Headed to Chi town

booyaa187

Aug 23, 2006
I am leaving the house in a few min to head toward Chicago. I bought tix yesterday and was able to get 14th row, so I am guessing sales where not that great. I'll post of pix when I get back.

LetsPlay2

Dec 18, 2008
Des Moines
I will be listening to the radio tonight for that game. Cheer on the Cyclones and bring back a Chicago Invitational Championship!

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I'm afraid the crowd will be about as bad as the crowds I've been seeing for other "neutral court" games recently, for instance, the UCLA/Portland game last night.

Its the day after Thanksgiving......can't expect too much.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This is a huge game for us. I think if we beat them and play Notre Damn we will find out kind of where we stand.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I just called the ticket office and asked about ticket availability. They said there's "plenty" left and if I show up at 4:30pm I can definitely get tickets.

So in that case, i'll probably be attending tonight's game and most likely tomorrow's.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Don't let any hobos clean your shoes. They get violent.

Yup. I was 18 in Chicago with some of my friends from high school. It was late and a bum walked up and started cleaning my shoes. I pulled my foot away and he demanded $20 for his "service." I told him no way and walked away. He followed us down the street and yelled he was going to gut us. We took off for our hotel which was about a block away. He continued to chase us before we ducked into the hotel. I'm sure he could have got a nice crack rock with my $20.

Reactions: SplitIdentity

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I would expect a really good crowd. I know in Vegas there was a good 200+ ISU fans.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Yup. I was 18 in Chicago with some of my friends from high school. It was late and a bum walked up and started cleaning my shoes. I pulled my foot away and he demanded $20 for his "service." I told him no way and walked away. He followed us down the street and yelled he was going to gut us. We took off for our hotel which was about a block away. He continued to chase us before we ducked into the hotel. I'm sure he could have got a nice crack rock with my $20.

Almost exact similar story. Me and 3 others were walking to the pier in middle of the afternoon, when this guy came up and started cleaning my shoes. I also pulled my foot away, and he gets up and goes, "Pay me for my services!"

The thing is though, I only had $7.00 cash, and my girlfriend was right next to me. Rather than being all tough guy, I gave him a 5 and he backed off. Had I not been protecting anybody, I would have taken off as well. But when he started reaching in his pocket, I decided to play it safe.

Not a big fan of bums. It's people like that who make helping the homeless low on the totem pole for me. I just take comfort in knowing that while he was sleeping under a bridge last night with $5.00 he stole from a 21 year old, I was sitting in a nice warm house, surrounded by my family, eating a giant meal.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Many of the homeless in Chicago are professionals. They know what they are doing and aren't looking for real confrontation, although some are crazy - literally. Better to be safe than sorry, but really most are more annoying than dangerous. It really burns me though that there are people pretending to need help when there are actually those who do need it. Working security at a Chicago school for a while, I picked up a few stories, one which includes a homeless "regular" who was spotted on TV in a suit and with a wad of cash outside his usual spot. He is probably making a great living.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Many of the homeless in Chicago are professionals. They know what they are doing and aren't looking for real confrontation, although some are crazy - literally. Better to be safe than sorry, but really most are more annoying than dangerous. It really burns me though that there are people pretending to need help when there are actually those who do need it. Working security at a Chicago school for a while, I picked up a few stories, one which includes a homeless "regular" who was spotted on TV in a suit and with a wad of cash outside his usual spot. He is probably making a great living.

A great tax-free living. I can't imagine he's reporting that income.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
A great tax-free living. I can't imagine he's reporting that income.

Exactly. When I worked downtown as a college student during summers, I saw a guy at the same spot on a bridge every day with a cup. If one in five hundred people gave him something, he made a good living I am sure.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
there's random homeless people who hang out in my neighborhood (Gold Coast)..they expect since people are rich around here, they are just going to hand over money. Most are just asking for money and not doing anything for it. They get kicked out after a handful of minutes though.

One time I was going to get dinner, was listening to my iPod and some guy asked for money. I just kept on walking but I heard over my music "**** you man i hope you commit suicide" hahaha It was funny.

Two nights ago too, I was walking home at 3am and this guy did the whole "I'm 56 years old, just got out of jail...don't drink, don't do drugs." Same thing happened to me at a happy hour on the river about four months ago so right away I said "I don't have any cash" and he left right away.

I've only had one guy really try and clean my shoes and it was in the more touristy section of River North. If they tried that in gold coast, they'd get the cops called on them after awhile and they know not to do it here. They just ask for money straight up instead.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Exactly. When I worked downtown as a college student during summers, I saw a guy at the same spot on a bridge every day with a cup. If one in five hundred people gave him something, he made a good living I am sure.

Was it the guy on the corner of Madison & Wells in the wheelchair?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
there's random homeless people who hang out in my neighborhood (Gold Coast)..they expect since people are rich around here, they are just going to hand over money. Most are just asking for money and not doing anything for it. They get kicked out after a handful of minutes though.

I've only had one guy really try and clean my shoes and it was in the more touristy section of River North. If they tried that in gold coast, they'd get the cops called on them after awhile and they know not to do it here. They just ask for money straight up instead.

Yeah, I think the shoe shine must be for tourists. The Gold Coast used to have a lot of characters that came over from Cabrini Green area, but with it shrinking, I am guessing there are less now.

Was it the guy on the corner of Madison & Wells in the wheelchair?

No, it was on Randolph Street over the Chicago River between Wells and Canal. Not too far from there.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Yeah, I think the shoe shine must be for tourists. The Gold Coast used to have a lot of characters that came over from Cabrini Green area, but with it shrinking, I am guessing there are less now.

No, it was on Randolph Street over the Chicago River between Wells and Canal. Not too far from there.

Yeah, there's really not much of them left. Cabrini Green is almost gone. The only characters like that even close to around here is the McDonalds on State & Chicago. I hear though it's because there might be a shelter in the old YMCA building near it.

Ah nice....yeah there's a guy at the corner in a wheelchair. I think he's a vietnam vet or something. I've never actually heard him ask for money. He literally just sits in a motorized wheelchair, blanket when needed with a cup.

People actually converse with this guy though, so I know he's not a 100% shady character. People as in guys in suits will actually stop and talk to him.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yeah, there's really not much of them left. Cabrini Green is almost gone. The only characters like that even close to around here is the McDonalds on State & Chicago. I hear though it's because there might be a shelter in the old YMCA building near it.

Ah nice....yeah there's a guy at the corner in a wheelchair. I think he's a vietnam vet or something. I've never actually heard him ask for money. He literally just sits in a motorized wheelchair, blanket when needed with a cup.

People actually converse with this guy though, so I know he's not a 100% shady character. People as in guys in suits will actually stop and talk to him.

Yeah, I know where you mean on Chicago Ave. It is a little north of Holy Name Cathedral. There is/was a YMCA down the street, but I didn't know that had become a shelter. I don't get down there too often, but sometimes.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Yeah, I know where you mean on Chicago Ave. It is a little north of Holy Name Cathedral. There is/was a YMCA down the street, but I didn't know that had become a shelter. I don't get down there too often, but sometimes.

Yeah..that's what I had heard but it makes sense after I heard it. There's a lot of those types of people who hang out pretty much in a VERY small area.

I'm sure everyone around here will pressure the govt to move them elsewhere :D