Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Yeah. Nothing like being one of the thundering horses while running a marathon (Granted I was only 225 when I ran mine).

As far as nutrition and all that stuff, when I was running and working out (before I moved to TX and got fat again), all I really tracked was calories and trying to eat healthier. I did track macros, but that was more informative than goal based.

I think a lot of people jump way to far in at the start, get confused, don't see instant (or even quick) results, get discouraged, and then go back to the way they were.

The thing that I'm struggling with right now is getting back into it, knowing the work and time it's going to take. I had gotten down to 210-215 while in NY, but once I moved from there in 2018, it's been a steady spiral down the drain.
Another big mistake is going too hard to fast, either with diet or exercise or both. It's really ******* hard to make a small change, be consistent for a few weeks, reassess and repeat. It's totally counter to our brain's built-in reward seeking.

Jeembo

May 25, 2023
Another big mistake is going too hard to fast, either with diet or exercise or both. It's really ******* hard to make a small change, be consistent for a few weeks, reassess and repeat. It's totally counter to our brain's built-in reward seeking.
People want everything and quick(ain't gonna be that way ever). I partly blame media with all of those "miracle 3 months transformations". My man, it takes YEARS to be in proper shape and a whole load of work, ain't no miracles around here. Also, I'm going to be partaking in a few events by local running store Run United(https://rununited.com/) and might even do a half marathon this year. I went from losing my breath after 3 flights of stairs to this, but it took almost 5 years!

Last edited:

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Here's a little inspiration from Martinus Evans, a 300lb+ marathon runner. Taking his advice to name your inner critic (that voice in your head that tells you you can't do something). His is named "Otis". I asked mine and he said, "Call me Ishmael".

I ran my marathon at 33 and was 275. Not sure how this guy's back, hips, and knees will be a few years down the road. Maybe he's built different. My motto is, listen to your body just don't let it boss you around.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
been using this pop corn for my nightly sweet treat. works well
ed01f320-8149-4678-820c-9ab532ff7a7a.d755a8ae53c78bab6108d6d187c05aea.jpeg

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Reactions: MattforState

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Ran across two articles this morning on ultra-processed food, maybe should call it "feed" and not food.

And one on a new book on it all.

Turns out if you eat more calories you gain more weight.

• Wow
Reactions: Tailg8er

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Curious if anyone following this thread has read "Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity" by Peter Attia and if so, what you think of it. It's been at or near the top of the best seller lists since it came out in March.

Somehow, despite ramping up my consumption of health-related media content in the past year or so, I'd never heard of this guy until a chance mention on a podcast. That led me to check out his podcast, which led me to his book.

I found it both enormously useful and in many ways unattainable for everyday people. But I'll stop there for now.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Curious if anyone following this thread has read "Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity" by Peter Attia and if so, what you think of it. It's been at or near the top of the best seller lists since it came out in March.

Somehow, despite ramping up my consumption of health-related media content in the past year or so, I'd never heard of this guy until a chance mention on a podcast. That led me to check out his podcast, which led me to his book.

I found it both enormously useful and in many ways unattainable for everyday people. But I'll stop there for now.
I listen to his podcast occasionally. He's obviously extremely smart and knows his ****. He can also get pretty technical and like you said some of his stuff just seems pretty difficult for the average person to fit into their life. Honestly what he's talking about is beyond what most people should be worried about. If you don't already have good eating and workout habits and you start listening to some of his advice you're kind of stepping 20 steps ahead before building a good foundation. And with the complexity of it you're probably going to get frustrated and give up.

He also comes across as a little uppity in his podcast. Maybe he's different in real life but I feel like I wouldn't enjoy hanging out with him. Not that that has anything to do with how good of info he gives. Just my impression lol.

Reactions: madguy30

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

That part can be frustrating. Avoiding the ultra-processed stuff is hard even if you eliminate the bad snack foods, crap in a box cereals and frozen meal ****. Had a hardboiled egg, banana, peanut butter, butter, black coffee and a couple pieces of raisin bread toast this morning. Okay, the egg passes. My peanut butter has two ingredients, peanuts and salt, pass. (BTW, not that easy to find peanut butter that isn't sugar butter with peanuts added.) Banana is a banana, maybe too much starch but not a lot "added", pass. Down to the bread which has too much sugar and too much processing and ingredients, so sort of a push and grade "C". Really hard to find healthy bread, even the ones marketed as such are just mostly thinner sliced versions of the regular fare with 20 ingredients.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
A friend of mine started a beginner yoga class in town that was a walk in class with a very minor fee of $2 to help pay for renting the room. Started with women of all ages, but the improvement in flexibility for older women was so noticeable that a lot of older men started showing up too.

Hey, whatever motivates us to take care of ourselves! :)

Reactions: carvers4math

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Turns out if you eat more calories you gain more weight.
True, but if you read the article you'd see where it also indicated that people:
  1. Tended to consume more calories per minute when eating ultra-processed food,
  2. Were less sated after eating ultra-processed food, and
  3. Absorbed more calories from a given volume of food.
So while calories-in/calories-out is true, it's also an oversimplification.

• Agree
Reactions: 2122 and cowgirl836

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Didn't lose much weight (3-5 lbs), but did reduce my total cholesterol from 246 to 211. Happy about that more than the weight loss.

Mind if I ask the time frame?

Lowering those kinds of levels is a great victory in itself.

Cybrid

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 28, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Mind if I ask the time frame?

Lowering those kinds of levels is a great victory in itself.

A little more than 6 months. No medication. I'm 34 going on 35 so age is still with me, but I reduced eating fried foods, and cut out red meat almost completely (indulge every few weeks). Only eat egg whites when cooked eggs are on the menu. Don't smoke, and very rarely drink (less than once a month). Do a little walking, 3x a week, but no gym.

I basically cut out egg yolk, and severely reduced my red meat intake, and moderately reduced my fried food intake.

Oh and a lot of metamucial.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
True, but if you read the article you'd see where it also indicated that people:
  1. Tended to consume more calories per minute when eating ultra-processed food,
  2. Were less sated after eating ultra-processed food, and
  3. Absorbed more calories from a given volume of food.
So while calories-in/calories-out is true, it's also an oversimplification.

I don't think it's oversimplifying it. It's thermodynamics 101. Eat whatever a person wants, processed or not, and count calories by measurement (weight or volume). If a person does that and gets a resting metabolic rate (RMR) they will in the process understand what they should and should not eat

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron