Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

  • Fanatics -

    Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

    Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

    We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

    We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

    We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

    Thanks again.

    Chris Williams - Publisher

CloneFan4

Well-Known Member
Aug 5, 2010
5,883
5,585
113
West Des Moines
Seems like the MSU writer and fans want to write off their lack of effort and inflated rating as something else. Simply put, they overlooked Iowa, and they're not good enough to do that with anyone (this isn't the first close game they've had with a very crappy team).
They played 5 games in 12 days. did little homework on the hawkroaches, had two key players in foul trouble for most of the game, and still won. Yeah I'd say they are good enough to overlook a crappy team.
 

herbicide

Well-Known Member
Mar 23, 2006
10,441
1,830
83
Ankeny, IA
Still strange to me there is this much of a circle jerk over Iowa's bad year when ISU is almost as bad.
Its still strange to me some don't understand the difference behind the spectacle. Everyone (ok, the vast majority) of ISU fans expected a rebuilding year and similar results to what we've seen.

On the other hand, the vast majority (including the local media) expected big things from Iowa...
 

BillBrasky4Cy

Well-Known Member
Dec 10, 2013
7,465
13,924
113
Fran is pulling down two programs. Historically players like Bohannon, Baer, and Pemsl went to UNI where they are successful. Now both programs are struggling.
The sad thing is that we've joked a lot about this in various ISR threads but there is some validity to it.
 

Shawker

Well-Known Member
SuperFanatic
Jun 19, 2014
1,940
1,710
113
34
Des Moines
You'll be hard pressed to find many Iowa fans who think there are more than a few power conference players on this Iowa roster. Cook is one obviously, and Garza is going to be a very good big. He already has 100x more offensive skill than Woodbury ever did. Bohannon is playing out of position at the 1, but is a deadly shooter. Moss looks like he belongs 25% of the time, and then disappears completely the other 75% of the time. Baer is a good hustle guy, but he's better suited for a mid-major program. Pemsl, Kriener, Ellingson, Wagner, and Uhl are low major programs at best.

The roster is just a mish-mash of parts that don't go together well, and the lack of a true point guard is really hurting them. Thankfully, Fran has locked up multiple PG's in these next two classes. Wait, he hasn't? Well ****.
 

iahawks

Well-Known Member
Sep 7, 2012
7,299
5,058
113
Its still strange to me some don't understand the difference behind the spectacle. Everyone (ok, the vast majority) of ISU fans expected a rebuilding year and similar results to what we've seen.

On the other hand, the vast majority (including the local media) expected big things from Iowa...
I feel most Iowa fans thought they would be on the right side of the bubble this year. Hardly big things.
 

FinalFourCy

Well-Known Member
Mar 5, 2017
9,357
9,144
113
36
Still strange to me there is this much of a circle jerk over Iowa's bad year when ISU is almost as bad.
Sometimes things are so awkward you can’t help but stare. But for Iowa basketball that freak-show draw is all the time.
 

1100011CS

Well-Known Member
Oct 5, 2007
13,408
2,833
113
Marshalltown
You'll be hard pressed to find many Iowa fans who think there are more than a few power conference players on this Iowa roster. Cook is one obviously, and Garza is going to be a very good big. He already has 100x more offensive skill than Woodbury ever did. Bohannon is playing out of position at the 1, but is a deadly shooter. Moss looks like he belongs 25% of the time, and then disappears completely the other 75% of the time. Baer is a good hustle guy, but he's better suited for a mid-major program. Pemsl, Kriener, Ellingson, Wagner, and Uhl are low major programs at best.

The roster is just a mish-mash of parts that don't go together well, and the lack of a true point guard is really hurting them. Thankfully, Fran has locked up multiple PG's in these next two classes. Wait, he hasn't? Well ****.
So, mid-major-like. [/jimlad]
 

Clonefan32

Well-Known Member
Nov 19, 2008
16,311
11,471
113
Still strange to me there is this much of a circle jerk over Iowa's bad year when ISU is almost as bad.
This is not very complicated.

Iowa State returned 18% of its scoring, and 16% of its minutes played. The entire roster had started a combined 12 games.

Iowa returned 73% of its scoring and 81% of its minutes. The entire roster had started a combined 131 games
 

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
87,612
39,355
113
50
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
They played 5 games in 12 days. did little homework on the hawkroaches, had two key players in foul trouble for most of the game, and still won. Yeah I'd say they are good enough to overlook a crappy team.
Not good enough to overlook them and walk away with an easy win. That game last night came down to Iowa mistakes at the end. If Iowa made any plays in the last two minutes or so, they're walking out with an L.
 

CyTwins

Well-Known Member
Jan 20, 2010
67,384
49,824
113
Ankeny
You'll be hard pressed to find many Iowa fans who think there are more than a few power conference players on this Iowa roster. Cook is one obviously, and Garza is going to be a very good big. He already has 100x more offensive skill than Woodbury ever did. Bohannon is playing out of position at the 1, but is a deadly shooter. Moss looks like he belongs 25% of the time, and then disappears completely the other 75% of the time. Baer is a good hustle guy, but he's better suited for a mid-major program. Pemsl, Kriener, Ellingson, Wagner, and Uhl are low major programs at best.

The roster is just a mish-mash of parts that don't go together well, and the lack of a true point guard is really hurting them. Thankfully, Fran has locked up multiple PG's in these next two classes. Wait, he hasn't? Well ****.
Have you watched him try to defend?
 
  • Like
Reactions: CyDude16

Gunnerclone

Well-Known Member
Jul 16, 2010
41,095
32,316
113
DSM
Have you watched him try to defend?
He’s truly an anchor on the defensive end.

And can we talk about Nunge for a minute? A 6-10” triple threat guy (not per me per Hok talkin heads) that can handle rated in the 200’s coming out of Indiana = RED FLAG somethings not there.
 

Rural

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
27,222
13,856
113
You'll be hard pressed to find many Iowa fans who think there are more than a few power conference players on this Iowa roster. Cook is one obviously, and Garza is going to be a very good big. He already has 100x more offensive skill than Woodbury ever did. Bohannon is playing out of position at the 1, but is a deadly shooter. Moss looks like he belongs 25% of the time, and then disappears completely the other 75% of the time. Baer is a good hustle guy, but he's better suited for a mid-major program. Pemsl, Kriener, Ellingson, Wagner, and Uhl are low major programs at best.

The roster is just a mish-mash of parts that don't go together well, and the lack of a true point guard is really hurting them. Thankfully, Fran has locked up multiple PG's in these next two classes. Wait, he hasn't? Well ****.


I saw him losing his money at blackjack a few weeks ago at Riverside.

Seeing him only a few feet away, my first thought was, "Are you Fing kidding me".

I could have taken the lady blackjack dealer and worked with her for 10 or 15 minutes and had her posting him up.
 

Gunnerclone

Well-Known Member
Jul 16, 2010
41,095
32,316
113
DSM
I saw him losing his money at blackjack a few weeks ago at Riverside.

Seeing him only a few feet away, my first thought was, "Are you Fing kidding me".

I could have taken the lady blackjack dealer and worked with her for 10 or 15 minutes and had her posting him up.
Baer is proof that talent beats hard work when hard work has no talent.
 

1UNI2ISU

Well-Known Member
Jan 30, 2013
2,211
1,604
113
37
Waterloo
Fran is pulling down two programs. Historically players like Bohannon, Baer, and Pemsl went to UNI where they are successful. Now both programs are struggling.
EXACTLY THIS!!

Take Bohannon, Pemsl, Kriener and Dailey who all had UNI offers and put them in Cedar Falls and UNI is winning The Valley and might be a second weekend team if the matchups were right. They're nothing more than role players trying to play too many minutes in the Big Ten when they could be 25-30 minute impact players in the Valley.

The other awesome thing Fran does is waits until right before signing day in the case of Kriener and Bohannon to offer so it really screws UNI over. To be fair, UNI did pull the offer to Bohannon after McCloud committed which at the time looked like the right move...
 

Gunnerclone

Well-Known Member
Jul 16, 2010
41,095
32,316
113
DSM
EXACTLY THIS!!

Take Bohannon, Pemsl, Kriener and Dailey who all had UNI offers and put them in Cedar Falls and UNI is winning The Valley and might be a second weekend team if the matchups were right. They're nothing more than role players trying to play too many minutes in the Big Ten when they could be 25-30 minute impact players in the Valley.

The other awesome thing Fran does is waits until right before signing day in the case of Kriener and Bohannon to offer so it really screws UNI over. To be fair, UNI did pull the offer to Bohannon after McCloud committed which at the time looked like the right move...
Still does imo
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron