GUTLESS Football.

BEWGER85

Oct 30, 2014
Rockford
We had nothing to lose today and we played not to lose all day. Took zero chances. It's sickens me. Should have just called in a forfeit. Where's the passion? Where's the fire? That's why I believed in Rhoads. He just packed it in and checked out. Glad this train wreck of a dumpster fire is over with.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
He tapped the emotional well one too many times.

But yeah. Don't make comments to the effect of "we're going to play with nothing to lose" and then play like trying to establish run game for rest of season

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
I wouldn't say zero chances... we did a little trickery with Jarvis, just didn't work out.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Agreed. I don't know when it happened or what compelled Rhoads to turn into a conservative head coach but the passive strategy today was a head scratcher. Nobody would have blamed him for being aggressive bordering on reckless, but to rein things in made zero sense.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
we haven't had anything to lose for months it didn't seem to effect the on the field product. For a guy who gets billed as a motivator that guys love to play for, CPR's teams seem to start flat nearly every game.

BEWGER85

Oct 30, 2014
Rockford
Another thing that really bothered me was the fact that he didn't give any bench warmers a chance to play in the end. We were getting blown out but god forbid he runs out the seniors that don't ever get a chance to play in their last game. That or the redshirt freshman and sophomores that haven't seen much to any playing time this year. Come on man. I will continue to donate as much as I can to cyclone athletics but I can't say that I will be buying season tickets for football next year with Rhoads at the helm.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Paul needs to be more like the winning coaches approach to the game. Two dinky church schools just throttled a 34k university. What is wrong with that picture? Did they think they were DSM Dowling?

Last edited:

ntxcyclone

Nov 16, 2013
I went to the game and it was interesting to see the gutless football in person. When we punted on 4th and 5 from 40 I'm curious to see if John and Eric have any comments. It's so ridiculous a TCU fan sitting next to me asked why we would punt.... my only response was that our coach is trying to win a 17-14 game I guess....what a joke

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
we haven't had anything to lose for months it didn't seem to effect the on the field product. For a guy who gets billed as a motivator that guys love to play for, CPR's teams seem to start flat nearly every game.

Interesting....my wife (who played college WBB on scholarship), commented that from the start, ISU looked like they were just going through the motions. Jogging to the huddles, no urgency of any kind...

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
He didn't use to coach like this, but it's gotten really bad... Worse than Ferentz bad.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I agree with the original poster. I knew that ISU had almost no chance, as I am sure the coaches did too. How about taking some crazy chances to see if you can make something happen. Throw the Freaking ball down the field, go on 4th and 5. Do anything but what the other team expects for a change.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Taking chances when your are absolutely getting destroyed up front makes little sense. Complaining about Taking chances when you lose by 10 is one thing. Not when you lose by 52 (thanks to tcus generosity)

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Another thing that really bothered me was the fact that he didn't give any bench warmers a chance to play in the end. We were getting blown out but god forbid he runs out the seniors that don't ever get a chance to play in their last game. That or the redshirt freshman and sophomores that haven't seen much to any playing time this year. Come on man. I will continue to donate as much as I can to cyclone athletics but I can't say that I will be buying season tickets for football next year with Rhoads at the helm.

I as hoping to see Shawn Curtis and/or Ryan Glenn get in there.

BEWGER85

Oct 30, 2014
Rockford
Taking chances when your are absolutely getting destroyed up front makes little sense. Complaining about Taking chances when you lose by 10 is one thing. Not when you lose by 52 (thanks to tcus generosity)
Are you serious? How about from the opening kickoff? Think we should of taken chances then?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I was only able to watch after the Jarvis interception. What I saw after half was a team going through the motions. Our technique and tackling on defense was poor and on offense, well did they even show up?

IMAVET

Nov 8, 2014
It seems to me that CPR is more clueless than gutless. I'm stunned that anyone defends him at this point. He should be fired, period, end of story. There isn't another power 5 school that would accept this level of incompetence and failure. The buyout…..yes I know about the buyout. I also know that if you want to play with the big boys you better be able to cut a $5 million dollar check or figure out a way to structure it so that it is palatable. Sorry, but the local boy made good storyline is done. The excuses relative to injury speak to the inability to recruit depth at any position. CPR is a bad head coach. Some guys are great coordinators and their skills don't transition to HC. CPR appears to be one another in a long line of coordinators who flame out as HC's.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron