Here we go again... KXNO can't talk about

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Iowa doesn't officially claim this because it's nonsense. Oklahoma was the overwhelming National Champion in every poll that could possibly be construed as being credible.

Yeah, IOWA doesn't officially claim it - but has that ever stopped its fans? :spinny:

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
KXNO is a JOKE at best since Deace and Miller left. I like sports talk radio, but no longer to KXNO; same for 1700 with Marty.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
He does spend a lot of time propping up the Hawks.

I have a degree from both schools. Loved my time in IC and loved my time in Ames. Grew up an ISU fan and have always considered myself an ISU fan much more than an Iowa fan. Just don't 'hate' the Hawks like the majority of people on this board. I am by no means saying that Iowa is a "National" program, but anyone saying that they are no more "National" than ISU is freaking out of their mind. I'm just saying Iowa/Nebraska will be a bigger rivalry than ISU/Neb. If you don't believe that, it is on you. I think that the Big 10 Network/ESPN/ABC are pretty much saying they are going to start it as a rivalry though. Hence the Friday after Thanksgiving date.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
The NU fans I hear on Omaha radio talking about this are really looking forward to playing Iowa so they can put Hawk fans in their place. They expect to dominate Iowa, and really, the rest of the Big 10, from day one. Most of them are already looking forward to going into the 'Shoe this fall and sticking it to Ohio State.

I think Husker fans view Iowa the same way they view Mizzou - a "rival" that needs to be crushed so they can get to the real rivalries with Oklahoma and Texas (now OSU/PSU/Mich).

I have heard the same thing from Husker fans, they are hungry to get a shot at tOSU. I dislike Nebraska and would love nothing more than to see the Buckeyes dominate them much the way OU and texas has done recently.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I have a degree from both schools. Loved my time in IC and loved my time in Ames. Grew up an ISU fan and have always considered myself an ISU fan much more than an Iowa fan. Just don't 'hate' the Hawks like the majority of people on this board. I am by no means saying that Iowa is a "National" program, but anyone saying that they are no more "National" than ISU is freaking out of their mind. I'm just saying Iowa/Nebraska will be a bigger rivalry than ISU/Neb. If you don't believe that, it is on you. I think that the Big 10 Network/ESPN/ABC are pretty much saying they are going to start it as a rivalry though. Hence the Friday after Thanksgiving date.

The networks can put it on New Years Day if they want, doesn't make it a rivalry. Like I posted earlier go back and show me the scores of UI/UNL since 1977. There is no rivalry here. Nebraska fans don't consider Iowa a rival and they'll have no reason to. Hovering at the bottom of the upper echelon of the Big Ten is not acceptable in Lincoln.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
This might become a nasty rivalry over the internet, but real rivalries are found in neighborhoods, schools, offices, bars, etc. There just aren't enough Nebraska fans in central or eastern Iowa to really make this anything more than a message board rivalry. The majority of fans love the Iowa-ISU game because it is a time when everyone they know can get together, give each other crap, and watch the two biggest schools in the state go at it. Sure, Nebraska and Iowa fans will bring lots of fans to games at both sites, but there will be a lack of everyday contact that would be required to overtake the Iowa-ISU rivalry in this state.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
The networks can put it on New Years Day if they want, doesn't make it a rivalry. Like I posted earlier go back and show me the scores of UI/UNL since 1977. There is no rivalry here. Nebraska fans don't consider Iowa a rival and they'll have no reason to. Hovering at the bottom of the upper echelon of the Big Ten is not acceptable in Lincoln.

I get your point. Nebraska will consider Iowa a rival if Iowa goes to Lincoln in November and hands them a loss. When have they considered us a rival? I know of no Husker fan that has claimed ISU as a rival. And, No, Nebraska will not consider Iowa a rival if they go 5-0 against the Hawks right out of the gate.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

Nebraska never considered Colorado its rival, even though they played on the Friday after Thanksgiving and even though Colorado really, really, really wanted it to be so. It just wasn't.

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010

I've had my good times in Iowa City to and I think the rivalry with nebraska will be exciting for both schools. This is more about KXNO's portrayal of ISU and how they continue to advocate for Iowa, to squeeze every last fan and dollar out of central iowa. Since the formation of the Big 10 network, the intensity of this has only increased in an effort to attract sponsors for the network IMO.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I sure hope they don't kill Black Friday retail sales, televising this epic tilt.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

So it's safe to say you're a dual fan? (and with good reason)

I totally agree that Iowa/Neb will be bigger than ISU/Neb, which really wasn't anything until the past ~7 years. I don't think it will be a national rivalry nor will it take anything away from ISU/Iowa.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Nebraska never considered Colorado its rival, even though they played on the Friday after Thanksgiving and even though Colorado really, really, really wanted it to be so. It just wasn't.

Exactly. This game was always on ABC. Exact same scenairo. Colorado even won National Championships in that time period and Nebraska never gave them rival status. They won't do so for Iowa either.

And Colorado fans were rabid over the Nebraska game in order to deflect attention from their game with CSU.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
So it's safe to say you're a dual fan? (and with good reason)

I totally agree that Iowa/Neb will be bigger than ISU/Neb, which really wasn't anything until the past ~7 years. I don't think it will be a national rivalry nor will it take anything away from ISU/Iowa.

Dual Fan, possibly. My wife would say differently as ISU gets donation money and U of I not so much. However, my education at Iowa cost more than ISU, so that is how i justify giving to ISU and not to Iowa. :smile:
I pull for the Hawks when they are playing anyone but ISU.

You are correct when you say that IA/NEB will not be a National Rivalry. National Rivals would be OSU/Michigan, OU/Tex, Auburn/Bama, ND/USC. Neb/IA are not there and will not get to that level in my mind. I also can possibly see where it will not take anything away from ISU/IA. Having been on different sides of the rivalry, I can say that the week of ISU/IA in Iowa City is every bit as exciting and intense as it is in Ames.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I get your point. Nebraska will consider Iowa a rival if Iowa goes to Lincoln in November and hands them a loss. When have they considered us a rival? I know of no Husker fan that has claimed ISU as a rival. And, No, Nebraska will not consider Iowa a rival if they go 5-0 against the Hawks right out of the gate.

Never said Iowa State / Nebraska was a rivalry. You and every other hawk fan are talking about a Iowa / Nebraska rivalry. There isn't one.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I guess that I don't get why it HAS to take something away from the ISU/iowa game. They are on opposite ends of the season.