MLB: Home Run Derby

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yeah, Harper OPS'd .817 and posted a 5.0 WAR as a 19 year old and is OPS'ing .893 this year....but he doesn't have elite tools. That's a clown statement, bro.
1 good year does not make a career. He's a good player, I just think he has no elite tools. He gets by on his hustle, thus the moniker.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
1 good year does not make a career. He's a good player, I just think he has no elite tools. He gets by on his hustle, thus the moniker.

One good year?! For goodness sake, he's 20 years old! Also, anyone who still doesn't think he has the elite tools is an idiot. 100% of MLB scouts would disagree with you. There's a reason he was a consensus #1 pick. Anything said that's only "above average" or "needs work" is because he's a 20 year old kid and will just get better. The last player that was this good at 20 was Ken Griffey Jr. who is one of the best hitters of all time. I really think Harper has a similar plate approach as Griffey, but with more speed, hustle, and more polished.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

Also, Rabbuk, you're a Cubs fan, so I can't take you seriously when it comes to baseball talk. There is not one hitter on that team who is half as talented as Harper. I never understood how Cubs fans talk so much smack about other players and teams and they haven't won anything in over 100 years and continually finish in the bottom third of the ML and have a roster full of nobodies.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Is there any way in hell Davis isn't juicing?
He has great timing when he hits those tators. No, he is just being Chris Davis.:twitcy:He has the stroke when he hits it. 110 KOs and 37 HRs.

Last edited:

bkassel

Oct 10, 2011
columbia, mo
www.youtube.com
scrappy mc-no-tools is just that. hustle (or as it has been called on here, hussel) means nothing. hustle is more about perception than anything measurable. defensive value is nice but not vital in the outfield. I don't think the average will stay. The power may stick but pitchers will adjust. I project him as the next Jeff Franceour.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Also, Rabbuk, you're a Cubs fan, so I can't take you seriously when it comes to baseball talk. There is not one hitter on that team who is half as talented as Harper. I never understood how Cubs fans talk so much smack about other players and teams and they haven't won anything in over 100 years and continually finish in the bottom third of the ML and have a roster full of nobodies.
Being a cubs fan has no bearing on my ability to judge talent. Harper will hit about 350 home runs in his career and hit maybe .280.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
scrappy mc-no-tools is just that. hustle (or as it has been called on here, hussel) means nothing. hustle is more about perception than anything measurable. defensive value is nice but not vital in the outfield. I don't think the average will stay. The power may stick but pitchers will adjust. I project him as the next Jeff Franceour.
I hate to see how you project Mike Trout.

bkassel

Oct 10, 2011
columbia, mo
www.youtube.com
trout > harper. i'm not an expert (sarcastic comments welcome). I just don't see harper as more than a guy who wants to hit dingers. that kind of free-swinging leads to trouble. and if i'm a nats fan, i'm concerned the hustle will lead to injuries that could cut short his career.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Being a cubs fan has no bearing on my ability to judge talent. Harper will hit about 350 home runs in his career and hit maybe .280.
Clearly it does affect your judgment. I'm guessing you also think the Cubs will have a big second half surge and that Darwin Barney, Nate Schierholtz, and Starlin Castro are all more talented than Bryce Harper? You probably think, along with 90% of other Cubs fans that Mark Prior and Kerry Wood would have been the best pitchers ever if it weren't for injuries. I just find it ridiculous that you and a few others are undermining Harper when every single team would drool over having Harper on their team. Scouts will draft talent over hustle every single day of the week. You can teach and encourage hustle. You can't teach talent. You're a flat out idiot and I've lost even more respect for Cubs fans.