Grunge vs. Hair Metal

Given the choice, which do you prefer?

• GRUNGE!

Votes: 122 70.1%
  • Hair Metal!

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • I need another choice

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Hey, just look at my half-dressed avatar sweetie!

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Where are you Gen Xers who grew up in the 80s with hair metal but loves grunge too? I've been to concerts by GnR, Poison and Nirvana among others.

GenX'er here, never was into hair bands. I was a 120 Minutes guy. Did like some grunge in the 90s.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
I liked some grunge but not really Pearl Jam. LOVED Alice in Chains.
I probably liked alternative more. Jane's Addiction, STP, Rage, Cranberries, 311.

I am convinced if Courtney Love doesn't blow Kurt Cobain's brains out, Alice in Chains is recognized as THE grunge band. Nirvana is right up there with The Beatles in most overrated band category

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Gen Xer, hated Poison, Winger, Warrant. Skid Row was OK, Loved AC/DC and Judas Priest, but Ministry and Smashing Pumpkins turned the tide for me. Nirvana helped a little

• Dislike
Reactions: cycloner29

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Gen Xer, hated Poison, Winger, Warrant. Skid Row was OK, Loved AC/DC and Judas Priest, but Ministry and Smashing Pumpkins turned the tide for me. Nirvana helped a little
Born in "71.. I was at a prime age to grow up with hair metal and loved it. Crue, Poison, Ratt, Whitesnake, Skid Row all were great. I kinda turned to metal though around '86 when Master of Puppets came out. Changed my life!! Then it was Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, etc...

When Pearl Jam 10 came out... grunge took over. Their best album in my mind. AIC, Soundgarden, Nirvana (to a lesser extent), are still my favorites to this day.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Is it OK to like both? I was a huge Bon Jovi fan in the 80s, then when I hit my teenage years it was all Grunge.
Pearl Jam has been my favorite band since the day I came home from school in junior high and saw the video for "Jeremy" on MTV.
Pearl Jam are musicians and songwriters, Motely Crue were performers and partiers.
Off topic, if anyone else here plays guitar and wants to hear some awful guitar tone, listen to CC Deville from Poison. It's unlistenable.

• Dumb
Reactions: michaelrr1

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Is it OK to like both? I was a huge Bon Jovi fan in the 80s, then when I hit my teenage years it was all Grunge.
Pearl Jam has been my favorite band since the day I came home from school in junior high and saw the video for "Jeremy" on MTV.
Pearl Jam are musicians and songwriters, Motely Crue were performers and partiers.
Off topic, if anyone else here plays guitar and wants to hear some awful guitar tone, listen to CC Deville from Poison. It's unlistenable.
Yes, I do play guitar. And YES you are correct... lol

• Haha
Reactions: NoCreativity

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
1991 was a watershed year. Smells Like Teen Spirit was a powerful tune, but when either of these two came on the radio it lit the hair of my neck on fire.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

You basically touched on the two best examples of bands to come out of each genre unscathed. Bon Jovi almost invented the big hair 80's style and Pearl Jam was a huge piece of the beginning of grunge. I would argue that they are really the best and maybe only examples of bands of each genre having continued success at a high level in terms of radio play and concert attendance. GnR and bands like Motley Crue still play big venues, but bands like that haven't had chart success in forever. Same could be said about grunge bands, but they don't even play those size venues. Dave Grohl is kind of an outlier. The Foos kind of came out of grunge and still hit the charts and play huge venues. Maybe Green Day made it out, but bands like Alice in Chains, STP, etc. were almost nostalgia acts when they were still active with original members. Sure, they were putting out new music, but nobody was playing it, buying it or going to shows to hear it.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Being the age that lived through it, it still marvels me how the entire rock music industry in '91 shifted emphasis in six months to grunge/alternative and by the start of the second year most of those 80's bands had no airplay at all, despite more than a decade of proven staying power for many of those bands.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Part comes down where you place certain bands. Bands like Van Halen, Aerosmith, and several other bands embraced the hair metal genre.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Seemed to be more a look and attitude than a sound. Hair bands were singing about getting loaded and laid while grunge guys were singing they were too loaded to get laid.
Gotta call BS right there. Song themes for hair bands were never much deeper than a short-lived mud puddle. Grunge bands covered some pretty deep and dark topics that touched quite a few fans. Guys like Layne Staley, Curt Cobain, Chris Cornell, Mike Starr, Scott Weiland and Andrew Wood carried those dark thoughts around until they couldn't any more.

• Haha
Reactions: michaelrr1