Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
It comes off harder then it goes on. It would be a good idea to go see a doctor.
Some diets or ways to loose weight can be bad news. Do you have a family history of heart problems? You may need prescriptions to help control your blood pressure. Hope things work out for you.

• Agree
Reactions: RLD4ISU

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I am 6'tall and weigh too much(259). and walk 2 miles a day 4times a week. It just doesn't seem to come off.
As the old adage goes, "Lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym".

Not saying this applies to your particular situation, but one cannot possibly hope to exercise their way out of a bad diet. I found nutrition was key for me to maintain a desired weight.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am 6'tall and weigh too much(259). and walk 2 miles a day 4times a week. It just doesn't seem to come off.
I have some neighbors in their 60’s who are free daycare for their two year old granddaughter. They were trying to take off weight walking her and the dog. I had read somewhere that 16/8 intermittent fasting was a good way to jump start a weight loss program for some older folks and suggested that. She lost 10 pounds and he did 15 over the first month. That was enough to give them a bit more energy to increase their walking and do some light weight work. They find it sustainable as well, were worried about having enough energy for the granddaughter.

Reactions: NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As the old adage goes, "Lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym".

Not saying this applies to your particular situation, but one cannot possibly hope to exercise their way out of a bad diet. I found nutrition was key for me to maintain a desired weight.

The walking is still good for you though.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
Walking.

I grabbed a job (not a career) at a local grocer that pays medium wage. My fitness band says I am walking 3-6 miles a day.

I've lost 12 pounds in two months. I ache a bit but I'm fine. I'm a large human being (260+). I'm eating fruit and pizza. I have not changed my diet much.

What really compels me is to just keep moving. I have a heating pad at home.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I found the trick, get Influenza A for 2 weeks over Christmas and lose almost 10 pounds, easy peasy. Downside is a general feeling of wanting to die every day.

Follow with a chaser of norovirus 10 days later. Extremely effective, methods sus.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Who you kissing :eek:
Good question. The urgent care I went to in a town of 30,000 area said I’m the oldest person to ever test positive for it there. So I guess I got that going for me.

Honestly, the only thing I could think of from the week before was drinking water from a glass at this restaurant and getting it that way. I 100% use straws now.

• Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Good question. The urgent care I went to in a town of 30,000 area said I’m the oldest person to ever test positive for it there. So I guess I got that going for me.

Honestly, the only thing I could think of from the week before was drinking water from a glass at this restaurant and getting it that way. I 100% use straws now.
I have a reusable straw in my purse for these situations.

One of my kids tested positive for mono when he was six. You two have both ends of the spectrum covered.

Reactions: BCClone

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Walking.

I grabbed a job (not a career) at a local grocer that pays medium wage. My fitness band says I am walking 3-6 miles a day.

I've lost 12 pounds in two months. I ache a bit but I'm fine. I'm a large human being (260+). I'm eating fruit and pizza. I have not changed my diet much.

What really compels me is to just keep moving. I have a heating pad at home.

Unfortunately I went the other way - got a promotion to a less active desk job and moved out of Manhattan (no car walking everywhere) to the suburbs (driving everywhere). Don’t know exactly how much I gained but it certainly made it tougher.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Unfortunately I went the other way - got a promotion to a less active desk job and moved out of Manhattan (no car walking everywhere) to the suburbs (driving everywhere). Don’t know exactly how much I gained but it certainly made it tougher.
There are studies that say people who commented more than X amount (like 10-15 minutes) typically gain weight.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN

Just remember you don't have to do this alone and what works for one person does not always work for another.

I'm working with a dietician and weight loss doctor. I'm also open to weight loss medications and am currently on Metformin (also used for pre diabetes or Type 2 diabetes). My BMI was 34 when we started and is now down to 33. Honestly, if my BMI was 35 or higher, I would qualify for gastric sleeve surgery and would pursue that. But I refuse to gain wait for that reason. The weight is slow to come off, but honestly I'd rather make small lifestyle changes that I can handle and continue for the rest of my life instead of being overwhelmed with trying to do too much and give up entirely. So I'm working on what I eat, how much I eat and exercising.

If your insurance plan doesn't cover weight loss management, I would highly suggest Noom. My husband and I did that the beginning of last year and lost weight. You learn some great ways to retrain how you think about food and eating. My BMI then was just over 35 when I started that.

Recently my doctor and I were talking about my exercise. I have an Apple Watch and told her how I monitor my heart rate when I walk and try to get it up to certain ranges. She asked what my heart rate usually is, did some calculations and said, on what I consider my "shorter walk" days, my heart rate was in Zone 2 most of the time. She said there's a lot of research and data coming out with that.( To get your Zone 2 heart rate, subtract your age from 220, then calculate 60-70% of that.) She said research is showing athletes that worked out quite a bit in the Zone 2 heart rate had more stamina than others - like in long distance marathons (?). The other thing that doctors are finding out with Zone 2 is your body creates more mitochondria and improves mitochondrial health....and other things. Here's one website that helps explain it: https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/zone-2-cardio

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron