Hey old farts. What did they call Jack Trice in 1977? It certainly wasn't "Cyclone Stadium"!

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
You cannot handle the truth, this conspiracy goes back ages......EIU has been trying to steal the best from ISU for over a century...to when UofI tried to have all female students transferred from ISU to UofI.

I don't recall the details, but that is a real thing, to some extent. There was a Cyclones.TV documentary about it. Some movement that the state legislature (or some governing body) wanted to force all the female students to not go to ISU because it was an agricultural school and women ain't got no business going into agriculture or some such line of thought ... this was like the very early 1900's.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
What's next, you're gonna tell me it hasn't always been University BLVD??!?!?!?!

p.s. via la Elwood Drive!

A part of me dies every time I have to tell someone to get off at University. Ugh.

Reese Witherspoon is rolling in her grave over the name change.

• Creative
Reactions: C.John

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
More damning evidence has been released for us calling it New Stadium! Start at 6:36 ish if the link didn’t work properly.

Video Showcase for ISU circa 1975

virgin-40year-old-virgin.gif

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
The vernacular at the time I attended was No Name Stadium. As a student I was very much behind the Jack Trice option, but we were up against dollars and donors. Had to wait for enough of them to pass on before the idea was able to take hold again.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There was no official* name until the 1984 season, when it became Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field. Before that, "Iowa State Stadium" and "ISU Stadium" were the common references.

*The folks in charge tabled the agenda of naming the stadium until it was paid off, which didn't happen until 1983. The Regents approved the name in Dec. 1983, to take effect in 1984.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron