoam/repair but they do not do that anymore.

My refoam job. Ignore the hammer in the background...you do not need a hammer for this! My tweeters were okay, they have rubber surrounds. If you were in the Twin Cities I'd say get the kit and bring em over (with a bottle of wine).

yamaha refoam.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: keepngoal and Turn2

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I did new surrounds for my old Yamaha NS-325 8" woofers. Got the kit from Simply Speakers. They had a nice YouTube on how to.

Same site sells surround kits for CS-88A 3" tweeters:
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/pioneer-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-3p.html

If you like the old speakers I'd totally take on the refoaming, it's not that hard. Finding someone to do it would be more $$ then you'd want to pay even if you can find someone. You used to be able to mail in speakers to Simply Speakers for them to refoam/repair but they do not do that anymore.

My refoam job. Ignore the hammer in the background...you do not need a hammer for this! My tweeters were okay, they have rubber surrounds. If you were in the Twin Cities I'd say get the kit and bring em over (with a bottle of wine).

View attachment 47652

I did the reconing or whatever it is called on a pair of woofers in speakers that the wife had owed since the 70's. Can't remember the source I found, but I would agree, if you are fairly handy it is not that hard to do. The kit was about the price of a couple decent 6 packs as I recall.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)

I'm in Iowa City, and I've worked on a lot of speakers. Those shouldn't be too bad to refoam or replace bad drivers for. I'd be happy to take a look at them, but it would have to wait until after I move in late June. I already have a couple preamps to refurbish for some acquaintances.

• Informative
Reactions: keepngoal

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I'm in Iowa City, and I've worked on a lot of speakers. Those shouldn't be too bad to refoam or replace bad drivers for. I'd be happy to take a look at them, but it would have to wait until after I move in late June. I already have a couple preamps to refurbish for some acquaintances.

I'd like to take you up on that, and I am open to compensation for a repair. And the June time frame would work for me. PM me if interested, and we can get it sorted out.

Help Support Us

Become a patron