Hilton (How can we make it even better?)

buchacho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Baltimore, MD
and here is the second:

[video=youtube;vfwi7nFxLn4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfwi7nFxLn4[/video]

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Because when you were a knight, you took off your helmet at the door to show respect and it was a sign that you come in peace, not ready for battle.

At least that's what my high school chemistry/physics teacher told me in 1994.

I have heard this too. Also why the right hand salute or over the heart, the right hand was used to lift the visor on the helmet; since most knights were right handed, seen as a sign of submission instead of a threat.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
from twocoach: I am fine with singing the Anthem loud and proud but I would be concerned about people getting carried away and becoming a distraction from the moment and what is intended for. There's always at least a few thousand idiots in a crowd of 15,000 people. That's all. By the way - not every sings at Jack Trice OR Hilton (although many of us do). However, hats are off, and people show respect. Are you projecting a foggy problem onto our fans?
Most people seem to think that KU is a pretty intimidating place to play and I have yet to here "because they sing the national anthem really loud" as one of the things that rattled the opposition. I was happy when Self put out a statement asking people to no longer add "the Chiefs" to the anthem at AFH. No problem at all with our anthem or any other part of the in-game festivities.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Oh for crying out loud. Are we debating this? Why don't we go ahead and talk about how it is against etiquette to clap after the Star Spangled Banner? Real ways to improve the atmosphere: Bring lights down and spot light player entrances, change from jock jams for the love of God. Not only is it from '95 it is cliche as ****. Bring back hit tapes. Introduce a visually effective and intimidating action in the student section. Maybe something like the student section moving upper torso in a circular motion (imitating that of a cyclone?)? It seems cheesy, but it would be cool to see visually. I am sure there are other ideas out there that would be really cool to see, it just takes someone to get the body organized.
Which was my point from the beginning; there are lots of modifications to make. Louder singing of the national anthem seems to be about 38th on the list of "Things that Make Basketball Arenas Intimidating Places to Play".

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'll never understand the deal about wearing a hat. Before I get ridiculed, yes I do that off my hat like I'm supposed to for the national anthem. I'm curious for the reasoning behind it. What started people doing it? What makes me taking off my hat a sign of respect?

If I ever wonder why some of these things matter, I just remember that it matters to that 90 year old veteran sitting near me or that 20 something veteran kid sitting across the way who came in on crutches. If it matters to the veterans then we damn well better do it out of respect for them.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Most people seem to think that KU is a pretty intimidating place to play and I have yet to here "because they sing the national anthem really loud" as one of the things that rattled the opposition. I was happy when Self put out a statement asking people to no longer add "the Chiefs" to the anthem at AFH. No problem at all with our anthem or any other part of the in-game festivities.

Not a response to my comment in the slightest.

from twocoach: I am fine with singing the Anthem loud and proud but I would be concerned about people getting carried away and becoming a distraction from the moment and what is intended for. There's always at least a few thousand idiots in a crowd of 15,000 people. That's all.

Really? So where are you finding these few thousand idiots that don't know how to be respectful of the National Anthem? I had to assume it was at foggy bottom, but maybe it's at your football stadium. Of course, you would need to actually have 15,000 fans in it to fit the equation, wouldn't you?

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Which was my point from the beginning; there are lots of modifications to make. Louder singing of the national anthem seems to be about 38th on the list of "Things that Make Basketball Arenas Intimidating Places to Play".

Yeah and this isn't directed solely at you. It is directed at the discussion in general. Could it be a neat thing to do? Absolutely. Star Spangled Banner being sung aloud by the entire arena would be very cool, but its effect as an intimidation technique would be strictly a by-product of the entire arena uniting in a song.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Not a response to my comment in the slightest. from twocoach: I am fine with singing the Anthem loud and proud but I would be concerned about people getting carried away and becoming a distraction from the moment and what is intended for. There's always at least a few thousand idiots in a crowd of 15,000 people. That's all. Really? So where are you finding these few thousand idiots that don't know how to be respectful of the National Anthem? I had to assume it was at foggy bottom, but maybe it's at your football stadium. Of course, you would need to actually have 15,000 fans in it to fit the equation, wouldn't you?
You're trying too hard.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

The OP did mention making Hilton more intimidating, but let's keep in mind that he also started the conversation with: "It got me thinking, how can we make the Hilton experience even better?" and the title of the thread is: "Hilton (How can we make it even better?)". Just because everyone singing our anthem wouldn't necessarily be intimidating doesn't mean that it doesn't belong in this thread.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Yeah and this isn't directed solely at you. It is directed at the discussion in general. Could it be a neat thing to do? Absolutely. Star Spangled Banner being sung aloud by the entire arena would be very cool, but its effect as an intimidation technique would be strictly a by-product of the entire arena uniting in a song.
Or just roll with all of the other good ideas about better video, lighting, sound systems, etc and let this whole stupid side conversation about the national anthem go. I am sorry I brought it up and I'm rarely sorry about anything I say. This is mind bogglingly stupid.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You're trying too hard.

Nah...not really making much of an effort. You put your foot in your mouth all by yourself, but you can't admit you misspoke.

Edit: our posts crossed. Apparently you can.

Edit again: Never mind. You just can't help yourself.

Last edited:

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Nah...not really making much of an effort. You put your foot in your mouth all by yourself, but you can't admit you misspoke.
I didn't misspeak, I just assumed you were talking about a problem with crowd behavior during the anthem. And I assumed that a person of your experience would be aware that, like it or not, there are a few thousand idiots in a crowd of 15,000 people at EVERY arena. At KU, at ISU. EVERY arena. It's simple math. There is no cross section of this country where you can gather up 15,000 people and not have a few thousand that will get carried away in a group if given the opportunity.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Or just roll with all of the other good ideas about better video, lighting, sound systems, etc and let this whole stupid side conversation about the national anthem go. I am sorry I brought it up and I'm rarely sorry about anything I say. This is mind bogglingly stupid.

I started writing a reply a while ago suggesting that you just say you didn't say what you meant and move on, Tuco. You try so hard to be right all the time that you find yourself doggedly defending positions that are ridiculous. Everyone makes mistakes posting, just admit it and move on. You have pointed out serious flaws in my reasoning before. I owned up to it and moved on. People will respect you more, rather than less, for it.

I didn't post it then because I figured it would do no good. I'm not sure why I am now.

Regardless, the fixation on the anthem has run its course. Let's do move on.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
1. End Jock Jams
2. No spirit fingers on end of court that we shoot into
3. There should be no gap in bleachers (behind the basket on one end)... Need full bleachers on both ends

How do you feel about ending the Star Spangled Banner with "home of the Chiefs" ISUCHIEF?

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
For my suggestion I think we should have a second mascot....CyWolf, which is a TeenWolf rip-off, that comes out and does trampoline dunks and jumps through fire hoops, repels from the rafters on to the court and immediately does a standing backflip, scares opposing fans when they go to the bathroom, etc... Cool stuff like that.

I'm with you as long as we can get Styles to run around during games hyping up the crowd and selling Cywolf merchandise. When I say Styles, I mean THE Styles and not some lame poser. I'd be surprised if that guys got much going these days so we could probably get him on the cheap. Now excuse me while I go watch Teen Wolf.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron