Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you are lifting hard, I wouldn’t aim at a weight too much. You good go sideways on the scale but be much healthier with increased muscle mass.
Yeah, it's not the only thing I'm watching, I'm tracking my strength gains as well to make sure I'm not losing muscle as I go. I'm going to keep in a slight caloric deficit until I can get rid of some more fat while not getting weaker, I'm just estimating that the point where I'll switch to maintenance or slightly above maintenance calories will be around 200 lbs.

I'm 6'2" so I don't necessarily look fat even at 211lbs, especially with clothes on, but I have a layer of fat on my midsection mostly that I want to decrease.

Reactions: BCClone

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I have thrown my scale away.
For me, I cared more about trying to get that number down than actually living a healthy lifestyle. I realized if I just focus on eatin cleaner and eating until I'm not hungry, I stay in a good weight range.

One of the best tips is that everyone has to find the scale approach that works best for them. I know people who can (and do) weigh daily and it works to keep them accountable and they don’t overreact. Weekly, biweekly, monthly are other approaches I’m aware of. And then the no scale approach that you are doing.

Reactions: khardbored

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have thrown my scale away.
For me, I cared more about trying to get that number down than actually living a healthy lifestyle. I realized if I just focus on eatin cleaner and eating until I'm not hungry, I stay in a good weight range.
I like it as a reminder what I eat daily matters. I never used to weigh myself except when I went to the doctor in the past because I agree if you are healthy and eat well then it shouldn't matter but I was just not having good results and never continually keeping weight off without some sort of accountability.

More than anything I like it to show me how much muscle mass I'm losing as I lose weight. I'm only 5'10 but fat free I'm 185 lb, so my body is really dense and it made me feel good to know that my original goal of 190 was completely unrealistic if I wanted to keep my muscle.

Some new tactics that I'm using that seem to be helping are being active outside of when I work out. Even if I work out 6 days a week for an hour that's only 6 hours so any bit of extra you can do such as going for a long walk, taking the stairs, cleaning the house vigorously, etc. will help you get into that calorie deficit on a consistent basis.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
One of the best tips is that everyone has to find the scale approach that works best for them. I know people who can (and do) weigh daily and it works to keep them accountable and they don’t overreact. Weekly, biweekly, monthly are other approaches I’m aware of. And then the no scale approach that you are doing.

I balloon without the scale as a guardrail. Trying to limit getting on there twice a day, but it's a key tool for me

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yeah, it's not the only thing I'm watching, I'm tracking my strength gains as well to make sure I'm not losing muscle as I go. I'm going to keep in a slight caloric deficit until I can get rid of some more fat while not getting weaker, I'm just estimating that the point where I'll switch to maintenance or slightly above maintenance calories will be around 200 lbs.

I'm 6'2" so I don't necessarily look fat even at 211lbs, especially with clothes on, but I have a layer of fat on my midsection mostly that I want to decrease.
From my body impedance I am in a similar situation as you. I don't really look fat but I definitely have that layer around my midsection. I'm finding though that the visceral fat which is typically around your waist and in between your organs is hard to see if you have a little bit of extra on top. Typically you lose the subcutaneous fat before the visceral. If I didn't have all that visceral fat my BMI would be about 13.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I've been really lazy since the time change. I'm still getting plenty of steps in on a daily basis. Now I need to force myself to start working out again.

Reactions: dirtyninety

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
How many of your have increased the intensity of your arm workouts after seeing TJ's guns courtside every game? :D
bell-ringer-jack-off-o.gif

Reactions: 2ndCyCE

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
So, I knew COVID and some of the past year (a lot of loss and difficulties in my circle of community) had me putting on some lbs. But a few months back I went to have a health screening, bio, cholesterol etc.

I stepped on, and she started it at 150, and I laughed, "ha, you'll need to slide it a bit more for that". 180, nothing. Excepted. 200, nothing. Expected (this is generally where we'd start using the smaller weight to dial in)

220, nothing. Um, ok, we did start eating fast food 4-5 times a week when things got hard with your friend. And then you did start...

240, nothing. Wait, no. Huh?

I was able to put on an easy 40 in less than 6 months/year. Depression, started some medication, and walking through multiple instances of tragic grief and starting a bad habit of smoking for a few months.

I'm now coming to terms with the shift in mental habits that I formed during that time.

Saw the interview w/ Georges talking about his journey. It was really encouraging.

Little girl on the way in two weeks. I want/need to be healthy for her and my boys.

Peace to you on your journey.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So, I knew COVID and some of the past year (a lot of loss and difficulties in my circle of community) had me putting on some lbs. But a few months back I went to have a health screening, bio, cholesterol etc.

I stepped on, and she started it at 150, and I laughed, "ha, you'll need to slide it a bit more for that". 180, nothing. Excepted. 200, nothing. Expected (this is generally where we'd start using the smaller weight to dial in)

220, nothing. Um, ok, we did start eating fast food 4-5 times a week when things got hard with your friend. And then you did start...

240, nothing. Wait, no. Huh?

I was able to put on an easy 40 in less than 6 months/year. Depression, started some medication, and walking through multiple instances of tragic grief and starting a bad habit of smoking for a few months.

I'm now coming to terms with the shift in mental habits that I formed during that time.

Saw the interview w/ Georges talking about his journey. It was really encouraging.

Little girl on the way in two weeks. I want/need to be healthy for her and my boys.

Peace to you on your journey.
Small changes add up to large effects. You've already done the hard part which is convincing yourself and your ego that your habits are the problem. Come up with something consistent and stick with it and you will find results.

This thread is long but it's a really good resource if you read through it I'm sure you'll find a great plan to help with your journey.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I’m down 20 lbs since last May. I know it’s not much, but I’m happy with it. Definitely having less stress has helped a lot, but also better eating habits.

Now, just to get the dog to buy in to her diet…..
Don't shortchange yourself - that is an awesome accomplishment and should be celebrated! So, congrats!!

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ and Cydar

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Checking in. I've been pushing myself, getting good results but my body just refuses to stay below 220. I'm at 218 today. Down 20 lbs from about a year ago but the number isn't really accurate to my gains. I've probably lost 30 lbs of fat and gained 10 lbs of muscle.

My pain is almost entirely gone, partly due to the weight loss but more so due to being physically active and stretching. 37 years old and I'm about 10-15 lbs away from being in the best shape of my life. We can do this together.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I’m down 20 lbs since last May. I know it’s not much, but I’m happy with it. Definitely having less stress has helped a lot, but also better eating habits.

Now, just to get the dog to buy in to her diet…..

Make any other changes that resulted in less stress?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Down about 5 pounds from this post 4 weeks ago, right around a pound a week like I'm shooting for, but still getting stronger I feel like.

My wife and I paid for an app called Fitbod to create workouts based on the equipment we have and track them, I committed to lifting 4 times a week and I've stuck to it for 9 weeks now. Buying weight lifting equipment for home has been a good investment, there's literally no way I'd be going all the way to the gym in the cold.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just did my annual physical and my total cholesterol is down 29 points, my LDL (bad cholesterol) down 23 points and HDL (good cholesterols) up 1 point.

Still a little above the range in triglycerides 162 (150 on the high end of normal) but dropped it 34 points. VLDL (type of bad cholesterol that builds up on your artery wall) dropped 6.4 points which is down to 32.4 level normal range is 2-30.

The PSA results is probably what scares me the most since the level is a good indication if you are at risk for prostate cancer. I’m <1 but it worries since I’ve seen a lot of people have this in the last 10 or so years.

Last edited: