Greatest Cyclone Quarterback

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Seneca is the best QB to ever wear cardinal and gold. Purdy will go down statistically as the best ever.

1. Seneca
2. Purdy
3. Amundsen
4. Sage

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
legend had it at the time that Alex Espinoza could throw the ball from end zone to end zone.
The legend I'd heard was that he could throw it the length of the Towers hallway without hitting the ceiling. The other legend (and probably more truthful) was that you never wanted to meet the guy.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not sure why this warrants a dumb rating (my first though, which I feel honored). He was the starting qb for my time at ISU and lead the team to their first bowl game in forever. Figured he deserved some love.

In forever??? What is your definition of forever? Since breaking the bowl drought in 2000 the most ISU has gone between bowl games is the 4 year gap which Arnaud which yes Arnaud was part of that team that went to the 2009 Insight bowl and then a 5 year gap between Liberty Bowls in 2012 and 2017 so that is really nothing considering we went 22 years without a bowl game before making a bowl in 2000.

I liked Arnaud but he isn't even in the top 5 conversation and I'm not even sure he was even better than Bret Meyer who doesn't sniff this conversation either. Those 2 QB if you go look up their stats had pretty similar careers actually.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm not sure it's Brock. I mean, his best season is 8 wins. Same with Seneca, comparing to Sage.

I agree that peak Seneca in these modern RPO teams would be bananas.

I also agree that Brock might be considered the best by the time that he leaves.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I can throw a football over them mountains.

200.webp

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm not sure it's Brock. I mean, his best season is 8 wins. Same with Seneca, comparing to Sage.

I also agree that Brock might be considered the best by the time that he leaves.

Is this really a fair comparison, though? In that 9-win season Sage didn't beat a single ranked team, and was steamrolled by the two ranked teams they actually played (1 Nebraska 49-27; @15 K-State 56-10).

Seneca Wallace never even won 8 games, so he's not even in this conversation.

Meanwhile, Purdy has a 3-6 record against ranked teams, including a top 10 win against 6 WVU, and 3 of those losses possibly being wins if things play out slightly differently (WSU last year, Iowa and Oklahoma - and perhaps even OSU this year).

The bottom line is you really don't want to get into a win-measuring contest with these QBs. Purdy has played significantly more difficult schedules than either Rosenfels or Wallace, and has had significantly greater success against those schedules than either of the other two as well.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Is this really a fair comparison, though? In that 9-win season Sage didn't beat a single ranked team, and was steamrolled by the two ranked teams they actually played (1 Nebraska 49-27; @15 K-State 56-10).

Meanwhile, Purdy has a 3-6 record against ranked teams, including a top 10 win against 6 WVU, and 3 of those losses possibly being wins if things play out slightly differently (WSU last year, Iowa and Oklahoma - and perhaps even OSU this year).

The bottom line is you really don't want to get into a win-measuring contest with these QBs. Purdy has played significantly more difficult schedules than either Rosenfels or Wallace, and has had significantly greater success against those schedules than either of the other two as well.

I tend to agree. And especially factoring in all the records that Purdy is getting or nearing.

It's also impossible to compare because of the schedules and the surrounding team. Maybe Sam Richardson would have been a AA if he'd had Sage's line. Or put Sage on some of the later Rhoads's lines :confused:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

This is troof.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Agree with all except the Wallace difficult schedule part. 2002 was the most difficult schedule in the nation. I don't excuse them for losing to UConn, but they did find 2 wins over an 11 win and 9 win team

• Optimistic
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Agree with all except the Wallace difficult schedule part. 2002 was the most difficult schedule in the nation. I don't excuse them for losing to UConn, but they did find 2 wins over an 11 win and 9 win team
Isn't that FSU and OU year? The OU game alone, yikes.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Isn't that FSU and OU year? The OU game alone, yikes.

What is optimistic about saying Wallace played a difficult schedule in 02? I don't think that's really even debatable.

yes to OU

edit: i see what you mean. "played better vs the competition"

then i agree for sure

• Friendly
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC