Good IPA's?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I had my first IPA yesterday in over 5 years. Last time I had one, I thought they were gross. I tried Sierra Nevada's Resilience yesterday and thought it was pretty good. Maybe they've gotten better, or maybe my taste has just changed. Either way, what are some other good ones I should try that are available in the Des Moines area? Need to forget that game.

• Useful
Reactions: Latto and ISUKyro

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
I had my first IPA yesterday in over 5 years. Last time I had one, I thought they were gross. I tried Sierra Nevada's Resilience yesterday and thought it was pretty good. Maybe they've gotten better, or maybe my taste has just changed. Either way, what are some other good ones I should try that are available in the Des Moines area? Need to forget that game.

congrats on the puberty

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
IPAs have really evolved in the past 5-6 years. Dry hopping, which is where the hops are added during fermentation, as opposed to during the boil, has become a common technique. This gives beer intense hop flavors without all the bitter acid that comes out of the hop when it’s boiled. The resulting IPA is much less bitter than the ones being made previously.

Lucky for you, we’re at ground zero for great IPAs in Iowa. Toppling Goliath makes a ton. Pompeii is my favorite. Confluence makes a lot of good ones too. Des Moines IPA is more traditional, but their Extinction Event is a New England (the more modern) style. Lake Time’s Haze of Our Lives is damn tasty. Big Grove cans some really good IPAs too.

Our beer scene is really damn good given our population and culinary reputation.

Last edited:

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
There are some many different IPA styles now that it is pretty easy for someone to find something they like. Part of that is the branding of "IPA" is so recognizable that it much easier for brewers to market something called an IPA. Labels can be misleading and creates some beer prejudice. Serially drink whatever new beers you can find and see what you like and what you don't. That is part of the fun for me.

IPA Means Nothing Anymore

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There are some many different IPA styles now that it is pretty easy for someone to find something they like. Part of that is the branding of "IPA" is so recognizable that it much easier to for brewers to market something called an IPA. Labels can be misleading and creates some beer prejudice. Serially drink whatever new beers you can find and see what you like and what you don't. That is part of the fun for me.

IPA Means Nothing Anymore

There’s a lot of truth in this post.

Basically any ale with a lot of hops gets called an IPA these days. They’re even hopping the **** out of lagers and calling them IPLs, and I’m definitely a fan.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The only Toppling Goliath I've had was disgusting. It was like chewing on some pine needles. Hops are overrated. A little can add to some beers but keep it simple. Was also not a fan of Confluences Des Moines IPA.

Just give me a good German Lager any day.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The only Toppling Goliath I've had was disgusting. It was like chewing on some pine needles. Hops are overrated. A little can add to some beers but keep it simple.

I got you fam

beer_117825

Reactions: jcyclonee

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The only Toppling Goliath I've had was disgusting. It was like chewing on some pine needles. Hops are overrated. A little can add to some beers but keep it simple. Was also not a fan of Confluences Des Moines IPA.

Just give me a good German Lager any day.

You’re as nuts in this forum as you are in the cave.