Hawkeye athletics intro page...

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
That picture of the Iowa Wrestling team is the most distraught national champion team in any sport ever.
They all look pissed. To them it must be an individual sport.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Just looking at that picture I am kind of surprised Z couldn't roll out of that move. Maybe he tried and got his shoulders on the mat for just a second too long.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am just saying that if a TEAM wins a national title you should be happy. If you are the only guy on the team to not hit a home run in baseball but the team still wins the world series I am pretty sure you would be happy about it. I know they wanted to win for themselves however College sports are about team, not individual.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I am just saying that if a TEAM wins a national title you should be happy. If you are the only guy on the team to not hit a home run in baseball but the team still wins the world series I am pretty sure you would be happy about it. I know they wanted to win for themselves however College sports are about team, not individual.

Wrestling is not like baseball or any other team sport. It's individual first, team second.

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
although the hockeyes won the n/c in the wrestle backs and still didn't produce an individual n/c champion, thanks to caldwell of n.c.state, was to say the least shocking. i for one have often wondered why they give team points for medical forefits or any other forefit for that matter not only on the collegiate level but the high school level as well. shouldn't the athlete 'earn' the team points on the mat against an opponent or give less points for a forefit? if this would have been the case, then the hocks may not have won the n/c...any thoughts?

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
You have to award some type of points or coaches could duck the other teams best wrestlers and not give up fall or tech fall points. Luck of the draw. We draw a no. 3 seed to wrestle they draw a guy who I believe was injured wrestling Cyler. And no, I dont think Cyler wrestles dirty and tried to hurt.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
and help recovery time before the next match .... less tired more prep time

-keep

Well one was for 7th place on Saturday morning so there wasn't any matches after that, and the other was the first match on Friday for Tshirt and he went out the next match after so I wouldn't say they helped with prep time or being less tired for the Hawks.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I'm not going to take anything away from Iowa. They are my second favorite wrestling team... but Hawkeyescott if you really want to be technical...

Give Iowa wrestlers the seedings equal to their final rankings and I think theres a very good chance the Hawkeyes finish third in the team race. I'm not saying they didn't deserve their seedings... but they were a bit generous.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Sad thing is there could have been a few ISU grapplers in that picture, losing to a Hawkeye in the medal round. This pin just happened to be what turned out to be what clinched the title.

Help Support Us

Become a patron