Herbstreet loves Hawkeyes

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I think you are under-estimating. The guy's name doesn't come up every offseason for coaching vacancies for no reason

I believe his name comes up because he likes to throw it in the hopper! If he is so damn well respected then why no offers to take over a better program or a pro team? A few years ago you were right...he was well respected coming off three 10 win seasons in a row...but not anymore.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Sorry to be a little off topic, but I just have to comment on the great quote that CyGal has on her messages:

DS Andy Wainwright: You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
DS Andy Cartwright: Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Nicholas Angel: Like who?
DS Andy Wainwright: Farmers.
Nicholas Angel: Who else?
DS Andy Cartwright: Farmers' mums.

HOT FUZZ is an AWESOME flick. Good choice. Although, I do have to say I like Shawn of the Dead better.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
YEAH BOYS....Play in the little 11 and win 7 games against lousy level competition and then its off to the new years day bowl!!!

What a crock my friends....The Little 11 I mean!!!!!:biglaugh:

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Small town is more like a Harlan.

If you have a town with a college of 20-30k it is hard to get too small: lots of bars, lots of pizza joints, parks, big police department, and traffic control devices.

If you're from Iowa, maybe. If you are comming from the coasts or the south, IC and Ames both have a small town feel.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
In a few years Iowa will have to play tOSU and Michigan. AND Michigan will be running a spread which befuddles Kirk and staff. They only beat Illinois because they were Zooked. I actually watched tah one.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I believe his name comes up because he likes to throw it in the hopper! If he is so damn well respected then why no offers to take over a better program or a pro team? A few years ago you were right...he was well respected coming off three 10 win seasons in a row...but not anymore.

Listen I am as far from a Hawk fan as there has ever been and I am not a Kirk fan either. But a coaches name doesn't come out every of season for the past 6 seasons w/out him being well respected by his peers. Kirk doesn't call up Jacksonville Jags and say "throw my name in the mix, so I can get another one mil this year!" He is happy to receive the added money but he gets mentioned b/c people respect him as a coach and think he is a very good coach

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Listen I am as far from a Hawk fan as there has ever been and I am not a Kirk fan either. But a coaches name doesn't come out every of season for the past 6 seasons w/out him being well respected by his peers. Kirk doesn't call up Jacksonville Jags and say "throw my name in the mix, so I can get another one mil this year!" He is happy to receive the added money but he gets mentioned b/c people respect him as a coach and think he is a very good coach

Based upon your comments you are rather naive relative to how these things happen...peer respect has almost nothing to do with a coach having his name "in the mix" for job openings.

The reality is that Kirk is not personally "throwing his name in the hopper"...his agent is doing it on his behalf. Frankly, most of the names you hear frequently (Saban, Petrino, Tuberville, Ferentz, etc.) in these coaching searches are represented by very agressive agents that are masterful at getting their clients' names inserted into these search processes (through contact with the press and throught contact with the school/team both) while their client (the coach) claims he has had no contact with school "x" or team "y" (which is only technically true because his agent is out their dropping his name as much as he can).

The funny thing is that these agents are running circles around many of the ADs out there because the ADs are just not familiar with how to negotiate with an agent. Many of these big coaching contracts are absolutely stacked in the coaches favor (Ferentz is a great example as is Saban).

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
Based upon your comments you are rather naive relative to how these things happen...peer respect has almost nothing to do with a coach having his name "in the mix" for job openings.

The reality is that Kirk is not personally "throwing his name in the hopper"...his agent is doing it on his behalf. Frankly, most of the names you hear frequently (Saban, Petrino, Tuberville, Ferentz, etc.) in these coaching searches are represented by very agressive agents that are masterful at getting their clients' names inserted into these search processes (through contact with the press and throught contact with the school/team both) while their client (the coach) claims he has had no contact with school "x" or team "y" (which is only technically true because his agent is out their dropping his name as much as he can).

The funny thing is that these agents are running circles around many of the ADs out there because the ADs are just not familiar with how to negotiate with an agent. Many of these big coaching contracts are absolutely stacked in the coaches favor (Ferentz is a great example as is Saban).

I would have to say you are a little naive to think the only reason KF's name gets thrown into "the mix" is because of his agent. KF is a well respected coach amongst his peers. KF was Loyd Carr's choice to take the MU job and I am guessing when the Penn State job opens up he will be mentioned as a candidate there as well. AD's always have a shortlist of coaches filed away in case they have to fire a coach or the coach leaves for another job. Every coach you mentioned is a 'proven' coach and their resume's speak for themselves. Your crazy saying AD's do not know how to deal with agents, It is their business to know how to talk to an agent, plus most universities will hire a headhunting firm to seek out a candidate. Contracts are not set up in the coaches favor...they are set up in the schools favor to make sure the school gets compensated if the caoch leaves. This is called a "buy out clause." Some coaches get killed because of a high buy out clause. I am betting MU is having to pay WVU a few million for the buy out alone...

GoHawks95

Dec 17, 2007
NWIowa
Well, at least somebody likes us! Not too many did at the end of the year. I don't know if Herbie is right, but we need to fix a lot of things to get there. I'd like to see it, but it will take a while

acody

Nov 25, 2006
I did not understand the point of the article. What did anyone expect Herbstreet to say? "Oh, I think they will continue to regress and prove they have a coach that makes too much money." Herbstreet is a very popular TV analyst and is certainly not going to alienate any team or coach.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Penn St. already knows who their next coach is and he is already on their staff.

To think that Kirkie is so respected and sought after now as he was three seasons ago is not being realistic. Every .500 season that continues he to have will make him more of an overpaid flash in the pan. He will eventually go the way of one Stevie Alford.

Herbie is a big11 promoter that kisses the right spots.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I would have to say you are a little naive to think the only reason KF's name gets thrown into "the mix" is because of his agent. KF is a well respected coach amongst his peers. KF was Loyd Carr's choice to take the MU job and I am guessing when the Penn State job opens up he will be mentioned as a candidate there as well. AD's always have a shortlist of coaches filed away in case they have to fire a coach or the coach leaves for another job. Every coach you mentioned is a 'proven' coach and their resume's speak for themselves. Your crazy saying AD's do not know how to deal with agents, It is their business to know how to talk to an agent, plus most universities will hire a headhunting firm to seek out a candidate. Contracts are not set up in the coaches favor...they are set up in the schools favor to make sure the school gets compensated if the caoch leaves. This is called a "buy out clause." Some coaches get killed because of a high buy out clause. I am betting MU is having to pay WVU a few million for the buy out alone...

The advent of these coaches having an agent is a relatively new thing and most ADs do not really know how to handle a negotiation with an agent because they haven't typically done it in the past.

Headhunting firms do not negotiate contracts for the schools...they just find a list of candidates. If you think these agents aren't in contact with the headhunting firms you are just ignorant of the facts.

If the contracts were set up in favor of the schools then you would see far less coaching turnover and far less inflation in the going rate of what the salaries of coaches are. The reality is that these buyouts have not been any deterrant to coaches changing jobs because they are a pittance relative to the budgets of the schools and the value of the coaches contracts.

A great example is Alabama...Saban is guaranteed $4 million per year for 8 years and has no buyout clause. I believe Miles' buyout with LSU is $1.25 million which is "chump change" for any big FB school to pay out to get him on board (the dirty little secret is that the coaches leaving typically don't foot this bill...their new employer does in one way or another...they are not getting "killed" as you say). That buyout would almost certainly go directly from LSU to the new coach they would have to hire due to the rapid escalation of salaries. Rodriguez apparently had a $4 million buyout with WVA if he left prior to 8/08...that is one of the larger buyouts I've heard of but it really kept him in Morgantown didn't it?! WVA will get the $4 million but now they have to find a head coach and he will likely cost more than Rodriguez did due to salary inflation.

The ADs at these schools better become a little more savvy with respect to these contract negotiations or it won't be long until the agents for the coaches drive the salaries up close to NFL money.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Penn St. already knows who their next coach is and he is already on their staff.

To think that Kirkie is so respected and sought after now as he was three seasons ago is not being realistic. Every .500 season that continues he to have will make him more of an overpaid flash in the pan. He will eventually go the way of one Stevie Alford.

Herbie is a big11 promoter that kisses the right spots.

I wouldn't place money on that - the new coach being on Penn St's staff already.

The most popular theory is the reason why Schiano at Rutgers hasn't jumped at someone else's offer yet is because the Penn St job belongs to him the moment JoePa retires, especially since Schiano is a Penn St guy and with everything he's done to turn the most pathetic DI school around.

Help Support Us

Become a patron