Hiking

Apr 22, 2023
Great suggestions on here.

I'd also recommend the Smokey Mountains NP. Great variety of hikes.
If you get so far as to Alaska, great hikes in the Girdwood area and on the Kenai peninsula near Seward.

I'm headed to Glacier NP and Southern Alaska this summer.

Also, did not see mentioned, but I live by the All Trails App. No matter where you are, you can find a ton of local trails and they are sortable by difficulty, length. You can get reviews and photos of the trail as well.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

If you get so far as to Alaska, great hikes in the Girdwood area and on the Kenai peninsula near Seward.

Also, did not see mentioned, but I live by the All Trails App. No matter where you are, you can find a ton of local trails and they are sortable by difficulty, length. You can get reviews and photos of the trail as well.

All Trails is amazing! At least in our area, even the smallest local parks have a good number of reviews. For fellow parents of kids in strollers - we use carriers too but my trick is to look for trails also friendly to horses and runners. If you have a jogging type stroller (think BOB, City Jogger - basically any type with all 3 all terrain wheels), you'll most likely be ok with a stroller as long as you don't mind it being a bit bumpy.

Reactions: AvonLakeCyclone

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Make sure you get a pass to drive up the road in Glacier, I think they're requiring that now since the parking lot at Logan's Pass gets too crowded.

I've been to Glacier Park many times, Yosemite, Yellowstone, RMNP, Smokey Mountains. Glacier Park was the most scenic. Yosemite and Yellowstone have more to do if you're making a week long trip out of it though.

Glacier Park hikes I'd recommend:

These are busy trails for a reason. They're pretty easy and have really good scenery:
Highline trail
Iceberg Lake,
Avalanche Lake
Hidden Lake

I've climbed to the top of Oberlin Peak and Reynold's Peak, both are at Logan's Pass. Both are incredible, and not that difficult. You could do Oberlin in 2-3 hours and Reynold's in probably 4-5. Climbing a peak gets you away from the crowds too, but the trail can be tough to find sometimes.

Reactions: AvonLakeCyclone

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I've spent the most time on various sections of the Superior Trail (runs from the Duluth area up to Canada). My favorite/most beautiful areas I've hiked are the north coast of Northern Ireland (Portrush area and Giant's Causeway), all around Lake Tahoe, and several trails in Zion National Park.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4theCYcle
Apr 22, 2023
Make sure you get a pass to drive up the road in Glacier, I think they're requiring that now since the parking lot at Logan's Pass gets too crowded.

I've been to Glacier Park many times, Yosemite, Yellowstone, RMNP, Smokey Mountains. Glacier Park was the most scenic. Yosemite and Yellowstone have more to do if you're making a week long trip out of it though.

These are busy trails for a reason. They're pretty easy and have really good scenery:
Highline trail
Iceberg Lake,
Avalanche Lake
Hidden Lake

I've climbed to the top of Oberlin Peak and Reynold's Peak, both are at Logan's Pass. Both are incredible, and not that difficult. You could do Oberlin in 2-3 hours and Reynold's in probably 4-5. Climbing a peak gets you away from the crowds too, but the trail can be tough to find sometimes.
Thanks for the hike suggestions at Glacier.

Yes, they do restrict Going to the Sun Road. We had to get our vehicle registrations 4 months in advance to travel this road. And they sold out of registrations for the month of July in 15 minutes.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
My favorite is Mt St Helens. 5 miles but that is the deceptive part of it. The hike is straight up: 4,500 elevation gain over 5 miles. It is classified as a Strenuous Hike / Easy Climb. It's one like no other I've ever been on. It is basically chunked into thirds. 1st phase is the nice pretty hike through the trees. 2nd is the boulder climb- no trail just climbing boulders that blew off the top during the eruption. Climb to one post marker, look for the next and start making your way there. The 3rd is by far the most difficult, the straight up "ash fall" of loose and powdery ash/rock/sand. 1 step up only to slide back 2. It's certainly work to get there, but man it was pretty. Best and most ironic part of it was, I finally make it to the top after 4 hours and there's only like 8 people up there. 5 of them were from Iowa wearing Iowa State shirts. It was their 2nd time, the parents brought their kids back now that they were bigger, older, and stronger.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I've done a lot of hiking/backpacking all over the Sierras. Yosemite/King's Canyon/Sequoia NP but also the eastern Sierras and Tahoe area that are equally beautiful in several places. Parts of the PCT/JMT and all of High Sierra Trail and up Mnt Whitney several times.

Outside of that area I can drive to pretty easily my other life highlights are:
- Teton Rim Trail, did this as 4 day backpacking loop but I'd recommend it as national park with widest total range of outdoor activities beyond just hiking, you can do virtually any outdoor thrill seeking imaginable
- Grand Canyon can be amazing for novice to very advanced if you plan it right, imho relaxing by Colorado River at the bottom is more beautiful than any tropical island. Has to be right time of year for sure.
- Mnt Rainier, didn't summit but it's a life goal, hiked to camp muir and back
- Zion Narrows top down, this way is a ton of logistics and permit hell but it's amazing because the top half you are nearly completely alone, really dangerous for knees/ankles. Bottom up is fun too but lots of crowds.
- Big Sur, just some random trails up and down the area. Camping/backpacking is the only way to go because the hotels/motels are laughably expensive.
I've heard angels landing looks pretty incredible but risky with hiking. Zion would be on my list of to-do's one day!

Reactions: mwitt

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
My favorite is Mt St Helens. 5 miles but that is the deceptive part of it. The hike is straight up: 4,500 elevation gain over 5 miles. It is classified as a Strenuous Hike / Easy Climb. It's one like no other I've ever been on. It is basically chunked into thirds. 1st phase is the nice pretty hike through the trees. 2nd is the boulder climb- no trail just climbing boulders that blew off the top during the eruption. Climb to one post marker, look for the next and start making your way there. The 3rd is by far the most difficult, the straight up "ash fall" of loose and powdery ash/rock/sand. 1 step up only to slide back 2. It's certainly work to get there, but man it was pretty. Best and most ironic part of it was, I finally make it to the top after 4 hours and there's only like 8 people up there. 5 of them were from Iowa wearing Iowa State shirts. It was their 2nd time, the parents brought their kids back now that they were bigger, older, and stronger.
Sounds awesome and small world and random for ISU people to be there. Oddly enough I swear you see ISU people everywhere. I was driving in Oslo, Norway and pulled up behind a car with a cy sticker on the back. I'm almost certain I saw an Iowa State shirt in Athens at the Acropolis too.

Reactions: NWICY

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I think I need to see some photos of these trails and/or the scenic views so it makes the thread more entertaining!

I was going to post some pics of my hikes, but CF apparently says these iphone photos are too large, which is odd. I didn't think they were that big.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've heard angels landing looks pretty incredible but risky with hiking. Zion would be on my list of to-do's one day!

Angel's Landing at Zion and Half Dome cable section at Yosemite have a lot in common. The view is insane and someone with a significant fear of heights shouldn't even consider it. If someone is in good shape with good shoes/boots and at least a little hiking experience, I'd say the biggest danger is actually sharing the limited confined space with other humans who might not be responsible/mature. Also, like any hike, pushing ahead in bad weather conditions is especially dangerous on these. Half Dome has a permit system but still good advice is to go as early as possible. Angel's Landing specifically get there as early as possible in the day to have a great experience with less people. Going as early as possible also helps with weather avoiding some heat on the climb and storms in both areas happen mid afternoon if they happen.

In general I'd say if someone just MUST go hiking in western National Parks mid summer that Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Teton/Yellowstone are going to be so much better than the Arizona/Utah parks. It's tough with kids school schedule but with the exception of a few very far north almost all are best experienced in the fall and spring (spring depends on when snow melts). I love Zion/Bryce/Moab and I've hiked through Grand Canyon multiple times but I can't imagine doing them mid summer.

Zion Narrows danger is different kind, it's like hiking on slick bowling balls in 6" to 3' of water. Doing the whole thing from top is amazing but really difficult. Just playing around from the bottom and seeing how far you want to go in at your own pace is amazing other than the crowds, the crowd does thin out if you can make it over a mile in from the bottom. Traditional hiking poles don't work, people generally rent a big wooden staff that works better, I haven't needed it on any other hikes so it was a good $10 for me.

Reactions: mwitt

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
Best hiking trip is either a spring or fall rafting and hiking trip of the Grand Canyon. Depending on the rafting company a spring or fall rafting and hiking trip may be 12 to 14 days. Most days will have two short hikes up various side canyons. But one or maybe two days will be an all day hike. After the rafting and hiking trip you will have an entirely different impression of the Grand Canyon. It won't be a 'giant canyon' anymore. You will know it has countless hidden gems to discover. And the great thing is that if you take a 2nd rafting hiking trip you could very well go on an entirely different set of hikes the second time that are just as spectacular.

Zion has some of the best day hikes. Rocky Mountain has great day hikes to Alpine lakes and a hidden gem of an area is the Wild Basin set of trailheads. Yosemite is really awesome hiking but very crowded especially any trail that starts from the valley and goes up.

Reactions: NWICY

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Angel's Landing at Zion and Half Dome cable section at Yosemite have a lot in common. The view is insane and someone with a significant fear of heights shouldn't even consider it. If someone is in good shape with good shoes/boots and at least a little hiking experience, I'd say the biggest danger is actually sharing the limited confined space with other humans who might not be responsible/mature. Also, like any hike, pushing ahead in bad weather conditions is especially dangerous on these. Half Dome has a permit system but still good advice is to go as early as possible. Angel's Landing specifically get there as early as possible in the day to have a great experience with less people. Going as early as possible also helps with weather avoiding some heat on the climb and storms in both areas happen mid afternoon if they happen.

In general I'd say if someone just MUST go hiking in western National Parks mid summer that Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Teton/Yellowstone are going to be so much better than the Arizona/Utah parks. It's tough with kids school schedule but with the exception of a few very far north almost all are best experienced in the fall and spring (spring depends on when snow melts). I love Zion/Bryce/Moab and I've hiked through Grand Canyon multiple times but I can't imagine doing them mid summer.

Zion Narrows danger is different kind, it's like hiking on slick bowling balls in 6" to 3' of water. Doing the whole thing from top is amazing but really difficult. Just playing around from the bottom and seeing how far you want to go in at your own pace is amazing other than the crowds, the crowd does thin out if you can make it over a mile in from the bottom. Traditional hiking poles don't work, people generally rent a big wooden staff that works better, I haven't needed it on any other hikes so it was a good $10 for me.
Zion: Angels Landing - We were the second bus in the morning (pre-permits) and it was packed. Much of the chain section is waiting on other people to move, but it was well worth it. Overall not a difficult hike, although the switch backs in the heat would be tiring if you're not in ok shape.

Zion: Narrows (bottom up) - Highly recommend renting boots and the wooded stick. It's crowded for a long while, but the best part is Wall Street, and not many go all the way there...big mistake! Highly recommend this unique hike.

Reactions: BACyclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Zion: Angels Landing - We were the second bus in the morning (pre-permits) and it was packed. Much of the chain section is waiting on other people to move, but it was well worth it. Overall not a difficult hike, although the switch backs in the heat would be tiring if you're not in ok shape.

Zion: Narrows (bottom up) - Highly recommend renting boots and the wooded stick. It's crowded for a long while, but the best part is Wall Street, and not many go all the way there...big mistake! Highly recommend this unique hike.

It's been a while for me now but my normal backpacking speed in the Sierras high altitude mountain terrain is 20-25 minute mile with a full 2-7 night pack. With a very light one night pack and going all downhill I think it might have been more like 1:15 per mile in zion narrows. When we started out the Indiana Jones theme started playing in my head and it just kept playing the full two days. The night we slept was the darkest darkness I've ever known, you can't see your hand an inch from your face in a deep canyon like that.

I almost went with water trail shoes designed to drain...would've been a MASSIVE mistake and probably ruin a pair of shoes on top of injuries. I use those backpacking when I have to cross a few streams up to my knees or waist, Narrows was totally different than that. At the last minute before our shuttle left to the top I got the canyoneering boots because I saw some hardcore local guy with his own. I think what happens is some people do it in Oct/Nov when the water is just a trickle and tell the whole internet "just wear water shoes" or "just wear trail shoes".

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Highline trail
Iceberg Lake,
Avalanche Lake
Hidden Lake

Can’t recommend Highline Trail enough. Just watch out for grizzlies. Took this 4 years ago.

343A91D8-FB84-49B9-9A0B-8D9E9AFDE2F9.jpeg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone hiked much in Breckenridge? Headed there in 6 weeks. Plan to do Quandry Peak but don’t have much else planned for hikes and need more.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

Not that risky, my 60 year old, overweight dad managed it. Only issue is if heights really bother you.

Though unless you can stay at the lodge I'd aim for a late afternoon hike as the mornings into early afternoon get very busy.

Edit: Didn't know about the recently implemented permit system. Went in 2019 so I figured not much had changed.

Last edited:

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
Reactions: isutrevman

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
Hanging Lake outside Glenwood Springs CO. My personal favorite for awhile. I've done a couple of others around the area and they are great too but Hanging Lake is hard to beat. Unfortunately it got overcrowded and now you've got to ride a bus to the trailhead.

Reactions: c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron