Hey old farts. What did they call Jack Trice in 1977? It certainly wasn't "Cyclone Stadium"!

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Donald Kaul, who had a liberal slant to his wickedly humorous column at the RAG, got wind of the student body effort to name it Jack Trice and their feeble chance going up against the stodgy conservative BOR. He took on the cause and worked his magic of exposing the university & political leadership as being woefully out of touch and convinced the public that Trice was the way to go. 99% of the public had no idea of Jack Trice or his story. Maybe 25 years later before Kaul’s death, he came back to Ames for recognition of his efforts leading the naming at half time of a game. Which may have been the only time he ever set foot on campus. I held season tickets at the opening of the stadium & witnessed the Air Force kick, losing to Pacific, Wyoming, Drake, UNI on and on. IMO, honoring Jack Trice was one of the greatest things ISU has ever done. I know a family that named their son Jackson Trice.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The stadium was new at that time. It was never named "new stadium." Their was a push at that time and if i remember correctly it was led mainly by students to name it Jack Trice. Others wanted it named to represent all cyclones. A compromise was reached to name it Cyclone Stadium and Jack Trice Field after a lot of talk (some might say protests, it was the 70's). The students continued to lobby for Jack Trice until the name was changed years later.
Long live the Jack!
Does anyone remember that the West Stands Lower Section was sliding down the hill and had to be reinforced?
A Carpenter I knew who worked on the Stadium Project told me that and it might have even been IN THE ..."LOCUST STREET LIAR"

• Informative
Reactions: Sparkplug and Cycsk

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I was standing on the sideline, trumpet in hand waiting for halftime when the Air Force guy kicked the field goal. Needless to say it was very windy that day.
Not only did the kid kick a RECORD BREAKING 63 YARD FIELD GOAL (with a very strong wind at his back...NOT a Side Winder Either Just a straight on kicker) ...He grew up in Iowa and played Guard for the Air Force...I think he wore number 64 but please don't hold me to it ....

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The stadium was new at that time. It was never named "new stadium." Their was a push at that time and if i remember correctly it was led mainly by students to name it Jack Trice. Others wanted it named to represent all cyclones. A compromise was reached to name it Cyclone Stadium and Jack Trice Field after a lot of talk (some might say protests, it was the 70's). The students continued to lobby for Jack Trice until the name was changed years later.
Long live the Jack!

That all happened but not right away.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
I was at that Air Force game as a ball boy and remember it so well was on th visiting side line and seeing the falcon fly over the stadium and land on the arm of the handler was really neat that game landed me one of the ball boys through the 77 season

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Not only did the kid kick a RECORD BREAKING 63 YARD FIELD GOAL (with a very strong wind at his back...NOT a Side Winder Either Just a straight on kicker) ...He grew up in Iowa and played Guard for the Air Force...I think he wore number 64 but please don't hold me to it ....
The ironic thing is that his record lasted only hours. Later that same day somebody kicked one a yard farther.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
"New Stadium" = Easy out for the writer who didn't want to introduce commentary or controversey into their article.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We had an old box of negatives digitized last year. Found some photos from the construction. Hope this shows up OK, because I had to reduce the size in order to upload. If this works, I have a couple of others.

Please post more. The first one was fascinating.