Going back to school advice

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Hey,

I've been working a few years following graduation in healthcare and I'm making great money but I'm considering going back to school for further education, specifically possible medical school or a PA program. Any MD/DO or PAs here that can shine some light on this decision? I had pretty good grades in undergrad and initially thought about medical school and have taken the MCAT. However, I'm not so sure about the time commitment and costs (currently debt free which is nice). Any advice?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anecdotal note from the Twin Cities for University of Wisconsin - La Crosse.

All of the PA's at the family clinic I go to went through the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse/Gundersen Lutheran/Mayo PA Program. Nephew-in-law, who was working as a respiratory therapist, just finished up going to back to school at La Crosse to be a nurse anesthetist. They moved from Billings there for the school and ended up staying with a great local job offer.

BTW, La Crosse has REALLY changed. I remember it as this seemingly rundown old river town 25 years ago but it's changed significantly. Pretty nice city and downtown these days.

Reactions: MNCYWX

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My wife finished medical school this spring (started dating as undergradutes) and is in her residency now. What are you curious about?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Have a relative who is a PA. Went to Des Moines University. Got out of Iowa State with no debt, but I think wound up with $25,000 debt from PA school. Took her a while to settle in with a job she liked. Husband makes good money so I don't think it took long to eliminate the debt. She has young children and they are letting her work part time, which she enjoys.

She is the only person I know who retook Organic Chemistry because she got a B and was worried about getting into PA school. Did get an A on second try.

Reactions: MNCYWX

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hey,

I've been working a few years following graduation in healthcare and I'm making great money but I'm considering going back to school for further education, specifically possible medical school or a PA program. Any MD/DO or PAs here that can shine some light on this decision? I had pretty good grades in undergrad and initially thought about medical school and have taken the MCAT. However, I'm not so sure about the time commitment and costs (currently debt free which is nice). Any advice?
If you aren't married or have kids, do it now. Those two events will make it much more difficult.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Anecdotal note from the Twin Cities for University of Wisconsin - La Crosse.

All of the PA's at the family clinic I go to went through the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse/Gundersen Lutheran/Mayo PA Program. Nephew-in-law, who was working as a respiratory therapist, just finished up going to back to school at La Crosse to be a nurse anesthetist. They moved from Billings there for the school and ended up staying with a great local job offer.

BTW, La Crosse has REALLY changed. I remember it as this seemingly rundown old river town 25 years ago but it's changed significantly. Pretty nice city and downtown these days.

La Crosse... beautiful city that has really cleaned up lately. Vibrant downtown area too.

Have a relative who is a PA. Went to Des Moines University. Got out of Iowa State with no debt, but I think wound up with $25,000 debt from PA school. Took her a while to settle in with a job she liked. Husband makes good money so I don't think it took long to eliminate the debt. She has young children and they are letting her work part time, which she enjoys.

She is the only person I know who retook Organic Chemistry because she got a B and was worried about getting into PA school. Did get an A on second try.

My sister also went to DMU for PA. As far as the debt thing... I'm sure you are well aware there are several places that offer loan forgiveness options in exchange for length of tenure. You'll find this at a lot of rural hospitals as it's often hard to recruit to those areas.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron