Greetings from a Sooner coming to Ames

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Pizza Pit delivered down stairs to Welch Ave Station last year and I could use a credit card on order. Be aware Welch Ave Station is a cash only bar (there is an ATM inside bar).
Yeah that's the crappy thing about Welch Ave Station. I do love heading there after games for beers and ordering tons of food from Pizza Pit

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Pizza Pit delivered down stairs to Welch Ave Station last year and I could use a credit card on order. Be aware Welch Ave Station is a cash only bar (there is an ATM inside bar).

ahhh, this probably explains why my kid was always buying gum and getting cash back at the convenience store there (think it was a Quik Trip in my day, maybe a Kum & Go now?). Probably wasn't his bank's ATM in WAS.:rolleyes: He was in a panic when he lost it and I told him just go back to the last place you used it. He said the clerk had a pile of cards there people had left/lost, at least two dozen. Probably all doing the same thing.

Reactions: CyInDFW

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Not disputing this, as I said Hickory Park is very good for what it is, and I love eating there. It's a great value, most the menu items are good, and you'll definitely leave full (and force yourself to eat some ice cream). I'm just saying if you only have one meal in Ames in your lifetime, maybe this isn't it, unless it's for the experience. I can't think of many other places to recommend though outside of maybe Great Plains or Old Main though.

That's kind of the problem with Ames's food situation. Not a lot of great stuff. Now, I love pizza so, to me, Jeffs is awesome (probably a lot of nostalgia there) but outside of that there's just a lot of options so HP is usually where I gravitate. When it's sold as a BBQ joint, though, it's going to disappoint a lot of people.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
That's kind of the problem with Ames's food situation. Not a lot of great stuff. Now, I love pizza so, to me, Jeffs is awesome (probably a lot of nostalgia there) but outside of that there's just a lot of options so HP is usually where I gravitate. When it's sold as a BBQ joint, though, it's going to disappoint a lot of people.

The Spice is amazing. Is that place still open? Where I found my love of Thai food!

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
What is it with people and the love for Jeffs. Its not great pizza at all. Good for an after bar snack I'll grant you...

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

The problem with Ames food is that the good stuff is hard to find. If you just go down Duff and LW, you'll pretty much see chain restaurants other than HP. The best places are on Main (Great Plains, The Spice, Aunt Maudes) and north in Somerset (The Café, Wallabys). To me, The Café and Great Plains are the best two places in Ames, but if you are bringing kids or a large group, you can't beat Hickory Park.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The problem with Ames food is that the good stuff is hard to find. If you just go down Duff and LW, you'll pretty much see chain restaurants other than HP. The best places are on Main (Great Plains, The Spice, Aunt Maudes) and north in Somerset (The Café, Wallabys). To me, The Café and Great Plains are the best two places in Ames, but if you are bringing kids or a large group, you can't beat Hickory Park.

This is one thing that bothers me about the campustown redevelopment. Sure, it needed work, but it seems like several unique places are going by the wayside and more chains are showing up there as well.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
This is one thing that bothers me about the campustown redevelopment. Sure, it needed work, but it seems like several unique places are going by the wayside and more chains are showing up there as well.
Although I agree with you, I guarantee a Potbelly and Starbucks looks a lot more appealing to prospective students than the "Campus Book Store and Morrie's Coffee" did.

• Agree
Reactions: chuckd4735

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I feel like Ames has a lot of good restaurants, but nothing I would call great. I think it is also hard to identify one restaurant that provides an awesome pregame atmosphere when someone new is asking. I think Hickory Park is probably the closest to this, just because of the number of people that eat there. In reality, at Iowa State the tailgates are the place to be pregame.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Hint for when you join the great Cyclone tailgaters-- Don't mention anything about "Can't Win the Big Anymore Bob" s playing days.

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
Even as a Sooner Alum, Boomer Sooner played about 150 X's a game is a bit much. We often wonder, as Sooners, why people rate it as one of the most despised fight songs out there. Perhaps, our repetitive playing of it, both during good and bad play???

Is that really 150, or does it just seem that way. U of TEE only plays "Rocky Top" 60 times a game and people really do count.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Nice site you guys have here. I have always loved your basketball team and love, absolutely love... when you guys beat the Jayhawks. Lord knows, even with good teams, we (OU) can never beat them. I am an OU alum living in the Kansas City area and the Mrs and I are coming up to the footbal game Thursday, marking our first visit there. We will be in town by noon on Thursday and I was curious of a couple of things. Any suggestions on where to grab a good bite to eat? Burgers, Pizza, etc...somewhere we can enjoy a beer as well before kickoff? Also, parking. Is there ample parking in and around the stadium? What should I expect as far as wait times for parking? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope for a good game with no injuries.

Please return and tell us where you went to eat in Ames!

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
What is it with people and the love for Jeffs. Its not great pizza at all. Good for an after bar snack I'll grant you...

I think it's pretty good pizza although I don't go there for anything other than lunch. You can't beat their lunch special where you get 2 huge slices and a drink for around $6. They always have a bunch of kinds available for lunch too.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

If you replace "unique" with old, crappy looking store fronts then you would be accurate. I understand everyone's nostalgia for the older businesses that have gone through that area but it looks so much better now.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
The place with the best pork tenderloin sandwich I've ever had closed down a couple years ago...the Suburban up on the Gilbert corner on Hwy 69. Man, I wish I could have one of those right now.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron