Good IPA's?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm a bit late to the conversation... I'm a huge IPA fan and have had the luxury to try over a 1000 different ones. I also brew my own and based on a few comments in this thread, it's obvious a few others do as well.

A lot of great IPAs have been mentioned, however, in my opinion, Tree House Brewing Company (MA) easily makes the best IPAs. The originals and variations of King Julius, Julius, Very Hazy, Very Green, Juice Machine, and Doubleganger are all outstanding. These beers are all rated among the best in the world.

Pliny the Younger from Russian River (CA), Headroom from Trillium (MA), and Heady Topper from The Alchemist (VT) are also among the best.

Cheers!

About 75% of the time I actually get to try one of the legendary beers, I'm usually a little disappointed. 3 Floyd's, RR Pliny the elder, alchemist heady topper and focal banger, etc. are all great beers but nothing mind blowing. I can't remember the last time I had one of these whales and was blown away.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
About 75% of the time I actually get to try one of the legendary beers, I'm usually a little disappointed. 3 Floyd's, RR Pliny the elder, alchemist heady topper and focal banger, etc. are all great beers but nothing mind blowing. I can't remember the last time I had one of these whales and was blown away.
Those are all whales of days past though. Pliny, Heady, Focal, all incredible beers. There may not be a better West Coast IPA than Pliny. There may not be a more balanced IPA than Heady. Do they stand up to these new NEIPA's? I guess that's up to the drinker, but I'll still take Heady over any other IPA if offered.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Those are all whales of days past though. Pliny, Heady, Focal, all incredible beers. There may not be a better West Coast IPA than Pliny. There may not be a more balanced IPA than Heady. Do they stand up to these new NEIPA's? I guess that's up to the drinker, but I'll still take Heady over any other IPA if offered.

Definitely good beers, there is no doubt about it, but a lot of the lure came with the limited availability of the beer. Very similar to Zombie Dust here in the Chicago area. It was always limited release and you were just hoping to be able to score a 6 pack. But you had to be at the liquor store on Thursday to get it.

A lot of IPA haters in here. Should ask them what their favorite flavor of wine cooler is.

They swore off beer when they heard Zima was making a comeback.

I don't personally get the hate for an IPA, sure, not your thing, fine. I'm not a big fan of big barrel aged stouts. I don't run around telling everyone how they suck. And even though I don't prefer to drink them. I can still tell a well made Barrel Aged beer from a ****** one.

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
A lot of great IPAs have been mentioned, however, in my opinion, Tree House Brewing Company (MA) easily makes the best IPAs. The originals and variations of King Julius, Julius, Very Hazy, Very Green, Juice Machine, and Doubleganger are all outstanding. These beers are all rated among the best in the world.

I'd do some silly things to get my hands on some Tree House and Trillium again. The beers were fantastic, and I am in love with Green and Very Green. Had a few others as well.
Trillium beers were also outstanding. I guess I need to get back on homebrewtalk and see if the guys I've traded with in the past can still get it!

Oh, and I brew as well - have a West Coast IPA and a NEIPA fermenting now.

Reactions: Clonefan94

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Kalona has a new one out called Hot Mess, a DIPA. It's somewhere between a Hopslam and a Golden Nugget in taste, but closer to Golden Nugget in overall quality. At 8.3% and $8.99 for a 4-pack of tall boys (at New Pi, which isn't a cheap place to get beer), it's worth a try!

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Did a beer tasting at my friends place on Saturday and really enjoyed the “Every Day, Once A Day, Give Yourself An IPA” bu Evil Twin Brewery...

Brewed with lactose and vanilla beans, it was easily one of the best IPAs I’ve had lately.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
7 Hills Brewery in Dubuque makes one of the best IPA's I've ever had. 7 Headed Monster IPA

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I enjoy the NEIPA's but honestly feel like it's a played out fad for me

May be because it's winter and I'm enjoying Stouts/Porters/Lagers more right now.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Did a beer tasting at my friends place on Saturday and really enjoyed the “Every Day, Once A Day, Give Yourself An IPA” bu Evil Twin Brewery...

Brewed with lactose and vanilla beans, it was easily one of the best IPAs I’ve had lately.

I don't think I could consider a beer with lactose and vanilla beans an "IPA."

But I'm fairly traditional with my beer styles . . .

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I don't think I could consider a beer with lactose and vanilla beans an "IPA."

But I'm fairly traditional with my beer styles . . .

Tottaly get where you are coming from; however, it was still a great tasting beer.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
The new Extinction Event from Confluence is very good.

I’d also recommend trying:
Huma Lupa Licious from Shorts
Batsquatch from Rogue
Enjoy by 4/20 by Stone

• Agree
Reactions: StormnClone58