Greatest War movies?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I've watched Band of Brothers and SPR. Any films I should watch that focus on Normandy since I'll be visiting in the fall?

Longest Day -

I think a few more notable landmarks. St Marie Eglise for instance.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
All's quiet on the Western Front
The Best Years of Our Lives
The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Actually it was based on a true event Stalag 17

Phaedrus odd fun-fact -

I was stationed in Schweinfurt during my first Army tour, and our ammunition was stored at the old Luftstalag where "Hogan's Heroes" was alleged to have been set.

We would stay there about one week every two months, taking our turn guarding it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Bridge on the River Kwai (sp)
Guns of Navarone
Saving Private Ryan
Longest Day

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I liked Black Hawk Down, but I can definitely understand where you are coming from.

I wonder why the names of the Marines were left out of the movie? Weren't they mentioned in the book?

Probably because the MEU was withdrawn the week before the fight.

Actually, the MEU was withdrawn during a larger battle, which is now known as "The Battle of the Black Sea". The Marines were in the midst of kicking serious skinny butt when withdrawn for, um, "political reasons". And please, no commentary or this gets sent to "The Cave."

There were prolly some Marines around, but none were central to Bowden's story.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
They looked like Tigers to me, and I thought Tigers saw action even in North Africa???

I've heard stories that the Russians still have hundreds of those tanks covered in cosmoline in some caves.

They were T-34/85s that the Soviets had dressed up during WWII for training purposes. They were bought by Hollywood for the movie, and at least one of them is located in the Czech Republic. I saw it in 2006.

The Russians have a bunch of stuff, but not in good shape; unless you count the tanks in the museum near Moscow, or the ones they find occasionally in peat bogs. Most of them just need fuel, oil and they will run.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
No mention of The Dirty Dozen???

Here's a couple very much worth watching for war movie buffs:

WHEN TRUMPETS FADE
THE LOST BATTALION

Hamburger Hill is a classic!
Band of Brothers
Saving Pvt. Ryan
All the old war movies, Patton, Tora Tora Tora, etc.
Das Boat
U571
Enemy at the Gates
and a bunch more that have already been listed.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
They were T-34/85s that the Soviets had dressed up during WWII for training purposes. They were bought by Hollywood for the movie, and at least one of them is located in the Czech Republic. I saw it in 2006.

The Russians have a bunch of stuff, but not in good shape; unless you count the tanks in the museum near Moscow, or the ones they find occasionally in peat bogs. Most of them just need fuel, oil and they will run.

Ahh, you meant during the time of the movie.

I think the Discovery channel had something a few years back of an effort to restore a Tiger to running condition, I think they got it out of a river hole in Russia.

The story I heard about a cache of them in Russia was in some book I read, but even the author said that they were all likely melted for scrap in the 50's.

Tigers are always somewhat "Hollywooded" up, they were fearsome for sure, but the most effective tanks during the war were probably the Panthers, they were much more mobile and weren't broken down all the time, had a better gun and almost as good of armor.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Tee Hee. I've driven the Panther at the Patton Museum in Fort Knox, and got paid to do it.

Now I am officially jealous. :notworthy:

Driving a tank is one of my dreams. Specifically driving one over junk cars, and abandoned buildings, in a non-war zone of course!

hansen55

Apr 12, 2006
Avoca, IA
I like most war movies no matter how realistic they are or not. It takes a lot for me not to like one, but Thin Red Line and Jarhead sucked something terrible.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Probably because the MEU was withdrawn the week before the fight.

Actually, the MEU was withdrawn during a larger battle, which is now known as "The Battle of the Black Sea". The Marines were in the midst of kicking serious skinny butt when withdrawn for, um, "political reasons". And please, no commentary or this gets sent to "The Cave."

There were prolly some Marines around, but none were central to Bowden's story.

I appreciate the info.